Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 How did you save money this week?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic How did you save money this week? Next Topic
Page: of 31

coccocolorado
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

C.
Poway CA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2013 :  8:10:40 PM  Show Profile
I got my daughter a brand new wireless router for her new place off of freecyle.org. We had to drive up to the mountains to get it-but didn't spend nearly the amount in gas as we would buying it new. Plus, we got to spend some quality time on the ride. If you haven't checked out your local freecyle, you really should!

Farmgirl Sister #5348
City Girl
Country Heart
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2013 :  10:54:07 AM  Show Profile
Emily, I am keeping your family (and others) in prayer for provision. Isn't homemade bread so much tastier? I need to make some this week.

C, I have been shopping in the freezer and pantry too. I guess I am cleaning it out for organizing :) Good deal on the router! I love Freecycle too! And Craig's list.

~My honey and I got some free used pro-panel roofing that will be perfect for the pig's shelter in addition to repairing the shed/shop roof.
~We also got some wooden beams that I am going to make raised beds with. I have been wanting some raised beds for garlic, etc. in addition to our regular garden so this is perfect.
~I have applesauce cooking on the stove using apples that a friend blessed us with.
~Another person we know is going to let us glean from their apple and crabapple orchards for the piggies. I am hoping that we can find some fruit worthy of making into jelly, sauce and apple butter in addition to feeding the pigs :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on Oct 14 2013 11:00:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  07:43:36 AM  Show Profile
Nini how long did you kraut take to make? I am going to order a crock today and try my hand at making kraut. Our kroger has organic cabbages and really want to try this. What size crock did you use?

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  07:56:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi Linda! It only took six weeks from start to finish, but I didn't check it until a few days later because we weren't going to use it until Sunday. I used a gallon size crock (although next time, I'm going to want to use a VAT! LOL!). I think I used three heads of cabbage from the garden. Removed the outer leaves, washed and drained the cabbage, removed the core, sliced it super thin with a knife (went really fast), weighed out five lbs. of shredded cabbage, put it in a HUGE bowl, added 3 tablespoons kosher salt, mixed well with my hands (that's the ratio: three tablespoons salt to five pounds shredded cabbage), let it sit to wilt for about 20 minutes. Next I packed it down really tightly into my clean crock, pressing firmly until juice was drawn out and covered the cabbage. Then I filled a gallon-sized freezer bag with salt water about 2/3 full, sealed the bag, and placed it on top. It didn't quite completely cover the cabbage, but the space was so small, and the cabbage was covered with juices, so I just let it be. Then I took two cloth napkins and covered the crock, securing them with rubber bands. Then I just let it sit on the kitchen table by the window. About two weeks in, my hubby kept saying he could smell kraut, but I couldn't. Then at almost four weeks, I noticed a faint odor of sauerkraut. I think around four and one-half weeks, I got nervous and just had to check on it. Removed the napkins, lifted the bag and there was my tightly packed kraut, all covered with clear juices, but there was no scum or anything else yucky. I replaced the bag, added two new napkins, secured them with the rubber band and left it to sit. At the end of six weeks, it was done! Honest to Pete, it was THAT simple! And man, when we tried it today, it was soooo good. My guys never want to go back to store bought! :) If you've never made it, rest assured, it's so simple, it's ridiculous! The wait is tough with anticipation, but when it's ready? Mmmmm...Mmmmm...Good! :)

< 'Just copied the recipe/instructions from the "What's for dinner tonight?" strain for ya! :) >

Oh - and Linda.. I bought my crock from Salmon Falls Pottery. It's made right here in America, and absolutely beautiful! www.salmonfallspottery.com Right now, they're having a buy one, get one at half price deal on most items. You just need to call to place your order in order to get the discount! They ship very quickly! It's my favorite pottery!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Oct 15 2013 07:59:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  09:45:43 AM  Show Profile
Wow Nini that pottery is just beautiful. I love anything with that color of blue on it.Did you use the 5 quart crock from them for your kraut?
I just talked to Lisa and she said I would fall in love when I looked at those crocks and boy did I ever. They cost more than the other ones I was looking at but they are so beautiful. I think I am going to call them once I know what size to get. Thanks so much for taking the time to type out all the info for me. Your such a sweetie and so helpful.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  10:07:33 AM  Show Profile
Hmmmm... Now I check the site and don't see one listed as a gallon crock... I must be losing my mind. I know I paid around $50 for it, Linda, but I only buy their pottery on sale, so it must be the 5 quart crock... Hmmm... I always thought it was a gallon size! LOL! Age... what a thing!

They are pretty expensive on shipping, but they pack everything so well - you won't be disappointed. And if you bake in their pottery - you're going to love it. Nothing ever burns, and nothing really sticks. If anything seems to be sticking, I just soak in hot water for a little bit and it comes clean right away - I can't say enough good about it! And my favorite part? They're hand-crafted, made right here in the USA!

