Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 How did you save money this week?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic How did you save money this week? Next Topic
Page: of 31

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2016 :  06:02:29 AM  Show Profile
Jaime,
Thats great. My daughter took the turkey carcass from our thanksgiving dinner. Last time I visited her, she and her husband gave me 4 pints of turkey stock they had made with it. I didn't have to do the work, so it was a money saver and time saver. Very sweet of them to share.

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

Needle
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Judy
Kissimmee Florida
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2016 :  06:31:13 AM  Show Profile
Daisy, fresh eggs! Wish we had some. DH used to work with a lady who would bring in some. They were wonderful. Our neighbor across the street tried to tell me they were duck eggs because the were different colors and sizes !! :). Lol.
We just bought a new Civic hybrid and I'm loving it. Got 40 mpg with the last tank. That was in traffic!!
My big savings this week was $5.00 in coupons at Walmart then got an extra.50 on a jar of mayo with Saving Star.
Found out that Good Will has a web site that you can keep track of your donations and get a total at the end of the year. I was planning on doing some purging of my closest so this adds to my motivation!

Farm Girl Sister #6566

The road of life is made smoother when traveled with someone you love.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2016 :  10:27:21 AM  Show Profile
I bought 2 bags of blood oranges on marked down shelve for 99 cents each. They yielded the following:

Cooked 2 oranges with a butternut squash.
Cooked 2 oranges with 8 pork chops.
Dried 2 quarts & 1 pint slices.
8 1/2 pint jars blood orange marmalade.

I'm happy with what I could do for $1.98.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  05:57:06 AM  Show Profile
YellowRose - That is awesome!!!

I froze 6 dozen eggs using my silicon muffin pans. Just cracked the eggs into each cup, scrambled them together and popped in the freezer! I was able to pick up 5 dozen eggs for $3.75 on my last run to our favorite butcher shop (they also carry a small line of groceries) so between that and a $0.99 egg sale at Aldi we are stocked for a while!

I also picked up a large pack of chicken thighs on markdown from Meijer for $3.79 - split it up and froze them - got two bags of 4 and one bag of 3 - easily enough to form the basis of three meals!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  07:49:48 AM  Show Profile
Jaime, do you thaw the eggs before using them? Are they good for breakfast or just baking?

My three chickens give me an average of a dozen eggs every 4 days. I give most of them away but if I could freeze some it would be handy for me.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  08:42:56 AM  Show Profile
I will thaw them overnight in the fridge before using for either scrambled eggs or in baking. So I'll just take the appropriate number of frozen egg "hockey pucks" out of the ziplock bags and put them in a container in the fridge to thaw.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  08:55:59 AM  Show Profile
Thanks I'll give it a try.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  3:41:36 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Our neighbor GIVES us fresh eggs from his chickens. He was very generous not too long ago and I froze about 1 1/2 doz. I don't have a silicone mold, so I used PAM spray on some small "bathroom" size plastic drinking cups, set them in a flat Tupperware container, broke one egg per cup and froze. I can also just thaw them in the fridge.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13564 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13564 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  3:43:06 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
P.S.
Yesterday our neighbor gave another 18-pack carton of eggs. I thanked him in an email this morning and his response "you two have eggs for life! I love you!" Now that warms my heart . . . (the "I love you" part most especially!)

This guy is single (divorced), in his early 50s, has dreadlocks and tattoos, but he is the NICEST, most helpful neighbor ever!

CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Feb 24 2016 3:44:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2016 :  05:43:52 AM  Show Profile
CJ - Awww, that is so awesome!!!

I took action to prevent throwing out a large portion of whole milk that was in the fridge - coming up on best by date. Made a batch of bread (used 4 cups), a double batch of blueberry muffins (used 2.5 cups) and a 1/2 batch of from scratch pudding (used 1.5 cups).

Go to Top of Page

Needle
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Judy
Kissimmee Florida
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2016 :  08:49:43 AM  Show Profile
Didn't know you could freeze eggs! I freeze milk all the time. Gallons are cheeper and its just my DH and I so we don't go through milk very fast.

Farm Girl Sister #6566

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2016 :  05:53:19 AM  Show Profile
Eggs, milk, butter, cheese, bread - all freeze great!!!

I have a big bag of cheese from Sam's I'm getting ready to divide up into smaller ziplocks and throw in the freezer. I still have a few small ziplocks from the last bag I got from them.

Such a better price and it lasts us a while if I break it up like that.

What I should really do is buy the blocks, shred it, flash freeze it and then put in bags but haven't taken the time just yet! Maybe next time!

I used coupons + sale to get cans of wet dog food for $0.46 a can (normally $0.75) - we mix wet with softened dry food for our senior dogs - they seem to have a easier time chewing it!

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2016 :  08:02:38 AM  Show Profile
I just got more cheese than I can eat in a month from two friends. There are several different kinds. I am thinking I will shred like Jaime does and mix two cheeses together before freezing. Any advice?

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2016 :  08:31:57 AM  Show Profile
Marie I would suggest you spread the shredded cheese out on a lg plate or tray covered with parchment or wax paper and put into freezer. As the cheese freezes toss it around so it stays loose. When frozen it can be put into freezer zip-lock bag and used as needed.

Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2016 :  03:53:59 AM  Show Profile
Jaime
Thanks for sharing, I will need to freeze some of my eggs. I just bought another dozen and I have a dozen in the fridge already, it was one of those days!
Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2016 :  06:02:25 AM  Show Profile
Used up some of the milk I had frozen in pancakes and then in cornbread this weekend - worked GREAT!!!

