Madinet85
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Elizabeth
Indiana
USA
94 Posts

Posted - May 18 2014 :  11:35:53 AM  Show Profile
I came across this blog post last night and it really hit a cord with me.
http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2013/11/dear-city-homesteader.html#sthash.65NBs6LB.dpbs

I know sometimes I get frustrated that I haven't been able to quit my job to homestead full time, or my husband hasn't quite agreed to buy me a dairy cow. But even thought I work full time and buy my milk at the store, I can still homestead every day, and even a little bit is better than nothing.

What did you do to homestead today? We planted my two teeny tiny raised beds, using the square foot garden technique. Last year I tried a bigger garden and got so overwhelmed that I ended up getting nothing from the garden. I'm going smaller this year, but hopefully I can get a few things to enjoy and try a little bit bigger next year.

Farmgirl Sister #4915

Edited by - Madinet85 on May 18 2014 11:36:20 AM

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - May 18 2014 :  12:46:03 PM  Show Profile
I planted today. I hope it will stay warm and that all the plants survive.

In the ground are cherry tomatoes, purple tomatoes, swiss chard, 3 kinds of basil, red peppers, peas, zuccini and dill. I watched the line of sunshine on the yard so I would know from the shadow what time it was. The garage shades the garden in the morning and that's when I want to be out working on it.

I have repurposed three futon bed frames into trellises. My fencing is buried bike tire rims. I have made a rain gauge and will be putting up a wind sock. I have a pallet with which I will make a standing pallet garden.

I am active in my community in Minneapolis. I volunteer at the school, teach in the after school program, attend community meetings and patronize the many restaurants in this area. I pick up trash everytime I take my dog out for a walk and have gotten to know as many of the neighbors as I can.

Minneapolis neighbourhoods are like small towns and each has it's own character. I do not want to live in a rural area. I like the compactness of my life and the ability to choose how much effort I want to put into my homestead. This is where I want to be.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 18 2014 :  12:51:12 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth! I totally identify with that post, too! Ever since joining MJF... Well, actually, ever since first reading MaryJane's magazine, I've been learning and adding to my skills little by little. We live in a little city that is quickly becoming overrun with gangs and biker gangs (I kid you not!), and most days all I want to do is pack up, move to the country and live in a little tent until we can build our own home with a small barn and a chicken coup, a huge garden and small orchard. And I'd love to have a mondo sized kitchen where I could store all my canning and dehydrating supplies. I'd also love to have a root cellar and a pantry that would make Amish women cry. My husband always promises, but the reality is, it's not going to happen over night for us. And, unfortunately, the longer we wait, the older we get, and the less "able" HE feels as a result (I don't think age matters, really. My girlfriend's grandparents are in their eighties and still working their farm - it's what keeps them going! And my aunt and uncle ran their farm well into their seventies!) But you know, the woman who wrote that post is absolutely right: we really CAN homestead right where we are by learning to become more self-sufficient right within our current means. It's more about a frame of mind - a mindset - than it is about a place, you know? My home and yard look anything BUT like a farm, but when I'm down and dirty in the soil, or canning in the kitchen, or hanging out the clothes, if I close my eyes, I know I'm just one step closer to living the dream! LOVE it! :) It's like taking a road trip from Point A to Point B: If all you do is focus on the time and the miles, you'll miss the scenery, you'll miss out on the cool little places to stop, you'll miss out on the most important part - the RIDE!!!

You know, yesterday we struck up a really great conversation with the owner of a local organic nursery and his wife. That half-hour conversation led us to a great beef contact as well as some little known places for local, organically grown produce that we have been longing to find in order to supplement what we are able to produce for ourselves. They also shared some great gardening information with us, and told us what they are expecting to see produced and not available locally due to this crazy weather, and ways that we can start planning ahead and save money come fall. In turn, we shared with them some great information where they can obtain some organic amendments for their home garden (they were SO excited!), as well as some great food supply shops, a couple of great farmgirl handmade soap and apron connections (you know who you are!), and ethnic grocers as well as some really great ethnic restaurants. We have been customers of these wonderful people for years, but yesterday, we suddenly became great friends. They didn't care that we live in the city. They didn't care that we don't have a lot of land or livestock or anything like that. It was just pretty exciting to talk and learn about all the common values, goals and interests we share. We made a really great connection with these people, despite our "city limits." Important lesson: Our "city limits" only limit us insofar as much as we allow them.

