Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Craft booth ideas? Fiber theme
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Craft booth ideas? Fiber theme Next Topic  

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2014 :  5:24:52 PM  Show Profile
I've been demonstrating spinning
wool at local farm-park, and have permission to sell crafts. Mostly the visitors are families with kids and maybe grandparents.

Any experience anyone has with selling knitted items at this type of venue? I'm looking for experience with what sells well.

I've not had much luck selling handspun or hand-dyed wool, although I have sold some. I'm thinking I need to go to the next step in the process and make some finished items, but don't have a lot of time to make things I can't use and won't sell.

Your feed back is appreciated.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Brightmeadow

farmacology girl
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Tamara
Bakersville NC
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2014 :  3:44:59 PM  Show Profile
I haven't sold premade yarn products but I have been to lots of markets and saw them being sold. Hats, scarfs, mittens are always good sellers. A baby set maybe for show...Base your design on who comes to the farm. Younger adults, then do hipper looking products. Also offer to take orders for products. Customers would pay 1/2 down and be able to pick a style and colors. They would pay the remaining 1/2 when they pick up the products. Have some images for them to choose from. GOOD LUCK

Green Blessings
www.farmacologyorganics.com
Go to Top of Page

Southern Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Alice
Inman SC
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2014 :  3:52:52 PM  Show Profile
I have a friend who makes sheep pins from her wool (felts them). Her's are kind of rustic and each one seems to have a different personality. They retail for about $7 - $15 depending on the size.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2014 :  11:20:25 PM  Show Profile
I go to lots of fiber events and something I don't recall ever having see is small felted items made from undyed roving. That could be really striking, especially in contrasting neutrals from different animals. You could do small things like little purses or even smartphone cozies.
Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2015 :  9:55:57 PM  Show Profile
With the people that are attending (Mostly the visitors are families with kids and maybe grandparents.) I think you're right that they would tend to go for finished goods instead of raw wool. Our local fiber event is geared towards other fiber addicts so finished goods don't move well there but the raw wool does. So it's good that you recognized your market.

I heard once that it takes 3 years before your customers trust you. I think that there's some truth to that from what I see and am seeing a trend where the 2nd year is about the same/little less than 1st year but having some awesome 3rd and 4th years.

Penny
Soaper and Not So Crazy Goat Lady

Celebrating Wholesome Living in a Colorful World
www.facebook.com/444Farm
www.444Farm.com
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2015 :  06:29:24 AM  Show Profile
How about knitted finger puppets? The kids would love them and Mom and Dad would love the price. I have found that many parents give their kids a little spending money at a fair. Having a place for them to shop brings Mom and Dad into the booth...ie: more sales.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2015 :  07:18:04 AM  Show Profile
I would advise making hats of chunky yarn with a variegated color way. The chunky yarn works up quickly and the variegated yarn always looks beautiful.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

SandraM
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Sandra
Coldwater Michigan
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2015 :  5:15:52 PM  Show Profile
I think knitted items are wonderful, but a thing to remember is people like unique hand crafted items, but still want them at discount prices. I know there are exceptions to that rule, but this is the biggest complaint I hear shared among fiber artist.

Felted beads? Needle felting kits for the kids?

Sandra
www.mittenstatesheepandwool.com
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  06:53:12 AM  Show Profile
Get on pinterest and find items you can knit or crochet in record time. the smaller the better because of time and pricing. There are adorable baby hats and little sandals, shoes, and booties right now. Also print out pinterest pictures and stick them in an album next to balls or skeins of yarn this could prompt people to connect an idea with your products. I saw this done at a garage sale and yes I bought the item because of the picture to show me what to do with the item. Maybe you need to change the location of your booth. Is there a different place with better prospective clients? Can you wholesale to a upper end retail store? How about etsy, ebay, or a local craigslist type network. Do they have artisan markets in your area? Can you put yourself somewhere that people like this type of thing and willing to pay the price? I wish I lived closer, would love to see your wares.
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Craft booth ideas? Fiber theme Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page