LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2013 :  6:04:45 PM  Show Profile
I haven't done any pickling or canning for a little while, but decided next year I'm going to make the effort and start making my own pickled recipes again.

However, I now have a flat surface range and recently saw something in a canning book about how you can't can on a flat surface range. Is this true? I don't see why a water bath wouldn't work on my flat surface range. I mean, it's just like boiling water in a stock pot and I do that all the time.

Also, I've been afraid of pressure cookers for years after remembering one practically exploding at our house when I was little, so I have never used one for canning. However, I just saw that there are now electric pressure cookers that are super safe and can be set to go on and off without you touching them. Does anyone know if these can be used for canning in the pressure cooking process?

Thanks!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder

Edited by - LuckyMommyof5 on Oct 04 2013 6:05:46 PM

danyel
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Danyel
Robertsdale PA
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2013 :  2:04:14 PM  Show Profile
I have also heard that you should not use a flat top stove to can. But when I asked several people at work they said they do all the time, the hot water bath part not the pressure canner. It is just that is voids the warranty. ( so I was told) not sure about that. With my luck the stove top would break, but I tried it anyways. I did all my canning that involves a hot water bath on top of my flat top stove and it worked fine. I have not tried the electric canners.

Best of luck
Danyel
Farmgirl sister 4202
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2013 :  2:21:38 PM  Show Profile
Suzanne,
You might check with the people who made your stove. A lot of procedures have warnings about flat top stoves. I have an electric pressure canner. It does small batches of pints and half pints easily. I'm using it this weekend. Love it. It keeps the pressure constant. Better than monitoring my old one. You just have to find one labeled for canning. Comes with a rack.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic pickling/canning question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page