countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2014 :  7:13:22 PM  Show Profile
I am planning on going to the Farmer's Market and other vendor events this coming year with homemade items as well as seedlings. How do I begin to price things properly regarding these reasons:
1) So I do not take a loss on things (at least covering my expenses).

2) Fairly, so I'm not undercutting the "competition".

3) Affordably enough so I can bring organic items to the "regular" person.

This is my first time doing this and I'm just having a hard time pricing things for those reasons.

I'm going to focus on organic fabric or reclaimed/vintage fabric and items. Re purposed items as well.

I'm going to make toddler dresses/ rompers in organic or vintage fabric. Baby blankets, totes, embroidered dish towels, jewelry, re purposed home items, plaques, my photography and possibly some other random items.

I'm also checking into the possibility of baked and/or canned goods. But, I'm still in the exploration process of that portion. For now I will stick to the non-edible items to sell.

Any advice on pricing will be most appreciated! Thanks!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney

Joanna
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Ontario
Canada
94 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2015 :  11:51:48 AM  Show Profile
Is there a Farmer's Market somewhere that sells the items that you want to sell? If so, you could possibly visit there and see what things are selling for. Otherwise, I try to keep track of any money I spend on a given project so I know the minimum amount that I need to make back.

Joanna - Sister #5965

http://roomsandwindows.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2015 :  08:05:40 AM  Show Profile
Some items might be "loss leaders" -- that is, things you sell at cost or even less, just to get people into your booth and looking for other items. Something that friends of mine have learned at their communities' farm markets is that it pays more to specialize in something that you do spectacularly well, rather than trying to be a department store with only a few offering in many categories. Be the "Beet Lady," for example, with harvest beet roots for sale in bunches, maybe different varieties that no one else has, plus things made with beets: pickled beets, clothing or years dyed with beet juice, even homemade "lip dew" and "cheek dew" -- makeup butters tinted with beets. You can have something for everyone's budget, in a booth that will be really distinctive for its emphasis on one cool thing. You can still bring in all your different products that you want to sell, as long as there's some kind of tie in.
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Pricing Questions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page