Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farmgirl Fashion
 The Perfect Jammies... What Do You Wear?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic The Perfect Jammies... What Do You Wear? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2013 :  10:56:23 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls -

Now that the chill is in the air, I'm pulling out all my cool and cold weather clothes. And now I find I'm in search of the perfect pair of jammies.

I get C-O-L-D at night, believe me. My hands and feet practically turn to ice! My poor hubby (who puts off heat like a furnace, thank God), likens it to sleeping next to the freezer with the door wide open! LOL! During fall and winter, depending upon the chill outside, I'll wear everything from two-piece jammies, to nightgowns with yoga pants underneath, to old tees with sweatpants. And on REALLY cold nights, I'll even bundle up in layers of any combination of the above, complete with my robe on top and socks to warm my toes - I've even covered my head in a hat, when necessary! Not particularly attractive, I know... but it's better than turning my hubby into a Charlie-sicle!

So, what do YOU all wear to keep cozy at night? Any suggestions as to how to keep warm and not scare the hubs away? :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2013 :  11:13:46 AM  Show Profile
In the summer I tend to sleep in my altogether or a super soft thin cotton nightie, sorry to embarrass anyone, but we have the hottest, least insulated house ever and it can be 20 degrees hotter in the house even at night. In the winter its either a big ol' flannel granny nighty or a long tee shirt nighty, either way it'll be joined by a big warm pair of wool socks. I have arctic cold feet and I'm banned from bed unless I wear socks

You must do the thing you think you cannot do
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Annika
Farmgirl & Sister #13

http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2013 :  12:35:36 PM  Show Profile
I can recommend a long granny nightgown or a pair of pajamas made from flannel backed satin. This fabric in warm on the inside and soft and slippery on the outside (not to mention "hot" looking) so that the gament doesn't get twisted up when turning over.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2013 :  11:26:19 PM  Show Profile
I forgot about the most perfect fabric to make nice, warm jammie from --- polar fleece. It is really great fabric. It sews up easily because the seams do not need to be finished. It can be made into just about anything. It is soft and comes in really neato colours and designs. Best of all, this time of year, it is on sale.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2013 :  03:49:13 AM  Show Profile
Annika - Our house is brick, and we go through the same thing! It seems to simply soak up whatever weather we are experiencing. In the summer, it's as hot as a brick oven; in the winter, the chill is unbelievable. We're pretty well insulated, but that doesn't seem to matter very much. I am so with you! And - LOL! - I totally understand the wool socks! You are definitely not alone! :) There are just not enough layers when you're freezing like that. A dear older friend insists that you actually stay warmer if you go to bed buck naked, but I've tried it, and it seems more of a nice theory to me. At the very least, you still have to get out of bed into the chilly morning air... Br-rr-rr-rrr...

Marie - I do remember when I was much younger having a nightgown made of flannel backed satin. I will have to see if I can find anything like that and give it a try! I don't usually wear polar fleece clothing, but you're so right - it sure is a great fabric! So warm and cozy! I received a polar fleece robe as a gift one year, and it sure helps insulate the other layers I pile on! :)

I was actually amazed to see manufacturers start using it in bedding and night clothes, though, because I always thought it was one of those fabrics that, when caught on fire, would melt right into the skin. Apparently, however, as long as its treated with flame retardant, it's safe. I was reading on the PolarTec website that their material is designed to provide all the benefits of cold and wind protection, but won't melt or drip onto the skin. I just personally have to wonder how good all that chemically produced fabric treated with extra chemicals can be, you know? Especially when you're wearing the fabric right against your skin and then tucking yourself under the covers... what kind of chemical fumes are given off? How does that affect your skin, eyes and lungs? I don't know... I know I overthink things sometimes. Then again, I wonder how "breathable" the fabric really is - it makes me all sweaty and uncomfortable. I guess for me polar fleece outerwear is okay, but I much prefer natural fabrics for bedtime.