This is probably a no-brainer "savings" but I made taco meat one night and after dinner I immediately froze the remaining taco meat - about half of it - in a freezer bag so we have either a quick start to another meal or I'll use a little bit at a time out of the bag for lunches on my own.

Also saved the cardboard inserts from inside the fat quarters I bought (50% sale at Joann's!!!) - they are sitting on my craft table ready to be cut up into different shapes (stars, hearts and so on), then spread with white glue and sprinkled with glitter. I use these shapes for all sorts of projects - cards, gift tags, etc. and the thin cardboard works perfect. I save some of our food packaging for this same purpose - the insides of the boxes are plain and works great!

I also went through my tote of fabric and found a TON of material that I can use to make projects I've been eyeballing! Trying to keep my crafting focused on things I can make with buying little to no supplies - I have so much saved up - just need to start using it!!!
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2016 :  09:49:42 AM  Show Profile
Forgot a couple of other things!

We buy paper towels in bulk from Sam's and the packages come in a large plastic bag. I try to remember to be careful when opening - cutting a slit on one of the narrower ends. That way when the bag is empty I can use it as a trashbag in the small kitchen size covered trash container I have in the laundry room. Fits perfectly!!!

I also stopped at a local thrift store and picked up two glass vases for $0.50 each - we plan to buy a couple of spring bouquets for DH's mother and for her cousin (we eat at her house for Easter) and instead of buying a more expensive arrangement already in a vase we'll use the ones I got. I have plenty of ribbon so I'm planning to make pretty bows to tie around the vase necks. We'll end up with really pretty gifts that would have cost way more if purchased already assembled :)
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2016 :  12:05:39 PM  Show Profile
I went to Savers today carrying two bags of stuff I did not want. As a result I received a coupon for a 30% discount. With that I bought a pair of jeans (5.99/4.19), a pair of really nice sweat pants (12.99/9.09) and a pair of dressy shoes (3.99/2.79). In total I saved $6.90. The clerk gave me a punch card with 5 punches on it. (A punch for every $5 of the original price.) When I have ten more punches I will receive another 30% discount if completed and used before the end of April. I saved a whole bunch more by not giving in to the temptation of buying stuff I didn't need. I will just have to do a little hem adjusting before I wear them.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6794 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6794 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2016 :  11:49:15 AM  Show Profile
I saved over $40 at the grocery store this morning - clearances - markdowns - buy one get one for a penny sale. Spam on sale for 2 for $5 and I like to keep it in the pantry for quick & easy meals. 35 cent coupon on top of each can and at check-out the cashier said "you know the coupons are tripled". I didn't know and I thanked her for telling me. The Spam ended up costing me $2.90 for 2 cans. I like those kinds of surprises at check-out.

Go to Top of Page

Needle
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Judy
Kissimmee Florida
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2016 :  6:33:32 PM  Show Profile
I went shopping yesterday, coupons in hand! Stopped at Publix, remembered to turn on my shop kicks.. Then went to Winn Dixie. Total spent, $43.64, saved $13.64. That includes 2 bottles of shampoo, half price and $1.50 coupon for each one! Got home and the check out girl gave me 2.00 each coupon. The shampoo was free! :)

Farm Girl Sister #6566

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2016 :  07:25:33 AM  Show Profile
Great deals with all those sales and coupons, ladies!!! :)

We've had a break in the weather and have turned off the heat accordingly - got a little chilly by this morning but we're going to see how long we can go before we turn it back on!

I froze the leftover buttermilk from making a cake this weekend instead of letting it sit in the fridge until bad!

And I finally took care of something I brought home from a work lunch a few weeks ago. They brought in Italian food and the restaurant provided lots of little plastic cups of grated Parmesan cheese. At the end of the day, no one wanted the cheese and it was going to get tossed.

So I swooped in and brought them home and threw in the fridge. Got them out yesterday and emptied them all into a pint mason jar and had enough to fill it to the top! So that's not bad for free! DH uses Parmesan cheese on everything!!!
Go to Top of Page

Needle
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Judy
Kissimmee Florida
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2016 :  3:54:18 PM  Show Profile
Good job!!

Farm Girl Sister #6566

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2016 :  8:32:42 PM  Show Profile
We turned the furnace off and are using the fireplace on these chilly nights. DH and I have changed our cell phone plans. Instead of paying over $200/month (he signed a contract 2 years ago). We are now paying only $45 each/month. Unlimited everything. The only catch? After using 2GB, they slow the data speed down. I hit the 2GB, but haven't noticed that data loads any slower.
I wanted a new chicken coop, but we didn't want to spend any $. Soooo, we turned my old garden shed into a chicken condo. I'll post some pics later. My turkey is not happy because he can't get in, so he's camped out on the porch.

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2016 :  9:59:57 PM  Show Profile
Lora, and I thought only hens were brooding. Lol. I can just see him waiting to get into the shed-coop.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2016 :  04:19:09 AM  Show Profile
I had bins full of old clothes in the basement that I don't know why I even kept, but I did. Last month while I was taking care of family while they were sick I started going through them. I saved buttons, zippers, trims and anything else that was unique or useful. I also kept scraps of most of the fabrics, a 6" square, a 4" and a 2". In some cases I kept more of the fabrics, and things that were in really good shape went into the donation bin. I just finished this, so I have lots of fabric to play with now, and zippers and buttons galore. Plus I cleaned out storage space and it kept me sane while I was caretaking all the sick folks. Feels great!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 31 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic How did you save money this week? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page