Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  08:01:05 AM  Show Profile
I was searching for some ideas for canning grape juice and I came across the following recipe. It sounds so easy, but does it work? Is it tasty or whimpy? Our "baby" grapes are just starting to produce and I don't want to waste a batch!!

CANNED GRAPE JUICE
Printed from COOKS.COM
Clean hot quart jars. Put 1 cup grapes (wash) in jars. Add 1/4 cup sugar
per jar. Fill with boiling water. Process 20 minutes at a rolling boil. Quick and easy.

Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  10:23:05 AM  Show Profile
Yep! My foster daughter and I made DOZENS of jars of this last year! It was so good. BUT we didn't use concord grapes, we used primarily red and some white grapes, so the juice was a little bit weak. If you use concord, my sister-in-law swears you'll be in heaven - it's very hearty and delicious! My brother is nuts over her grape juice! The juice we made was really delicious, but not as flavorful as it could've been. If I had known, I would've just used more grapes. :)

Good Luck, Susan! I can't wait to hear what you think! :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2013 :  11:20:16 AM  Show Profile
I have also made Sour Cherry and Cranberry juices this way :) I usually let it 'steep' for a couple of months before opening. With summer canning I wait until Thanksgiving :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2013 :  2:34:12 PM  Show Profile
So what happens to the grape peals when they're processed? Do they disintegrate? Does tannins form in the bottom o the jar like with jelly?

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2013 :  3:28:36 PM  Show Profile
Is this processing done in a water bath or in a pressure cooker?

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4125 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4125 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2013 :  4:31:04 PM  Show Profile
YOu process in a hot water bath. When you open the jar, stain the grapes from the juice. If you like a bit of pulp you can squish the grapes down in the strainer. I add a quart of water to the concentrate, and sugar to taste.
simple and yummy
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2013 :  4:32:27 PM  Show Profile
Another recipe said to just strain out the the peels when you open the juice. Yes, it was supposed to be a water bath. I had already done most of our grapes this season, but found two vines we missed so I hope to try this out on a few jars tomorrow.
Sharon,
When you tried this with sour cherries and cranberries did you use about a cup of fruit to a quart? I'm intrigued about trying it will other fruits now.

Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2013 :  6:05:16 PM  Show Profile
So this is just the concentrate and dilute before serving?

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2013 :  7:30:29 PM  Show Profile
yummmmmy -- we love this stuff ;) we do strain it first of all and then add an equal amount of water or else sparkling water. It's a really yummy koolaid-ish type sweet treat!! :)

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/brooktroutwife
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2013 :  4:40:48 PM  Show Profile
Susan, that's about right. One cup fruit, sugar as desired and fill quart jar with boiling water.

Lorena, It is a regular juice but depending on taste you can dilute it. I actually dilute the Cranberry Juice I make because it ends up being thicker from the pectin.

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4125 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4125 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2013 :  05:11:17 AM  Show Profile
When I did it, I filled the jar with grapes. So maybe with less grapes you would not dilute it.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2013 :  05:57:02 AM  Show Profile
Actually, we left our grapes and pulp in the jars. We used the same recipe as Sharon has shared, but they said to leave them in and strain before serving. They look a little weird, but the taste is great!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2013 :  5:42:18 PM  Show Profile
I've done grape juice like this for years. Now that sugar has to be taken out of our diet. I use just grapes and water and it works just fine. I checked with Ball Canning and it's ok to leave out the sugar. It took a little getting use to, but once you do it's great.

Lavender Rose
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy--good or bad.
Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2013 :  12:07:21 PM  Show Profile
So I've got 7 pints sitting on my dining room table, ready to do their thing - so excited!

I will warn you...

I gave mine a bit of a shake today, to help keep things moving along. All of a sudden I heard clinking inside the glass, and a circular whitish object was floating around. OMG! Heart attack! I emptied one of the jars, just to see what the heck was going on, and it turns out the sugar had settled overnight and formed a candy-like ring. I was very relieved.

