Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 Tips on using a Cook stove
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Tips on using a Cook stove Next Topic  

Madinet85
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Elizabeth
Indiana
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2013 :  5:04:15 PM  Show Profile
We just got a wood burning cook stove installed in our house. Does anyone have a good reference on using it? We know a few things, but there are lots of little doors and resevoirs that we have no idea what they are for!

Farmgirl Sister #4915

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2013 :  9:50:29 PM  Show Profile
I have a 1931 antique wood cooking stove so I may be able to help you out a bit.....Do you have a pic you could down load so I could see it & be able to tell you what is what on it..does yours have a oven?......send me an email thur my name here & I will see if I can help :)

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Madinet85
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Elizabeth
Indiana
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2013 :  6:21:54 PM  Show Profile

This is our stove. It was an antique we inherited from my husband's grandfather. We have been able to get it going, and boil some water for cocoa and make a few grilled cheese, but thats about it. We tried to make popcorn on the stove today with our popcorn pan but failed spectacularly.
We were able to get the oven temperature up to about 350* but only for a few minutes. We know there is the one lever in the back that alternates whether you are heating the burners or oven, but like I said any advice we'd love to have.

Farmgirl Sister #4915
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2013 :  11:47:12 PM  Show Profile
wow that's a great looking stove dear hen!!! Now I do know from looking at it that the right side is where they heated water usually in a copper pot that fit it...or it can e used to store small kindling but must be checked on often so its not smoking from over heat...

Now mine has the lever for the oven, burner area on the front & while its down the air goes up the flue & pulled up partly shuts that so the oven can heat....the biggest thing is learning how to put in just the right amount of wood to get the oven to stay fairly where you want it, but its a guess until you play with it while you are heating the room & seeing what amount of wood works.....but remember to shut the back lever when you do this cause that's what will give you the true oven temp...if the lever is left open you will never get a true idea if you have a bitter cold windy day......

Now another thing with that lever closed it will also heat your room/area better as not as much heat is going up the chimney....you should have on one side or the back a knob that opens a small area outside where you put the wood, this is to maintain the right air flow...very good to use when 1st starting the fire so the room isn't full of smoke while the pipes heat up & you can then slowly close it as the fire gets going & the pipes are hot going into the chimney. From the pic I would say this knob might be on the left side but the door is open so I am not sure.

does yours have a hole in the bottom of the oven that has a round metal piece on it like the burner area? if so that is where you can take some of the hot coals & place down below the oven to help heat it to a better temp for you if you find you can't get it to the temp you want...if not then yours is set up so you can put some of the hot coals in from the top of the stove thur one of the burners for the oven.

I have never had to do this with mine yet as I have sort of figured out what wood (hard wood) to use & how much to get mine to 350...the trick is keeping it there...lol......its easier to cool it down by just opening the door for a bit than it is to just get it up to the temp...I know the old time woman had all kinds of treats & sure wish I knew one!

I have learned you can never treat these like a normal wood stove where you build up a hot fire & keep it going for hours on it...it will really damage the stove over time with cracks so its best to do a small fire & just keep feeding it thur out the day with small bits of wood & watch to see what temps it hits thurout the day as you do this...also

..green or soft woods will burn slower so if you get the temp to where you want it start using so of that as you feed the fire to maintain the near temp you need...but be warned, since they are not normal woodstoves your chimney & pipes need to be checked & cleaned every year as you will have a bad soot build up in the pipes & chimney....specially at the elbow joints.

I can not bake bread in mine yet but I can do roasts/chickens & just know they may cook faster so watch them....try something easy 1st like baked apples, you will be able to watch them & if you overcook them a bit they are still wonderful but it might help you be more comfortable with the oven or even just reheating something or baking potatoes...Can't wait to hear how you do with it & do enjoy it..hugs M'&crew

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
www.theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2013 :  11:38:11 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
Oh wow!!! I want one!!!!!!!!

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
http://dandeelionrose.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2013 :  11:39:20 AM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
What part of Indiana are you in Elizabeth??

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
http://dandeelionrose.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

Madinet85
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Elizabeth
Indiana
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2013 :  4:10:41 PM  Show Profile
We are in Southern Indiana, near Louisville.

