Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 How did you save money this week?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic How did you save money this week? Next Topic
Page: of 31

HodgeLodge
True Blue Farmgirl

662 Posts

Tiana
Berkeley Springs WV
USA
662 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  10:41:37 AM  Show Profile
This week it was for sure staying home. If I don't go out I don't spend anything. I also think most everything I want I can find at a thriftstore or mission store eventually. I try not to buy new. Sometimes I just have to wait a bit for it to come.

Farmgirl #4817-The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2018 :  06:00:55 AM  Show Profile
Used coupon to get 20% off reg priced items at JoAnn's yesterday - which was embroidery floss and clear cellophane bags from the cake aisle. Also got paper at 60% off (a few sheets) and a handful of Valentines items at 70% off that I'll use for treat bags for DS's classroom (also what clear cellophane bags were for).

Had a $5 reward from Kohls to use and a 20% purchase coupon so picked up a toy for DS's Easter basket as well as a shirt and a hooded sweatshirt for him that were on clearance. Entire purchase was $16 and some change, not bad!

Also purchased some items for DS's Easter basket on Amazon - used $40 some dollar Discover rewards balance to get most of it. :)

Edited by - AuntJamelle on Feb 13 2018 06:01:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2018 :  06:31:16 AM  Show Profile
Jaime, great job on saving money.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2018 :  09:25:22 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sara!

Found a great deal on some red OPI nail polish on Amazon yesterday, a little over $4 shipped! Will put some cotton balls in a quart Mason jar, add polish, small bottle of nail polish remover, emery board and fingernail scrub brush and give to a girlfriend that has a birthday coming up in a few weeks!

Ordered Frontline for both dogs today, using Discover points - was able to get 6 month supply for largest dog plus 3 month supply (we have 3 months left for other dog at home) for $74 shipped - not bad!

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2018 :  07:13:41 AM  Show Profile
So I'm working on decorating the house - not that it wasn't decorated before - but I always get the itch this time of year once the last of Christmas/winter gets put away. Another big motivator might be the fact that DH and I just binge watched the first 3 seasons of Fixer Upper on Hulu. It might be...just sayin'! :)

I do not, however, want to drop a ton of cash on my efforts. Luckily I've been able to "shop at home" for several items but I've snagged some good deals too! Went to a Goodwill in the "rough" part of town - it's the biggest one, always has better stuff - and found:

- A couple of large, really pretty baskets that I'll either use in decor or as gift baskets come Christmas time
- Wooden Skirt Hangers ... plan to use to hang art in the laundry room
- Wooden @ symbol, unpainted...plan to paint (color TBD) and use in one of my arrangements on a high shelf or above cupboards
- Small green cut glass dish...because it was pretty...and it was $0.99
- Wooden Rolling Pin...will use for decor only!

All of that for less than $10! I just had to deal with the mentally off person standing by checkout emitting a never ending string of chatter about terrible things in the news - it was a little uncomfortable. He kept trying to make me look at him :( Then he started saying things like, "This girl won't look at me. I bet you a $100 she won't look at me"

I waited until I had my bags gathered up and was walking out the door and just gave him a little smile. He was pleased as punch - kept talking a mile a minute at the air and left me alone! I may not go to that store again without DH!

Then I went to Goodwill on OUR side of town and found a wooden spatula, another basket and a 3" binder I'm going to use for a scrapbooked recipe book project this Christmas. Think I spent $7 something total?

Finally, I stopped in at a store named Dealz and found a few more wooden utensils for $0.99 each - planning to put wooden kitchen utensils in pretty wooden caddy I found at TJ Maxx a while back and then up on top of kitchen cabinets...

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2018 :  07:48:23 AM  Show Profile
Jaime you did good. I've seen pictures of wooden utensils with cup hooks to hang things like aprons.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2018 :  06:44:43 AM  Show Profile
Went to Joann's yesterday to get some supplies for Christmas gift crafting this year - used two 50% off coupons to get the two rolls of dark red burlap I need for a wreath gift project. So they were $4.50 each instead of $9!

Also picked up buttons on clearance - a few small cards for $0.25 each and one larger pack of buttons and beads for $2.47

Got 50% off a charm I needed for another project - so that was only $1.50 instead of $3

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2018 :  06:56:55 AM  Show Profile
Jaime, you did good.

Since I gave up driving back in March I order much of my food, all of Annie's food, and household supplies off Amazon. They have deals like buy 5 selected items and get $6 off. When I can I do that and save $6 plus no shipping. It takes time to go through all the items but I usually come up with five. I also save time and energy by skipping aisles in the grocery store. Time & energy are as important as money to me.

My biggest savings is no car insurance or upkeep.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2018 :  07:43:12 AM  Show Profile
That all sounds awesome, Sara! I know a lot of people are going the route of delivered groceries these days. Isn't it funny how that has come full circle??? Most of our local stores have that offered now including Aldi.

Picked up two plain tank tops at Target yesterday - 2 for $14 - will add some embroidery to embellish them and give as a gift this Christmas.