This weekend, to "homestead" in our tiny neck of the woods, we planted some cool crop veggies, and I have been dehydrating some veggies as well. I have a huge batch of Boston Baked Beans slow cooking in the oven that I plan to can tonight (thanks for the recipe, Sharon!), and I've also been canning kidney beans all day, thanks to our farmgirl sister Lisa, who shared her "recipe" and tips for making it as easy as possible! (Lisa - found it in JC's book, too! THANK YOU!!!)

Our farmgirl sisters have made all the difference in my attempt at "homesteading." They are SUCH a blessing! Through them, I've learned how to can (and not to fear it!), how to dehydrate, how to garden (used to be the Queen of Black Thumbs!), I've received some great homeschooling information, and have learned and tried so many other wonderful things that I have wanted to know and do for so long. And it only gets better as my farmgirl heart's horizons expand every year! The best part, though? The friendships! OH MY GOSH! I LOVE MY FARMGIRL SISTERS!!! If it weren't for MaryJane and the magazine and this wonderful Farmgirl Connection, I honestly don't know if I ever would've tried any of this on my own. But they have helped me to believe in myself, to find my footing, to run and finally take flight with the wings that God gave me! Now I know that I can probably really do anything that I set my mind to do, just like Grandma always told me... With the help of God, of course, and now, because I've got all my wonderful farmgirl sisters guiding me, advising me and cheering me on! :)

Thanks for sharing that link, Elizabeth. It sure made me smile, and it sure made me more grateful than ever!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on May 18 2014 1:09:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

jeskawest
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Jessica
Long Beach California
USA
14 Posts

Posted - May 22 2014 :  05:54:27 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing this link. I love homesteading blogs - I think I even have a copy of her ebook floating around, but I keep putting off reading it. I'm in an apartment right now, and I always think "once I'm in a house, I'll really start doing xyz". Usually it's gardening that I put off. I do cook lots of things from scratch and make my own beauty and cleaning products. But I would love to grow my own food. And here in Long Beach you can have chickens in your back yard. My brother had a few for awhile, but his wife was sick and they became too much to take care of. So maybe if I get over my fear of their pointy little beaks (ridiculous, I know) and I convince my husband, I'll get some chickens once we have a house.
I love Marie's point of view - that's sort of how I feel about Long Beach, although I also would love to have an acre or two in a semi-rural area up in the Pacific NW someday. But for now, Long Beach is a wonderful community.
Today I finished up a batch of homemade beef broth that's been cooking in my slow cooker for two days. Yum!

Jessica

"Whatever you are, be a good one" - Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - May 22 2014 :  10:25:13 AM  Show Profile
Here's my garden. I plan to give away my excess produce to the neighbours and the local food shelf.

You can see the futon frames that are now trellises. Everytime I do dishes, I gather the wash water and splash it on a part of the garden. It's okay, I used only organic cleaning products.

Here is Mitzi, my garden helper.

There are scary people here in Minneapolis. I have found that if I engage them as if they are human beings, I realize that they are people just like me who are just looking for a way to fit in and make sense of their lives. At one time I chose to walk home from a job I had in the early evening. I had to pass a corner where some illegal entrepenearial activity was known to happen. As I approached, I saw three young men standing there. I decided not to have any prejudgements about them and considered how I would engage them as I passed. I said "Good evening gentlemen." as I passed. They wished me good evening. Every evening they were there and every time we greeted each other in this way. I realized after a while that they were watching out for me and for that I was grateful. I just hope that they will remember this kind lady in their future and know that not everyone looks at them with suspicion.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - May 23 2014 :  7:19:05 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing the blog. Sometimes I think I am the
only one NOT LIVING on a farm! Looks like I have plenty of company.
Today, my homesteading activities were transplanting a few herbs and
flowers and freezing some beans, strawberries and chives from the Farmers
Market. I enjoy days like today!