Where do you girls get your granny nightgowns? Is there a particular brand you can recommend? I loved Eileen West when I was younger, but geesh, even back then they were expensive!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Sep 20 2013 03:50:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2013 :  03:59:51 AM  Show Profile
I usually wear knit or flannel pajama pants with a tank top. When I get cold I put on hubby's old sweatshirts. But because my personal thermostat is on the fritz......I start out fully dressed shivering with the cold and wake up naked and sweating.

Hubby says my hot-flashes save us money on propane.
Arttie
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2013 :  06:25:55 AM  Show Profile
I make my own granny nighties. I have a really good pattern which is now probably discontinued that has full nightie and robe, tow piece pajamas and bed jacket. A Middle eastern style caftan will work also.
It has volume and if made of the right fabric will trap the body heat in a nice cozy cocoon around the body.

Or just take a steamy hot shower before bed. That works for me.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Dirtduchess
True Blue Farmgirl

693 Posts

Patsy
Decatur TX
USA
693 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2013 :  07:43:27 AM  Show Profile
I sleep in pjs. On cold nights I put a small warm throw or afghan over just my side of the bed. That way my husband can stay cool the way he likes.

Patsy
Farmgirl 4678

Leave room in your garden for the fairies to dance.
Go to Top of Page

true_blue
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Missouri
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2013 :  11:20:24 AM  Show Profile
When it's cold I break out my flannel PJs, and wear some knitted booties to keep my feet warm
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  05:05:15 AM  Show Profile
In the winter I am usually freezing even though our thermostat is set on 68 degrees. I usually wear a pair of silky pajamas or if it is really cold I wear a long sleeve tee shirt and a pair of black exercise pants with sox. I also sleep with an extra blanket.

Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2013 :  05:45:19 AM  Show Profile
While not even remotely practical for indoor use, I can share with your my cold-weather camping secrets that keep me toasty in 32 degree or below weather. Why in the world would I do such a thing? I'm a scout leader and scouts can earn something called the "Polar Bear" badge but they must camp overnight and it must be 32 or below.

So here it is:

1. Layers. The layer closest to me are very thin and super soft silk long johns, but they aren't just any long johns. A company called "WinterSilks" sells pink leopard print silk long johns that are practical and terribly cute. Because they are whisper thin and so soft, this could be a good indoor option. The cute factor of the fabric rally helps, too ; ) This stuff under a nightgown or other jambes may do the most to solve your case of the chillies.

The next layer is polar fleece top and bottom. Tucking the top into the pants keeps the layer of warm air next to your body from escaping.

2. Critical: cover extremities. Socks will work inside, but a hat and gloves could be a little tricky! People used to wear nightcaps and now we just drink them. A scarf or neck gaiter is part of the plan - I like the neck gaiter because it doesn't come undone like a scarf does. This could be an indoor option you wear until you're all toasty warm tucked in, and take it off before you fall asleep.

3. Reduce the air space around you. I have a flannel sheet that I wrap around me before sliding in to my sleeping bag, and this would easily enough translate to indoor use. This is different that simply adding an additional blanket - you want to have this layer tucked around you to trap that layer of warm air, so it is loose and not part of the bed linens that get tucked under the mattress end and sides.

BUT now the trouble with all of this, and especially when camping, is when you have to visit the loo in the middle of the night. It seems like just when you get all situated and are feeling snug as a bug in a rug….nature calls. Never fails!

I hope you figure out something that works for you because I believe the Farmers" Almanac says we're in for a c-c-c-old winter!

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2013 :  8:51:54 PM  Show Profile
fleece is the warmest, but like you I worry about it not being natural.

Best granny flannel night gowns-Vermont Country Store! Hands down. But, I can find lots of good ones at goodwill's too, and sometimes even from Vermont Country Store at the Goodwill!

Wear the long Granny Night gown, and then put on wool long johns, or silk. And wool socks.

I also layer the blankets. The more layers the better!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2013 :  10:13:54 PM  Show Profile
Like Annika said, in the altogether done here too. Cold nights it is long johns or or fleece and wool blend socks.I have some old cotton quilts my grandmother made that are heavy we use and those thermal like blankets. But I like quilts best. Daughter gifted us with an electric throw. I have been putting that at the foot of the bed and warming it before we go to bed and it is so nice for our cold feet.