So of the 7 jars, one will go to our neighbor who graciously gave us the grapes (and she'll get some grape jelly from the batch I'm making this afternoon). One will go to my IL's, and the others will look pretty on my shelf.

Now it's on to that grape jelly...

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, a bunny, 1 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2013 :  12:29:09 PM  Show Profile
Ann, I just got through with 2 dozen quarts of Grape Juice and boy does the house smell good. I am finishing up another batch of White Peach & Saffron Jam and then it's on to Grape Jelly for me and Pear Honey :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2013 :  1:21:38 PM  Show Profile
Yup, I've done (seeded Concord) grape juice this way. So yummy. I usually make it a concentrate that you need to add water to - my jar supply seems to keep shrinking as my kids keep eating more and more. :) I think I did 2 cups grapes to 1 cup sugar and the rest water to can up, but it's been a few years (I've made seedless jam out of my seeded Concords with my Squeezo, so, so yummy!).

My word of warning. If you're used to commercial grape juice, the homemade stuff will seem a little weird. The home stuff isn't as thick/syrupy, it's got a lighter taste, likely in part because of the sugar used instead of the high fructose corn syrup. But the home stuff is still beyond amazing. My experimental fun this year is trying to make grape cider with our cider press, yum.

Lanna, homeschooling mama to four little monkeys that still try to jump on the bed
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2013 :  11:13:51 AM  Show Profile
I HAVE to try this! Last year I made grape jelly from concentrate that I bought on sale at the grocery store. Now this is something fun and new to try!
Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2013 :  12:39:49 PM  Show Profile
Put up 26 quart today, how early can we try it? hope it turns out yummy.

thank you for sharing the recipe

Danyel
Farmgirl sister 4202
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2013 :  1:47:45 PM  Show Profile
Danyel, the longer it sits the stronger the flavor. I would guess that the earliest would be 2-3 weeks. We make it a tradition to open the first jars for Thanksgiving :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

~Sharon
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4125 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4125 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2013 :  1:57:51 PM  Show Profile
I should clarify, I don't put sugar in with my grapes when canning them for juice. I add sugar to taste after I open, and strain them. Works well. Have any of you tried making grape jam? Recipe in the ball canning book. It is yummy and simple to do. I add sugar to taste. The recipe calls for 6 cups, I used about 5 cups of sugar. Give it a try! If you have any grapes left on the vine. It takes 2 quarts of grapes for a batch of jam.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2013 :  11:21:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for sharing everyone! I'm always looking for recipes for sour cherries, and this sounds great!
I canned 5 quarts yesterday and can't wait to try it!
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2013 :  06:43:47 AM  Show Profile
Just an update, we had one quart that did not seal. so it went into the fridge. It was YUMMY.
I hope that when we try cranberry juice it will work out as well. Is it ok to use the cranberries from the store, or is there somewhere to order them in that is better?

Thank you.

Danyel
Farmgirl sister 4202
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2013 :  03:20:22 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by danyel

Just an update, we had one quart that did not seal. so it went into the fridge. It was YUMMY.
I hope that when we try cranberry juice it will work out as well. Is it ok to use the cranberries from the store, or is there somewhere to order them in that is better?

You could always poke around your farmer's markets and see if anybody goes out picking. Although I don't know the flora in your neck of the woods. Here, cranberries grow wild in some places, but they're only accessible by boat because they're way out there. My garlic guy goes out fishing in the fall and picks cranberries to sell at the market, so cool. :)

Lanna, homeschooling mama to four little monkeys that still try to jump on the bed
Go to Top of Page

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2013 :  6:50:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the update I will need to see where they grow I may be surprised. You never know to you look, if I cannot find any that are organic I may try the ones from the store and wash them first.

Danyel
Farmgirl sister 4202
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grape Juice. Is it true?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page