~blessings~
Jenne
Farmgirl #4616

Go to Top of Page

Madinet85
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Elizabeth
Indiana
USA
94 Posts

Posted - May 25 2014 :  4:03:12 PM  Show Profile
I learned how to butcher a chicken today, it was pretty gruesome work, but the husband and I agreed that if we were going to keep chickens it was an inevitable task.
I also took the time to hang some laundry on the line. I love knowing I'm saving a bit of money and not using so much electricity!

Farmgirl Sister #4915
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 25 2014 :  9:30:28 PM  Show Profile
I live in town so all I have is a small garden in the backyard and an herb garden out front. It finally rained today so I'll get two more tomato and pepper plants planted tomorrow. I found a tiny caterpillar on one of my indoor pepper plants--he had munched most of the leaves, but at least I found it before it got to the others. My beans are doing well, as are my peas. The tomatoes are hanging in there and the eggplants are kinda sad-looking. My herb garden is doing better. I have sage, cilantro, rosemary and fenugreek. I planted some basil but it hasn't come up yet. My indoor basil is also doing poorly. I have a compost bin and try to grow as organically as possible. I just bought a book, Wildly Affordable Organic, and it has lots of recipes and tips for cooking healthy and saving money. Our town is supposed to be opening a co-op soon so I'll join that. We can have chickens here but I don't have the time (or money) to get chickens right now. I plan to make a solar oven this summer. I've been making some of my own beauty products from organic sources. I've been told by a young co-worker that I eat "weird" foods but she's young and just doesn't get it yet. (Someday she will). It's almost time for the farmer's market to start so I'll be shopping there on Saturdays. They have bakery and clothing/accessories in addition to food. and live music and activities for the kids. There are lots of people in this town who are committed to living more simply, you just have to know where to find them. And yes, like Nini, we have biker gangs and other gangs. The worst of the biker gangs, the Outlaws, left town a number of years ago. Some of the bikers have fund raisers to raise money for children's causes. You really can't judge a book by its cover. And a person can homestead very well on a small lot. It's just a different way of looking at the world--we all know that we don't have a limitless supply of natural resources and we want to preserve what we do have for generations to come. That's why I homestead.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 27 2014 :  04:18:09 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Cindy! I had no idea we shared so much in common with respect to where we live! Yeah... The gang overunning our town right now are the Pagans. But you're right, there are a LOT of wonderful, non-violent-yet-formidable-LOOKING biker gangs out there who really are just great people who love the open road, God and country. We do have many family and friends who are part of the good biker groups. We really shouldn't judge by the cover. Absolutely! :)

Funny story: Over the past week, I've had two good friends ask me about the "crazy" things I've been doing over the years - gardening, hanging laundry, canning and dehydrating, buying local and organic, making food and other products from scratch, using my solar oven, etc. Both have teased me incessantly at times for my simple living and for doing all this "crazy, unnecessary work," for paring down to basics, and for my enthusiasm about learning and utilizing "old fashioned skills." Both have teased me about making life harder than it needs to be; for being "backwards" for reverting to ways of our Grandmothers; for not being my former "shopping queen" self who loved expensive clothing, fine decor, etc.; and for getting out of debt and my commitment to remaining debt-free. Some of these things were so foreign to them... Unthinkable...Laughable... They basically felt I was needlessly - and probably a bit foolishly - turning backwards and away from a much better, progressive world. But lately things in their lives are changing. One has been laid off with very little opportunity for work in the state in which she lives; the other is looking down a very short road to retirement with very little cushion to fall back on. Both are frightened by how quickly their world has changed. Mortgages, car loans, and credit card debt are looming over their heads. The economy is unstable and the cost of putting HEALTHY food on the table is becoming more and more difficult.

One commented how she didn't understand why food, which is in poor condition to begin with, can possibly cost so much. I explained about where our food comes from, how long it takes to get here, the many hands it goes through, etc. - all the things leading up to its arrival at the grocery store, detracting from its nutritional value, and adding to its cost. She was shocked, never having considered that before. I explained that that is why it's so important to buy local, and then told her where she could go to find all the best our area had to offer. Then she brought up how economists are telling us to brace ourselves for escalating food prices this fall. Her budget is already stretched, and the kids are both out of the house now! We decided that this summer she will definitely be coming to the farmer's market with me, and, I hope, some of the other local "hot spots."