I also want to let you know that the sale offer is available on "seconds," too. I buy both firsts and seconds - I'm an equal opportunity pottery user! LOL! If you ask them what styles they have available in their seconds for the crock size you order, they will check on that for you. The girls there are WONDERFUL!!! I've never had an problems with their seconds. Most of the time, the print is a little faded. The only time I had a concern was buying a lasagna pan (they didn't have firsts available, and I couldn't wait). It didn't look as nice as the other seconds I have purchased, but I have had no problems with it whatsoever. You can just ask the girl what she thinks - she'll tell you her honest opinion! :)

I collect their Love Birds, Blue/Green Vine, Blue Vine and Blue Pennsylvania patterns - a little at a time, one sale at a time. Everything just coordinates so well. It's always a win-win! Someday I would like to collect their cranberry pattern for Christmas. I know... ridiculous to consider. It's so expensive. But maybe someday... A girl can dream! :)

I know they have a Facebook page if you want to check out more of their designs and pottery pieces. They only list a sampling of what they offer on their website. I don't do Facebook, so my foster daughter keeps me updated. I just love their stuff! LOL!

Good luck! Let me know what you think! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Oct 15 2013 11:31:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  11:33:05 AM  Show Profile
I am putting in an order today. I talked to the lady there and I was trying to figure out the pattern on this one bakeware that is on the website but can't quite figure out which one it is. She is going to look on the computer for me at their website as soon as the meeting breaks up. She could not go in there because they were at the computer.
She said she would call me back in less then 30 minutes. She also said they don't have a one gallon crock just the 5 quart and she said thats probably what you have so you are not losing your mind...lol. Thats a perfect size for my family except I am going to get 2#.
I am super excited.I am sitting here with the phone in my lap waiting for her to call back. Super nice lady.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  11:53:38 AM  Show Profile
She called me back and I have 2 crocks coming in the cornflower.I can't wait to get them and start making kraut!!! I am so excited and the crocks are beautiful. Might as well have a pretty crock to make some yummy kraut.
Thanks Nini for all the info on these beautiful crocks.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  12:48:05 PM  Show Profile
You are so welcome, Linda! The are really super duper nice there, aren't they? Whenever I hang up with them, I always feel like I should add them to my Christmas cookie list! LOL! I'm so excited for you, too! I want to order a second one soon, and pick up a few more of their chowder bowls. We LOVE those for everything from soup to stew to chili to salads to cereal to hot chocolate to coffee to pudding to cobbler to... well... you get the idea! ;)

Oh... And by the way... My hubby wants it in writing that I am not losing my mind! LOL!

Let me know when they arrive! Can't WAIT to hear what you think!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

yarndoll
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Marianne
Waukee Iowa
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2013 :  2:15:10 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wooliespinner

She called me back and I have 2 crocks coming in the cornflower.I can't wait to get them and start making kraut!!! I am so excited and the crocks are beautiful. Might as well have a pretty crock to make some yummy kraut.
Thanks Nini for all the info on these beautiful crocks.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Yarndoll
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2013 :  09:19:33 AM  Show Profile
Nothing spectacular for saving money :)

~I cleaned and organized my pantry and completed an inventory so I know what I need and what I have a supply of. I plan on doing this with my freezer also.
~I have been using our 'Remains of the Day' (leftovers) from our freezer for creative meals.
~Making my own bread

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2013 :  10:02:42 AM  Show Profile
I have not done much today, but I did get my mint extract made. So that will be for good later. Washing clothes today with my homemade detergent, dishes as well with homemade dishwasher cubes. Maybe I can get more money saving things done later this afternoon.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2013 :  10:32:07 AM  Show Profile
Kelly, what are the dishwasher cubes?

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/brooktroutwife
Go to Top of Page

lovinRchickens
True Blue Farmgirl

3435 Posts

Kelly
Pipe Creek Texas
USA
3435 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2013 :  11:06:55 AM  Show Profile
Sheila
I just make my own dishwasher tablets. Made out of 1/2 cup washing powder, 1/2 cup borax, 1/8 cup kosher salt, 1/8 cup white vinegar, 20 drops lemon essential oil. Mix all together and press very firmly into silicone molds that will fit my machine. Let them dry for 24 to 48 hours? Put them in a pretty jar. I do add a bit of Lemishine and one drop dish detergent into dishwasher dispenser at time of wash, then off it goes. Works great when I need to run the dishwasher. Saves quite a bit of money.

Farmgirl #5111
Blessings
~Kelly~
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2013 :  6:53:05 PM  Show Profile
I found a really pretty piece of wrapping paper on the ground when I took my dog out for a walk this morning.

I will cut this into 2" X 2" squares and make folded stars from them.

Incidentally, I've been making these stars for years and have NEVER purchased a piece of paper to make them from.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

lovecatsandsunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

Tara
Sands of Time SC
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2013 :  4:09:52 PM  Show Profile
Found pack of 6 crew socks in clearance bin at grocery store for 1.47, they were 7.99. Also found 2 boxes of zytec allergy eye drops marked down to 2.25 each. The drops are usually $11 each. A 3 pack of trouser socks for 99cents, they would have been 7.99 at full price. Doing the happy dance.