Thanks for all your help Michelle! We've learned a few more things already, we are slowly figuring out the wood. My husband really enjoys cooking fajitas on the woodstove for dinner. We have a massive cast iron skillet that was gifted to us with the stove and it's perfect for fajitas. Our water reservoir has the copper pot that fits in it, and we keep filled with water.

Farmgirl Sister #4915
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2013 :  06:13:34 AM  Show Profile
Wow, what a beautiful stove!!! However, it sounds like there is a real learning curve to getting the temperatures just right for the various cooking needs. If I had a back up regular modern stove in the house, I would love the challenge of learning how to use such a fabulous heirloom. Good luck, Elizabeth with this project! It sounds like you and husband are getting the details figured out!! Keep us posted on how it all rolls out. What a great farm girl project for this winter!!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1480 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2013 :  07:11:36 AM  Show Profile
Oh Elizabeth...what a beautiful stove! I have my grandparent's 1920's era antique ivory-green enameled Majestic stove. She bought it used when they married in 1930. It needs some major repair work to be functional so for now it's just pretty to look at and I use the compartments for storage. (Maybe someday I will be able to afford to have it restored) But I still love dearly it even if I can't use it. You are so lucky to have one in working order! It has been so long since I've used this one that I've forgotten all the tricks we used to keep it up to temperature but I think Michele has mentioned most of the major concepts.

There is great resource for antique stoves in MN. The former owner Clifford Boram who I worked with lived in Monticello IN but he sold the business in 2009. I sent for information about my stove and received a bunch of information about it including original catalog page, a parts diagram, information about the manufacturer, when and where the stove was built, how much it cost originally ($132.50!), and how the original owners would have acquired it. I found the parts diagram really helpful in learning what some of the gadgets on my stove were designed for. I heard about this place while visiting an antiques store in Paxico KS. Here's the info for the new owner:

Antique Stove Information Clearinghouse
Dave Petricka
823 Lincoln Ave, Faribault, MN 55021
Phone: (507)-210-4304
Email: davepetricka@yahoo.com
Dave has recently purchased the largest library of stove related trade literature in North America. Dave charges $6.00 per stove for copies. Please include photos and identification information with your order.

I thought you and other farmgirls might appreciate this information.

Enjoy getting to know and use your wood stove!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Madinet85
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Elizabeth
Indiana
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2013 :  1:23:01 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn- thanks so much, I'll definitely have to send away for some more info.

Winnie- We probably could have kept the stove at baking temperatures for longer, but we didn't have a lot of firewood chopped right then. So we didn't want to just keep feeding it just to see if we could do it. Tomorrow we are making Christmas cookies with my DH's mom and Grandma. Since Grandma gave us the stove, we want to see if we can do one small pan of sugar cookies or something. Sugar cookies are fast so I figured that would be a good starting project!

Farmgirl Sister #4915
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2013 :  05:54:19 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, how picture perfect baking sugar cookies on an old wood stove for Christmas! Be sure to wear your best Farmgirl apron and take photos to post here!! I bet your Grandma will set you straight on the ins and outs of getting your "old girl" back into the swing of turning out family favorites in style! It all seems so Farmgirl romantic to me and I wish I could join you today with your grandmother for the cookie lesson! Whoop! My grandma had a similar stove in her farm kitchen and she could make anything in that old stove. We used to go every summer for several weeks and those cherries in the backyard turned into THE best pies ever! Not to mention her parker house rolls!! You can do this , Elizabeth! We are all cheering you on. Remember how long it took you to get used to computers and using the various programs? Same applies here. It is just a matter of practice and some help from an expert like your grandma and other farm girls here who know the tricks. You go girl!!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Madinet85
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Elizabeth
Indiana
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2013 :  09:29:11 AM  Show Profile
We did end up doing some sugar cookies in the wood stove. The first batch got burned to a crisp, but the second batch we tried came out really well. So we had about 6 good sugar cookies baked in the wood stove, and we felt very proud of ourselves! We let my husband's Grandma eat the first one and she deemed it a success! Her and DH's mom were both really happy to see that we are using the stove so much, they were worried it'd sit in storage for a long time and not get used. It was sort of a romantic farmgirl notion to bake the cookies in the stove. I don't know if I want to do it all the time, it was a lot of work, but I love knowing I can.