My other friend discussed the costs of fuel and maintaining her home in the light of her lay-off. Her mother teased her recently for having six boxes of rice pilaf in the cupboard, insinuating that she was hoarding. She explained to her mother how tough things have become for her financially, so when food goes on sale, she stocks up. She know she will eat it eventually. Further, she and her daughter now shop for clothing exclusively at second-hand shops and she can't get over the great - and I mean unbelievably great - deals they get. Most of the time they shop in stores in wealthier areas, and many of the clothes look like they have barely been worn, or are new with the tags still on. It blew her away to see the original cost of the items, to see that they had never been worn, and to see the ridiculously low price for which she was able to now purchase them. She spoke in terms of a couple of dollars vs. hundreds. She just couldn't get over it. She asked me about gardening, canning foods, and expressed a particular interest in dehydrating and food preservation. She knows no one but me who does anything like this, and she wants to learn. If she comes to visit this summer, would I teach her? I was blown away. OF COURSE!!!

They're worried, and now they're asking ME, the one whom neither seemed to really understand, for help. It's as if suddenly two of my closest friends had an awakening, and they both seeing things in a much different light. All the changes I've been slowly and steadily making in my life over the past few years suddenly don't seem so ridiculous anymore - they want to do it, too! I am just so thrilled that they're starting to see things my way, and are waking up to things that have concerned me for so long. And I am so grateful that I am able to share what I have learned with them. When I started all of this, I had to teach myself with very little guidance. I am extremely grateful to MJF and our beloved farmgirls for teaching me so much, for being extremely patient to answer my questions and for celebrating with me as I met with success. You've all been my inspiration. I honestly don't think I would have come this far without you!

You know, the week before last a dear childhood friend called. She's definitely a city girl. That's not a bad thing, of course, but we do live and see things very differently. She has a budding writing career. She is a life coach and motivational speaker. She eats out on a regular basis, buys fancy clothes. She's always perfectly manicured, and holds herself to a very high standard of living. Money is always tight, but it seems to her this is the way life is. She can't even seem to imagine living like I do. Despite her Christian faith, she's involved in this very odd new age movement, and she thinks she is on top of the world. Everyone in that circle of her friends constantly strokes her and convinces her to see her reality much differently than it actually is. The terms "visualize," and "manifest" are always at the tip of her tongue, but mostly what I hear is about her struggling and ignoring - in effect, denying - her reality. When she asked what I've been up to, she was shocked to hear about all the things I've been learning and implementing in my life. She was a bit condescending to be honest, and said, "I don't understand it. I don't get it. But I certainly do love your enthusiasm." She didn't mean to be rude, but it was obvious that she feels her lifestyle is so much better than mine - that how I live is beneath her. I just let it go because I love her so dearly - we've been friends forever! - and I truly do respect her and would never want to offend. I'm extremely concerned about her, but she scoffs if I say anything, so I keep my thoughts and concerns to myself. Hopefully she'll come around. If and when she does, I'll be here, in turn, to motivate and coach her. :)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on May 27 2014 04:28:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Madinet85
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Elizabeth
Indiana
USA
94 Posts

Posted - May 27 2014 :  06:28:03 AM  Show Profile
I think it's funny that you bring that up, my husband and I are both in our twentie's and our peer group has always found us a bit different. This weekend a friend of my husband's was over, and remarked how we were "lucky" to both have paid off cars. I said nicely it wasn't luck, we worked hard and sacrificed to pay them off. We don't have fancy clothes or go out a lot, and we don't pay for TV. We have put paying off our debt above having a new car, and people don't get that. We both know that once our debt and house is paid off though, that we will be in a much better situation and will be able to do more of what we love.