~ Betty ~
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2013 :  08:52:05 AM  Show Profile
I have cozy flannel sheets nestled beneath a cozy down blanket beneath a lovely warm quilt... The layers make me ache-y all over, but they're definitely helpful in keeping out the cold. And I have to laugh because I do really, really layer. I imagine I probably look a little like the younger brother in "A Christmas Story" on the coldest nights. Thing is, I sleep on the side of the bed that is right near the big bay windows... Even with storm windows, weather-stripping, sealed plastic, and layers of curtains, it's ch-ch-chilly in there. A church lady told me a long time ago that I'm doing it all wrong - she said the best thing to do is sleep in the raw. It did help a lot, believe it or not, but my-oh-my getting out of bed in the morning was NOT fun at all! LOL! I'll stick to my layers, thank you! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2013 :  2:21:45 PM  Show Profile
Nini, Had to laugh at your "in the raw" but it does work. And yes it is cold to get out form under those covers. I have my house shoes and robe within reach! I have a piece of 300 weight polar fleece that lays across the bottom of the bed that was used till I started using the electric throw daughter got us. For some reason the fleecer really helps my aching bones.

Way back when I was a girl scout leader, we camped out one winter in 18 degree weather. We layered our sleeping bags, had socks on and a cap. We stayed toasty warm, well those that paid attetion to how they were supposed tp pack for the campout. My mom was my co leader and my daughter was in the troop and we all stayed warm. There was one mom who went for the first time camping with us and she never went again. It had gotten colder that night than what was forcasted.

~ Betty ~
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2013 :  7:34:13 PM  Show Profile
My father swears by the raw being the best! lol

We always camp in the winter. The only problem with going with a scout troup, is most parents want to go cheap and buy walmart 40 sleeping bags, and what is important in camping in the winter is to get at least 20, but we prefer -20 sleeping bags. It means you have to pay a bit more and go to a real camping store. But, they are for sure warmer, and they will zip up around your head like a hood too. The best ones have the mylar. But, people who don't regularly winter camp, don't realize you need to read the sleeping bag tag, and 40 means that it is good for 40 and above, but below that it will not keep you warm enough on it's own. -20 is great for winter camping. But, even a 20 will be better then a 40.

I personally prefer sleeping in the nude too. But, that's cause I'm usually hot. I want to say a word of caution though. If you choose to do this, PLEASE keep clothing accessible. I keep a night gown on my dressing chair at the end of the bed. A long time ago, there was a fire at our neighbors house, my step father literally had to break out a window to get the people out, the two adults and their child was sleeping nude. And the they were cut up by the broken window, and had severe smoke inhalation. (they could not go out the door the living room was already consumed by the fire!). The ambulance said they had to have clothing! (which I thought they would of cut off had they been wearing them!) So my mom had to go in our home and get them clothing to put on so they could be transported to the hospital! So...since then, I have always kept clothing where I can quickly get to it in a emergency...even if I ran out just carrying it and putting it on outside, at least I would have it.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2013 :  8:37:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, Heather! I am so grateful to you for pointing this out to us! Whodathunkit, really?! That must've been quite an ordeal for everyone involved! I can't even imagine!!! I also didn't know that about sleeping bag numbers - thank you!

Betty - that's a great idea for the polar fleece... Thank you!!! Maybe that would work for me instead of the polar fleece jammies!

We're facing a couple of days of unusually warm weather - it's going to be in the low 60's before it drops back to the 30's on Monday. Such weird weather! I hope we get snow for Christmas!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2013 :  10:51:29 PM  Show Profile
We have polartec sheets, so I go a little lighter than I used to with flannel. Let me highly recommend the polartec sheets. Have 3 sets and have never looked back!

I wear a pair of light flannel pj bottoms and a really soft tee. That's my gear. Gowns always end up strangling me or my bum hangs out and I don't like that.