Go to Top of Page

Eliz~
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Elizabeth
Saint Cloud MN
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2018 :  9:07:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Eliz~ a Yahoo! Message
Sometimes on Amazon if you put something in your wish list the price comes down!! Several times I've gotten up to 25% on a pricier items and a few dollars or more of smaller items. You have to check your list weekly. Sometimes it was something that sat on my list a month. Sometimes it was a few weeks.
My wish list helps me not impulse buy. If I "think" I "want" it I put it in there. Even by the next day I'll often delete it! :o)
Also I sew my clothes. Much cheaper!

Joyfully, Eliz~
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2018 :  4:44:49 PM  Show Profile
Didn't leave the house, and didn't shop on line... yep, saved lots of money! lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

loribeck
True Blue Farmgirl

588 Posts

Lori
Alvordton 36
USA
588 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2018 :  4:29:48 PM  Show Profile
I made my own foaming hand soap and stopped buying my coffee in the mornings. I make it at home now. I also stopped eating out as much. Wow! That saved me a ton of money.

Lori Beck
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2019 :  1:20:56 PM  Show Profile
I saved money this week on some fabric 2.99 yard . Ya!!!

Ruthie Ann

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2019 :  1:22:39 PM  Show Profile
I saved money this week on some fabric 2.99 yard . Ya!!!

Ruthie Ann

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2019 :  1:50:07 PM  Show Profile
I saved a little over $9 at the grocery store this week. But my sister did really good. Local store bought 30 boxes of whole chickens and sold them for .79 a lb. Then marked down to 39 lb and she bought 4 on Tue. Thurs the chickens were marked down again to .15 lb and she bought the last 6 to can.

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2019 :  3:06:01 PM  Show Profile
Lori I would love to know how to make the foaming soap!

Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2019 :  08:51:52 AM  Show Profile
Hay there.

I have joined a January pantry challenge. That means for the whole month I try to eat out of my pantry/freezer/fridge and cut my grocery bill in half. I have a goal of only 65.00 for food costs for this month. So....on Dec. 31 I checked in fridge and found a dozen eggs which I boiled on Jan. 1st. Two eggs for breakfast each morning and some in a salad also, til they are gone. Also eating all the leftovers and freezing some for later. Yesterday, at work, my boss likes to go out to eat and I am always compelled to join her but not this time!! I made a samitch and added some carrots that needed to be eaten before they spoiled and that was my lunch .... she ordered at the restaurant and I opened up my lunch sack!! Whoo Hooo. I did run out of coffee and had to purchase a can but that will last me about 6 months.....so that's a dollar spent plus a loaf of bread for 1.50. This challenge has made me more aware of planning. One of my goals for 2019 is to have NO food waste. Use it all!!! I have to run and put strawberries into the freezer, now, so they won't spoil. And my grapes need to get washed and be ready to pop in my mouth before they go bad also. Making 2019 a FRUGAL year!!!

Hugs,
Daizy

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2019 :  08:54:27 AM  Show Profile
Way to go Daizy!!!

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2019 :  8:39:55 PM  Show Profile
This is great Daizy. Here are my tricks. Save all the juices from canned foods, steaming and boiling vegetables to put into a crockpot soup. Buy "ugly" vegetables. They are cheaper because they are bruised or have small bits of mold on them that can be cut off. I chop them up and put them into my Famous Crockpot Soup. Mince the end part of the vegetable which we usually cut off. These can be mixed with flour or potatoes and fried. Good luck!

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2019 :  06:17:03 AM  Show Profile
Great plan, Daizy!!! You are off to a great start!!! Food is a big way to cut expenses - I struggle with that due to various dietary needs we have to meet. But I try to keep us at about $100 a week - including dog food and some misc. things - toothpaste, etc.

All Recipes website has a search feature that lets you search for recipes based on certain ingredients - maybe try that if you are looking for ides to use up certain things in your pantry/freezers.

Our frugal update: We were super excited to pay off the truck last month! That takes care of both vehicles - working on the camper now!

Needed some clothes for work so I went to TJ Max and got a new dress and two sweaters for $50 - which is pretty good. Retail on the dress alone was $98!

Edited by - AuntJamelle on Jan 08 2019 06:17:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2019 :  06:21:51 AM  Show Profile
Jaime congratulations on paying off the truck. Camper next!

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2019 :  06:09:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sara!!!

Went to JoAnn's yesterday - Christmas was 90% off - got 3 packs of white tissue (50 sheets each) for $0.49 each! Got 3 spools of ribbon, decorative paperclips, embroidery floss and a small but high quality evergreen spray - all for just under $10! Woo hoo!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2019 :  06:48:30 AM  Show Profile
Great savings, Jaime.

Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1399 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1399 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2019 :  12:48:09 PM  Show Profile
I saved this week by not seeing my grandkids LOL

Put your hair up in a bun, drink some coffee and handle it.
Farmgirl #3842
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2019 :  3:48:24 PM  Show Profile
Joan it does seem like I spend a lot more when I am around my grandkids. I sure understand that!!! LOL

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 31 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic How did you save money this week? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page