Farmgirl Sister #4915
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 27 2014 :  3:09:40 PM  Show Profile
Nini--maybe you could interest your Christian new-age friend in a chat about "manifesting" a world where no one takes more than they need. I have a problem with both Christian and new-age followers who, like you say, deny reality, and focus on "manifesting" great things for themselves. I believe, like Jesus said, that "the meek shall inherit the Earth". Won't go into detail about meekness, but it's sadly lacking in our culture. I do believe we are at a pivotal point in the history of the world, and no one knows what the future holds, but I pray for humans to realize that this is the only Earth we have and if we trash it--some people say that this life doesn't matter, but if we can't appreciate the beautiful world that God has given us, how are we going to appreciate heaven? I have felt the loving energy that comes from hugging certain trees and I've seen unidentifiable birds dance like fairies right before my very eyes. Reminds me of the song "When I was young, it seemed like life was so wonderful/ A miracle/ Oh it was beautiful, magical/ And all the birds in the trees, well they'd be singing so happily, joyfully, playfully watching me..." I wish I could "manifest" that kind of world for everyone, but of course, I can't, but I can try to persuade people to do with a little less and walk gently upon the Earth. And I can only accomplish that if I live it. I participated in the "March Against Monsanto" this past weekend and was heartened by how many people showed up to protest the corporate takeover of our food supply. Lots of people honked and gave us a thumbs up as they drove by. So there is hope that we can effect change. I think you'll find more people asking you questions about the way you live and the changes you've made as time goes on. People are worried about what kind of future awaits their children and grandchildren. Time will tell.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 27 2014 :  7:13:00 PM  Show Profile
SUPERTRAMP! "The Logical Song"! That was one of my favorite songs - ALBUMS - in Junior High, Cindy! Love it! I never thought about it that way, but you're absolutely right. I couldn't quite put my finger on what was troubling me the most, but you've hit the nail on the head. Jesus told us to "deny <ourselves>, pick up <our> cross<es>, and follow <Him>." He wasn't about Himself, He was about us. He set THE example, and we are called to follow and be about others for His sake. I really like what you said. I'm going to have to pray about that for a while. THANK YOU! And what a great affirmation the march must've been, too! Awesome!

Elizabeth - I am so excited for you... The sacrifices are so worth it. I love what Dave Ramsey says: "Live today like no one else, so you can LIVE tomorrow like no one else." You GO girl! Don't let anything break your stride! You can do it! Keep up the good work! It really WILL be worth it in the end - in so many more ways than you can imagine!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Madinet85
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Elizabeth
Indiana
USA
94 Posts

Posted - May 29 2014 :  6:59:00 PM  Show Profile
Here's another one girls, 5 families homesteading in the city:
http://blueyurtfarms.com/5-urban-homesteaders-share-homestead-stories/

I can definitely learn a few things from the garden's in a couple of those stories! WOW!

Farmgirl Sister #4915
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 30 2014 :  07:48:16 AM  Show Profile
SO cool, Elizabeth! I love that arch in the one picture... I should try to make one here. That sure would expand our space! Thanks for sharing!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 31 2014 :  05:41:52 AM  Show Profile
I am very excited we got most of our garden in day after Memorial Day which is a big change from the last few years as has been too cold and wet.

I put in so far, tomatoes, beets, carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, butternut squash, pumpkins, melon and cucumbers. Still need to get in beans, zucchini and probably some potatoes and onions. If we get them in by next weekend should be ok.

Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2014 :  11:26:29 AM  Show Profile
My garden is finally in, too. I have been checking every day for new growth, and everything is coming up just ducky, 'cept for my kale. I've done three plantings so far, and not a seedling to be seen! Visited the nursery the other day and he said to just keep trying. I'm close to giving up, though, and am thinking about planting more spinach instead. We'll see.

Have also been extremely busy canning all sorts of good things: pork, sausage patties, beans, baked beans, carrots, corned beef that I bought on sale back in March... lots of home canned goodness. Makes me so happy! :) My goal is to get my shelves stocked with homecanned and dehydrated goods before fall so we can shop our shelves all winter... I am loving this!