STYX the Band rocks!
Support your local organic farmer.www.localharvest.org
Monsanto you Stink!!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2013 :  5:12:13 PM  Show Profile
I didn't exactly SAVE money today, but I did do a fall cleaning in my purse and found $39 trapped under the pockets here and there... How on EARTH could I have missed that! LOL! Happy day, though - Happy day!!! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4850 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4850 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2013 :  6:04:27 PM  Show Profile
Nini, that Is what tickles me the most, finding money in a purse or pocket! I love how everyone saved today, I saved because I did not leave my house! LOL!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2013 :  07:08:35 AM  Show Profile
Our street is being swept today. There have been signs up suggesting we all move our cars by 7 AM. I was out walking the dog at 7:30 when I saw a tow truck go by. I ran home and told DH to move the van now. They start towing from the north at 20th and we live just past 26th so we had some time but I didn't know how many cars had to be towed and how many tow trucks were on the job.

We saved towing and retrieval fees plus cab fare to the impound lot plus lost time from work. That adds up to maybe $300.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2013 :  09:14:10 AM  Show Profile
Yay Nini! I love that! One day CJ and I were thrifting and we stopped at a small shop. I found a picture that I just fell in love with and was ready to write a check when I found $20.00 in my wallet :)

Good for you Marie! It pays to walk the dog :)

I purchase stuffed animals at the thrift store for maybe 25 - 50 cents. I just make sure that they do not have beading, jointed limbs or wire in them. I bring them home and wash them for my Cookie.

Today will be bread making and such :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2013 :  09:32:27 AM  Show Profile
Sharon - when our son was wee little, I would take the stuffing out of old stuffed animals and turn them into puppets! I would use two of those spring-type curtain rods in a doorway to make curtains behind and in front, and then we'd make puppet shows all day! Your post just brought back a flood of wonderful memories! Thank you!

Goodness, Marie! I'm so glad you were walking the dog at the right time! WOW! That would've been a painful hit to the pocket book if you hadn't!!!

Saving money this week by using goods on the shelf from long term storage instead of heading out to the store. Not quite near the expiration date, but it's probably a good idea to use it up and rotate some stock. I would LOVE to be able to use only storage items from the freezer and shelves all winter... Not quite there yet, but with a little creative planning and shopping over the next couple of weeks, I betcha I could! :)

Keep on keepin' on girls!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2013 :  7:42:10 PM  Show Profile
How did I save money today???
I hide out in the back yard, with 3 cans of cheapo spray paint and repainted an old metal stand,,, which is now dry and I am using it as a 'printer' table....

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2013 :  04:39:51 AM  Show Profile
Now THAT's a GREAT way to save money, Grace!!! LOVE IT!!!!

I posted this in the Fall Gathering strain, but thought I'd share with you all here, too:

So, today, my son and I will enjoy OUR Halloween fun by taking our annual trip to the grocery store after school. We've been saving candy coupons since they started popping up at the end of August in order to stock up at the after-Halloween candy sale. The stores double the coupons which will make the candy dirt cheap. That's THE trick to our big treat! ;) Now that I'm all grown up, this is the "funnest" part of Halloween for me. The guys get the treats they really want most, and I'll have a little socked away for holiday baking. Win-win!

I also ordered two turkeys from the butcher the other day. One for Thanksgiving, of course, and the other is for the freezer. He only offers them once a year. Last year, I spent a small fortune on our first turkey from him, and I thought I would cry when I saw the size. But it was locally raised, free range, grass fed, no hormones or antibiotics or anything scary, so I splurged. But the really amazing thing was, even thought it looked small, it really did weigh the same as one of the huge ones in the grocery store. The difference was, there was so little fat! It was ALL meat! Where I would usually get a two or three meals and some sandwiches and soup out of a store bought turkey, the turkey from the butcher actually gave us six or seven meals, plenty of sandwiches and several quarts of soup! Pound for pound, penny for penny, the butcher's turkey actually saved us big money! Even my super frugal husband - who almost fell over when he saw what I was paying for the turkey last year - agreed it truly was an excellent deal. As a matter of fact, he's the one who encouraged me to purchase the second one! Bring on the birds!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1744 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1744 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2013 :  09:34:29 AM  Show Profile
I went to the local Library book sale and bought two crockpot cookbooks $3 each and a book CD for $1 by Nicholas Sparks and 5 music CD's for $1 each. I hit 2 thrift stores and a goodwill several times a month and always score clothes or something useful.

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2013 :  12:18:27 PM  Show Profile
Nini,

Thanks for sharing your organic turkey experience. I have often wondered that myself. I already have a turkey for Thanksgiving but next year I am definitely ordering a locally raised one to try (unless I have my Hunter's Safety completed and get one :)). I would get one this year but I am sure that after having the good stuff the other turkey would just sit in my freezer :)

Marlene, books are my one weakness :) Good deals!

I saved money by not going to Trader Joe's when we were in Albuquerque yesterday :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon

Edited by - Calicogirl on Nov 02 2013 12:23:03 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 31 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic How did you save money this week? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page