Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farmgirl Fashion
 Anyone sewing their own wardrobe?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Anyone sewing their own wardrobe? Next Topic  

Autumn
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Holly
Ontario
Canada
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2014 :  05:39:22 AM  Show Profile
This year I made a pledge to try to sew all my own clothing rather than purchase it ready made. I'm using fabric from my stash and secondhand materials (like fabric or clothing). I'm hoping this will cut down on costs. I've always liked doing "green" things and I think recycling clothing is so much fun. I've already turned an old dress into a skirt and it looks great. I think there is a huge benefit to making something myself as opposed to buying RTW; everything ready made starts to fall apart after a month lol.

Has anyone ever sewn their own wardrobe? If so, what challenges did it present and how much did you complete? I know a girl who is trying to knock out an outfit a month, it's ambitious but I might give it a shot. :)

Cheers~
*AUTUMN*

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2014 :  08:16:49 AM  Show Profile
I would love to do that, but sewing is not something I'm good at. Most of that is way over my head and I just don't understand it. Darts, gussets, gathers and all that stuff is like trying to decipher cuneiform.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2014 :  08:54:58 AM  Show Profile
Rachel, definitely take a beginning class. They will start you with something simple and you will be so surprised by what you can do. After that your mind will be buzzing with ideas. I teach crochet and this happens to one kid every semester. The first thing I made from a pattern was a pair of shorts. I put the waistband in incorrectly and had to do it over twice. Now, I am an expert at it. Most patterns are very clear about exactly what to do. Don't do it alone like I did. If I had the time, I would visit you for a week and teach you what you need to know to start.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2014 :  2:02:59 PM  Show Profile
I might have to take my machine to my mother-in-law and get her to give me some Saturday classes; she is really good at sewing. It took me about 45 minutes to thread the old machine that I had (no kidding) and I had to get the book out EVERY TIME. I have a newer machine now and it just laughs at me, I haven't used it yet. I had a serger and it scared the crap out of me, so I rehomed it. Right before she died, my mom gave me all of her sewing machines (I had 6 in all) and now I'm down to 3--two cool antiques and a new one that I don't have a clue what to do with. I don't know why, but sewing frustrates me worse than just about anything else I've tried to learn how to do. I have no clue what to look for with a pattern either, how to gauge size and all that. My mom tried to show me several times as did my belly dance teacher but those attempts didn't go very well, lol. With my belly dance costumes, I cut the fabric (after my teacher marked it) and I did the hand sewing but she did the machine sewing for me. I think part of it is that reading patterns confuses me and I'm not sure why that is exactly.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

Autumn
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Holly
Ontario
Canada
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2014 :  05:22:50 AM  Show Profile
I was really bad at sewing when I was younger. I was a lot like you, Rachel. I couldn't read patterns and I fumbled with the machine, I even referred to thread as "string" because I didn't know any better lol. The hardest part for me was understanding how to set the tension on the machine and how to read patterns. Sewing can certainly be a bit overwhelming with all the different types of fabric and sewing attachments. I've accumulated as many sewing feet for my machine as possible so I can attack any type of fabric. I also learned tension as best I could understand, which has prepared me for sewing just about anything.

I still have trouble reading pattern instructions but that's no fault of my own, the companies vary in the way they describe each step and the diagrams are often poorly executed or useless lol. I've found that the vintage patterns are far more direct with their instructions, they at least took the time to test things about back then. It seems today they just print them out and don't even bother to spell check them. I can't even count how many pattern reviews have people saying "this is done backwards, this step is missing" and so forth. It's really quite silly.

If you want to get back into sewing I recommend trying simple patterns and maybe some vintage ones too. I wouldn't tackle any project using satin, chiffon or any other slippery, fussy material. I made the mistake of using satin for my first sewing project and I just felt defeated. It took me ten years to try again.

I look forward to upcycling and sharing my wardrobe results with everybody! I also hope to see what everyone else is up to in the world of sewing.

Cheers~
*AUTUMN*
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2014 :  08:21:39 AM  Show Profile
What a wonderful idea! I would love to do this! I think my kids would gang up on me if I made myself an outfit once a month and not them, lol. Maybe I can start making an outfit a month and rotate between all of us, lol.

For beginner sewers, there is a website called "youcanmakethis.com" These patterns are downloadable, and many have step-by-step pictures to make them. While I did not start with these, I know many who have and LOVE them!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2014 :  12:32:31 PM  Show Profile
I have done quite a bit of my own wardrobe, but never the whole thing. Some things, I prefer store bought, but I love the old classic cuts and there are so many beautiful styles to choose from. I have a rough time fitting pieces together as my patterns aren't made for a hippy kinda gal with not much in the upper areas. LOL! I am always playing the fitting game. I prefer the aline dresses as they seem to be the simplest ones for me and so many amazing fabrics out there. There is a girl that is known as the Refashionista. She has some incredible ideas on how to repurpose clothes. She finds many things at thrifts that I would never think to buy, but she turns them into snazzy items. Her blog is refashionista.net She made an outfit a day for a whole year. It was definitely inspiring as I hate to get rid of anything and I love to save money. lol! I hope you'll post pics of your monthly new things!!