Farmgirl Sister #4915
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2013 :  05:29:49 AM  Show Profile
Yay, Elizabeth! Success with the wood stove! I am sure it is a lot of work and if you aren't using all day everyday, you have to build up the proper heat levels etc. Just think, however, if the power goes off this winter, you know you can use your stove and keep warm and cook!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

Madinet85
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Elizabeth
Indiana
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2014 :  5:24:37 PM  Show Profile
I got the fire started in my wood stove tonight on my first try! I've never been able to accomplish that before! Is there a merit bad or something for this? lol

Farmgirl Sister #4915
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2014 :  05:08:50 AM  Show Profile
What a perfect home companion to own with this blast of Arctic Air! Congratulations on getting your fire started. If the electricity goes out, old faithful will be working 24/7!!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

cj6
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

cj

USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2014 :  11:18:58 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn...thank you sooooooo much for posting about the man in Mn! I just bought a used cookstove(wood) a few months ago and have been trying to find info on it so we can put it in and use it.It's in wonderful shape but,having never used one or known anyone who has....I'm going to try and contact him tomorrow.

Everyone else including Madinet,thank you for this post and the info shared here
Go to Top of Page

Madinet85
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Elizabeth
Indiana
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2014 :  07:58:43 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Red Tractor Girl

What a perfect home companion to own with this blast of Arctic Air! Congratulations on getting your fire started. If the electricity goes out, old faithful will be working 24/7!!

Winnie #3109

That is what I love about it. It was so cold Monday the furnace just couldn't keep up and I was freezing. I was able to get the stove going and warm up for a little while before going to bed. We've already had out power go out once since we got it, and I was able to heat up some canned soup for supper. It was definitely better than nothing!

Farmgirl Sister #4915
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2014 :  2:08:12 PM  Show Profile
My husband just bought us a wood cookstove before Christmas and now we just need a house to put it in!!! His grandpa heats his house with his and they also use it for cooking with the mindset that, if it's hot, why not?! :) I found some really neat cooking with woodstove cook booklets at a museum back home that we picked up for $3 each! I think Mother Earth Living current issue has a bunch of cookstove recipes this issue... Sorry if it was a different magazine, I just saw that while I was looking for the new MaryJanesFarm issue there was a magazine with a cover photo of their feature article on cooking with cast iron and woodstoves :) Happy Cooking!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Madinet85
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Elizabeth
Indiana
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2014 :  4:43:08 PM  Show Profile
Our stove doesn't really heat the house. At most it warms up the living room its in. It's definitely not made to heat up the area its in. We eventually want a stove for in the living room thats made to heat up the space, and this stove will get moved to the kitchen.

Farmgirl Sister #4915
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2014 :  05:19:41 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, I am happy to hear that your wood stove was able to provide some relief to the blast of Arctic air that has been settled over your region. You know, I think your idea of having the wood stove in your kitchen eventually would be an incentive to use it more because all of your cooking stuff would be right there and hopefully by then you will feel more at ease with understanding how the thing actually works. If not, it will be darn cute in your kitchen and a joy to work around! In Tasha Tudor's books about her life in Vermont, there are photos of her in her "Winter Kitchen" which was where her large wood stove was located . She had a big rocking chair nearby where she would knit and do other handwork. She also painted in the kitchen and the wood stove appears in many of her illustrations. Tasha chose to live her life in the 18th century style and learned an perfected the art of such things as wood stove cooking out of interest and necessity. She has a book of recipes all cooked on her wood stove and she regularly invited friends for tea where she made wonderful cookies and scones. Any way, I enjoy hearing about your adventures with the new stove!

Winnie #3109
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2014 :  5:38:30 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, there a a few tricks that you can use. Put a large kettle of water on the back left burner. It will evaporate, providing humidity which will make the room seem warmer. It is also faster than a microwave for making tea or a can of soup. Find a clothes drying rack, or improvise with two chairs and a tension rod. Great for preheated mittens and hats. If you have a ceiling fan in the room, use it. All that heat rises. You can also use a small fan to divert air into another area.

When you are not using the stove for cooking, use thicker pieces of wood. For cooking, use thinner pieces and add one about every fifteen minutes. It will build up coals better. Keep a covered cast iron frying pan on the top, to the right for keeping things warm. Slide it to the "high burner" on the left for great grilled sandwiches.

Go to Top of Page
  Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Tips on using a Cook stove Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page