Also, I've decided to just go ahead and try making my own laundry detergent. I've had so much success with the Nellie's brand, but if there is something I can make, I at least want to try. My problem was that I couldn't find washing soda locally, but I found out how to make it at home with plain baking soda, so now I'm "on a mission!" LOL! My son's starting back at work full time next week for the summer, so all my fun projects are patiently awaiting my new found free time! Can't WAIT to get started!

What are you all up to this week?

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2014 :  06:57:03 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, I love the title of your post, "Homestead Where You Are". So true! There is always some form of homesteading or back to basics skills that we can do no matter where we live. We can all be a 'Farmgirl at Heart'.

Today, I am fixing fences to keep coyotes out and getting ready for fall planting.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2014 :  11:01:50 AM  Show Profile
I am jealous, a fall garden . Lucky to be able to have the one & get enough produce. We need to start getting ready for.... Winter. Have sauerkraut a sauering on the counter and almost enough tomatoes to start canning.

Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  12:40:47 PM  Show Profile
I think I'm doing pretty good on partial homesteading. I, too would love to be totally self sufficient.

I have my meat needs met with chickens, rabbits, goats and turkeys. I have a source for beef.I have eggs and dairy from the goats.
I have a large garden and a small orchard.

Part of my homesteading goals for the upcoming year is to grow fodder in a tray system. I'm hoping it'll bring more nutrition and less feed costs.

After that project, I want to start on an aquaponics system for fish and greens.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2014 :  12:54:33 PM  Show Profile
I'm finally realizing that to make my homesteading dreams come true that I have to stop dreaming and start DOING! So my approach now is to BE INTENTIONAL about making things happen. Much of homesteading is in the planning and then the doing so right now, I'm taking all the traditions I want to learn and prioritizing them by what is ONE thing I can do TODAY that will set the stage for my future DOING....today, my husband and I marked some maple trees so we can learn to tap them for sap to process into maple syrup and maple sugar. We almost waited too long since there were few leaves left on the trees but I discovered that the bark on maple trees is kind of distinctive - so check on LEARNING something new today and check on DOING something to move toward the homesteading lifestyle I want!

Peace,
Star
EstleSchippFarm.blogspot.com

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2014 :  2:23:22 PM  Show Profile
What a good reminder. I always have a better chance of accomplishing something if I write it down, or make lists. Thanks for the inspiration, Star!

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

~ Let our lives be full of both Thanks and Giving ~

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2014 :  05:24:06 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Just found this thread :)
Going to make some coffee, and enjoy reading thru. Also looking into the blog shared!
A topic after my own heart!

Hugs,
Linda

http://grannysbirds.blogspot.com/
Country at Heart
'For I know the plans I have for you......'
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2014 :  5:39:45 PM  Show Profile
My homestead where you are project this week was to learn about water storage for emergencies.

http://estleschippfarm.blogspot.com/2014/11/skills-saturday-water-storage.html

EstleSchippFarm.blogspot.com

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2014 :  03:06:27 AM  Show Profile
Star
You are so right about making it happen! Sometimes my wheels just spin because I have too many things going. I tell my husband one thing at a time but forget for myself. Our dream is so close to happening sometimes, full time farming, just have to take the leap of faith and go.

Thanks for reminder!

Rae

Go to Top of Page

dena91
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Dena
Pennsylvania
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  6:59:43 PM  Show Profile
Like most of you, this topic is near and dear to my heart! I've been thinking a lot about this lately, and my take on it right now for me is this: I can do homestead activities each day even if I don't have a farm, lots of livestock, or a huge garden. Right now I am the only one in my family interested in this life style so I need to pick projects I can easily manage on my own - like container gardening, canning produce from local farms, and small stitching projects to name a few. Its so easy for me to dream BIG and then get overwhelmed and discouraged. Keeping it 'my size' helps me enjoy the blessings of this life style, but not get in over my head. Still, there are days when I want it all: a farm, lots of animals, an orchard...Maybe some day some of that will come true, but for now I want to enjoy what I can and be thankful I get to experience this wonderful lifestyle!
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  7:41:12 PM  Show Profile
Keeping it "my size" is perfect for everyone no matter the size of our homestead. Some can do many and big and some of us need to keep it a bit smaller & keep adding skills.

Rae

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Homestead Where you Are Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page