Hugs,
Jessica

F.K.A. CRsHelpmeet

"A friend is one who overlooks your broken fence to admire the flowers in your garden."
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2014 :  2:16:52 PM  Show Profile
I find many of my refashioning items in the trash. Perfectly serviceable clothing is always thrown out and is free for the taking. I found two long shifts once worn by a Somali woman in the trash. It already has arm holes so it just needs to be shortened, neckline altered and finished. Wa La! New summer dress it and amazing print.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Autumn
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Holly
Ontario
Canada
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2014 :  09:08:12 AM  Show Profile
Shannon, that sounds like a great idea! I've always admired how women used to sew for their families way back when. My grandmother tells me stories of sewing for her kids. It's a lost tradition but I think it's making a comeback.

I checked out the Refashionsta blog, an outfit a day?! That's crazy, how did she find the time? It's quite impressive.
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2014 :  12:47:49 PM  Show Profile
That's what I was thinking too! I would never be able to fit in an outfit a day. lol

Hugs,
Jessica

F.K.A. CRsHelpmeet

"A friend is one who overlooks your broken fence to admire the flowers in your garden."
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

Autumn
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Holly
Ontario
Canada
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2014 :  06:30:32 AM  Show Profile
I can hardly find time for an outfit a month lol. I hope I get to be that productive. I'm going in with a game plan, I have all my fabric laid out and patterns selected. Hopefully things go smoothly. I'm going to be sewing a vintage playsuit soon. :)
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2014 :  07:05:49 AM  Show Profile
As a challenge to myself, I am going to try to sew a piece of clothing a month. It may be as simple as a pair of pajama pants, or a full outfit. It will not always be for myself - in fact, that is pretty unlikely - but when all is said and done, that is my goal - one piece of clothing a month, at least. I actually completed an outfit already for July, though I totally cheated ;) I used already shirred material, sewed a side seam, added straps, and "wahlah" I had a dress for my 5 yo daughter :) My oldest is begging for some dresses for herself, so that will probably be my August project - she already has the material and pattern picked out... I'm thinking it is time for her to learn to lay out a pattern and follow it to create her own dress. We shall see :)

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2014 :  8:02:51 PM  Show Profile
I can honestly find used clothing cheaper for my kids then me making them. But, for my self, I make at least 80 percent, fill in about 15% with thrift and about 5% with new(clearance) items. That seems to be about the perfect balance for me, in getting what I need and saving money. (thrift and clearance often runs cheaper then I can make myself).

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2014 :  08:06:29 AM  Show Profile
I decided recently that I want to wear dresses almost exclusively. This wasn't a religious decision, it's just because I love to wear dresses, and they're so easy. Just throw one thing on. When I made this decision, I started looking for a basic and easy dress pattern. It was kind of hard to find! Eventually I found this blog http://100actsofsewing.com/home started by Sonya Philip. She made a personal challenge to make 100 dresses in a year. The blog has pictures of all of her dresses, most of which are pretty basic, but still pretty. The blog then led me to her etsy shop https://www.etsy.com/shop/100ActsofSewing?ref=pr_faveshops and I bought a pattern for a sleeveless knee length dress. The dress is not form fitting, it has pockets on both sides, and it just slips on over the head. No zippers, buttons, etc. I'd never made bias tape before, so I did have to learn that through a you tube video. I've made 4 dresses so far using this pattern, 2 of which used to be skirts that I never wore anymore. They are the perfect dresses for everyday wear around the house. :)

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

May my heart be kind, my mind fierce and my spirit brave. - Kate
Forsyth

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2014 :  08:43:37 AM  Show Profile
These probably wouldn't look good on my body type, but they do look super simple that's awesome. I make one dress pattern a lot, and then I make a lot of skirts. They are fast and easy.

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  1:40:27 PM  Show Profile
My sewing clothes has gone through seasons. When my daughters were little, I almost exclusively made their clothes and mine. As they got older and our homeschooling and activities demanded more of my time, I had less time to sew.

But, I made all their special occasion dresses and some simple skirts and shorts. My oldest got married last year and I made her wedding dress and all the bridesmaids' dresses. I haven't sewn a thing since then. I was 'sewed out'.

Right now, I'm in need of farm friendly sundresses. We have 80-100 degree weather for 7 months of the year and I'm always outside doing farm chores. I usually wear denim shorts and tank tops. For modesty sake, I have to quickly put on an overshirt when someone walks up the drive.
I'd like to be able to wear a light 100% cotton sleeveless loose fitting yet still flattering knee length dress. Not too long and not too short.....I don't want to trip over it and I don't want my booty showing when I bend over. :)

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  2:09:49 PM  Show Profile
it's a maternity/nursing dress that I make by Elizabeth Lee Designs it's sleeveless and such a easy sew up. I make it out of gauze usually. (lots of air/cool). And it came with a bed jacket pattern to go with it, and that makes a nice jacket/cover up for it as well.

Thats awesome about your DD's wedding. A friend made my dress. When I went looking for a dress with my SIL for their wedding day what was at David's was disgusting they wanted soooo much money for shoddy at best, work. It was the worst sewing I had ever seen in my life, and then the price tag! crazy!

Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Anyone sewing their own wardrobe? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page