Also, they don't have to match. I'm sleeping, not going to a pageant. I do have a husband and I'm sure he'd like something a little more feminine, but I dare him to say so :)

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2013 :  10:57:00 PM  Show Profile
If I hadn't lived through the ambulance doing that to the family, I would not of literally of believed it. I remember my mom brought them into our home while she was looking for clothing for them, and they were so cut up, they permanently stained our wood floor with all their blood loss in our living room! They weren't hemorrhaging, but they were bad off enough! I really wouldn't of believed it. And my grandma was so mad about it too!

I also know that I fell naked (I forgot this in my other post) in my home in NYC, and I bruised a kidney and it was so bad, I couldn't move...and that was about 10 years ago...they made my husband put pajamas on me, before they would take me! I was vomiting all over both of us, from the pain and they didn't care. The fire was in Kansas, and the bruised kidney was in NYC so two different states with the same policy.

And yup my dad is hard core camper, so he taught me young about the sleeping bags. I always wanted to take my children's type sleeping bags camping and he would only let me take them in the summer time. Then as I got old enough he showed me the tags. Most novelty sleeping bags are for 40 degrees and above. You usually have to go to a camping store to get serious sleeping bags that range from 40 all the way I believe to around -60 or -80 (those would be for like camping on those really high mountain hikes way way up).

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2013 :  11:27:49 PM  Show Profile
I have tried the naked thing and I have to say, I'm not down with it. I end up feeling sweaty in place I'd rather not. It's just the way I sleep, all balled up. I do, however, rarely sleep with undies. I never thought I'd ever say this, but I wear thongs now and anything else makes me feel like I've a diaper on. Sleeping even with a thong on is just "too much" material for me. Commando!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2013 :  06:53:48 AM  Show Profile
LOL! Ohmygoodness, Jonni! Your post really has me giggling!

Heather... God love you! After all those experiences, I'd probably never be without full body cover... You poor thing! How awful!!! Honest though, in a million years, I never would've given it a thought about "emergency coverings"... Well...other than clean underwear in case I'm ever in an accident... But I always wear clean underwear... I think that's probably more of a message the men need, huh? ;) Anyhow... Thank you, because I really do feel that's pertinent information! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Dec 22 2013 05:07:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2013 :  09:20:02 AM  Show Profile
"Giggle" naked and commando.... made me laugh :)

~ Betty ~
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2013 :  09:50:10 AM  Show Profile
I like to sleep in long flannel nighties. I have several patterns for them. I even have one for the white cotton jammies they wore in the 1800's. They are so pretty.

I just purchased some flannel online (at a deep discount) from which I will make a long sleeveless night gown and robe. These are the ones with the ruffles and puffy sleeves.

I can't wear pajama pants because they get . . . um . . . messy. I haven't worn underwear to bed since I was in college and had a lot of yeast infections. The gyne told me not to wear underwear to bed. The only time I do wear it is during my monthly which is getting less and less monthly. I only go completely necked in the summer when the weather is so hot and muggy. DH likes me to wear the long flannel. He's not too keen on the skimpier stuff. (?) Takes all kinds I guess.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Rowdyazell
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Cindy
St. Louis MO
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2014 :  7:55:50 PM  Show Profile
Sleeping in layers is the way to go at my age. I can go to bed cold, and wake up hot! Off come the layers, one at a time, then back on they go when it is time to get up in the morning!
Go to Top of Page

auntjenny
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Jenny
San Luis Obispo CA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2014 :  9:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Send auntjenny a Yahoo! Message
I like short nightgowns and warm blankets I can throw off when I need to. I swear my thermostat is broken! Hot and cold. I never have liked pajamas- they get all twisty on my legs.

Inside me there is a skinny girl crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  05:46:02 AM  Show Profile
Flannel nighties?? Ohhhh, the luxury of enough coolness to even consider it! Today, the heat index is going to be somewhere around 105-108. I am afraid there won't be anything but summer nighties or even windows open for another 2-3 months!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic The Perfect Jammies... What Do You Wear? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page