Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Chapters
 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter
 Poor House Farmgirl Chapter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Poor House Farmgirl Chapter Next Topic
Page: of 5

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1409 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1409 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  2:42:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh yay!!! How sweet is that :) I'm so excited Rachell - I have your first package all ready to go!! Did you email me your address and info about you yet? I haven't received anything, but I do think my email is acting up a bit.

I'm excited to become closer sisters Rachell :)

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1409 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1409 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2015 :  5:34:52 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone collected any badges? If so - what do you do with them when you've printed them? How do I go about putting it on my fabric? I have no idea how to do this :)

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2015 :  05:01:58 AM  Show Profile
What I did was I ironed the shiny side of freezer paper to my fabric, to make it stiff, and printed the badge image onto the fabric that way. If you do that, you might have to change a setting on your printer to accommodate thicker paper, and also the fabric/freezer paper has to be cut to the exact size of a regular piece of paper, with no frayed edges (that could get stuck in your printer). I've done this six times and I have gotten it stuck once or twice, but this method works pretty well.

I'm still undecided on what I want to do with my badges. So far I have just embroidered them. I hope that helps Joyce! :)

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"It is... through the world of the imagination which takes us beyond the restrictions of provable fact, that we touch the hem of truth." - Madeleine L'Engle

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1409 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1409 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2015 :  08:45:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi Erin! Thanks for the tips - now, does freezer paper stick to fabric when ironed? I did not know that. Did you then look through the fabric and embroider it on? Did you take the freezer paper off after embroidering?

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2015 :  2:15:29 PM  Show Profile
The paper just peels right off. It sticks enough to get it through the printer, but it doesn't leave anything on the fabric after you peel it off. Supposedly you can reuse the freezer paper for more fabric, but I remember having trouble with that, so I wouldn't recommend it. Just get a new piece each time.

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"It is... through the world of the imagination which takes us beyond the restrictions of provable fact, that we touch the hem of truth." - Madeleine L'Engle

Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1409 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1409 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2015 :  3:10:08 PM  Show Profile
Erin - when the paper gets peeled off, does the print remain on the fabric? Or do you embroider it, and then remove the fabric?

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2015 :  06:36:00 AM  Show Profile
You want to send the fabric through the printer so that it prints directly onto the fabric. The freezer paper is just on the back to make it stiff enough to go through. As soon as you print your image, you can peel the paper off and put the fabric in an embroidery hoop and go to town! I'm sorry if I'm not explaining it well. I had the tutorial saved on pinterest and I tried to look it up yesterday to post the link for you, but I couldn't find it. Does that make sense? I'm going to look for it again...

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1409 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1409 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2015 :  08:10:38 AM  Show Profile
Yes! That makes sense :) Thank you SOOO much!!

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2015 :  06:19:38 AM  Show Profile
Well I know you understand it now, but I found the link for printing on fabric, so I'm going to post it here just for future reference. Maybe it'll help someone else out later :)

http://thegraphicsfairy.com/print-fabric-freezer-paper-method-2/

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

288 Posts

Kathleen
CT
USA
288 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2015 :  07:15:53 AM  Show Profile  Send NixKat a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Daizy

Oh. I thought you said you got mine. I sent the Chapter Membership Certificate and a few cards for you to give as introduction to your area friends who might want to join you in our virtual group.

I will try to find out the exact date I sent them and check my list to be sure.....but I am almost positive that I sent yours.

Hello Mz Daizy,
I have not received your Chapter Welcome Packet either.

Kathleen...... Farmgirl Sister #3447

http://hennypennyfarm.blogspot.com/
http://time-2-sew.com
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1409 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1409 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2015 :  07:48:11 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful! Thank you Erin :D

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

modernpioneermama76
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Rebecca
Cavour South Dakota
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2015 :  9:08:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies,

I would love to join y'all, if I may. I'm a homeschooling mama of 3 (2 sons ages 9 and 11, and a 3 year old daughter), farmer's wife and breed/train service dogs for work with autistic children (my oldest son has autism) and disabled military veterans in my spare time. Since all of the active farmgirl chapters nearest me are at least a 3 hour drive one way, I love the idea of an online chapter with members s from all over.

Farm Families Forevermore
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2015 :  06:44:41 AM  Show Profile
Hay there Mz Rebecca,

We would love to add you to our VIRTUAL chapter. I will try to get your packet out in the next few days so look for a post about that. I will also be going thru our list and emailing our members to verify they received their packets.

Welcome.

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

modernpioneermama76
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Rebecca
Cavour South Dakota
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2015 :  07:21:12 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Mis Daisy! I'll be watching for that. Do you need mailing info or anything?

Go to Top of Page

modernpioneermama76
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Rebecca
Cavour South Dakota
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  2:37:29 PM  Show Profile
So, what are y'all up to, Poor House Farmgirls? I hope spring is actually here in South Dakota. I hung laundry on the clothesline today and my boys and I bought a few chicks to restart our laying flock Wednesday evening. My FarmerBoy1 chose 4 Buff Orpington pullets for his 4-H project and FarmerBoy2 picked out 4 Frizzled chickens (straight run)...these chickens will have feathers that stick out from their bodies. I chose a dozen Barred Rock pullets to round out the batch of chicks. Chicks are doing great, we only lost 1 chick. Tonight I am planning to make a dessert bakeover to go with supper...we'll see how that goes. Can't wait to get into the garden... maybe we will get lettuce, peas and potatoes planted before April.

Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1409 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1409 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  3:43:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rebecca!! I JUST finished spring cleaning my ENTIRE house!! It took all week - and I'm SO excited I'm done :D What a great feeling! Now I'm EXHAUSTED :)

We ordered 6 lavender orpingtons chicks - just waiting to hear when they hatched - and 10 columbia rock chicks as well. We already have 2 dexter cows that we got a couple of weeks ago. We also ordered to heritage breed turkeys and hope to get some indian runner ducks soon too! I'm thinking about my garden - I live in a very warm area in Canada (the warmest part) so we don't get much of winter. I've been hanging my laundry for about a month or more now :) I LOVE hanging my laundry. I will probably plant in May...maybe some in April! Some lettcus peas and potatoes in April sounds great - just like you Rebecca!! :D

How is everyone else doing??

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2015 :  07:20:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi Rebecca! We got all our seeds in last week, but we haven't started anything yet. We'll probably start some flats this week. We have an apple tree and a cherry tree waiting in our back room to plant as well. We were planning on chickens this year, but we don't have a place to put them yet. My husband doesn't seem to think this is a problem (he's more of a figure-it-out-as-you-go sort of guy :) but I'm not comfortable getting them until we know where they'll live! You girls with chickens can tell me... is that crazy or reasonable? Buff Orpingtons are exactly what I want though! Joyce how lucky you are to be able to hang your laundry already! It's just started getting a little more temperate here. I haven't started any spring cleaning yet, but I am itching for it. I'm going to need to revamp my laundry lines this year. What I have right now just isn't enough... I'll be able to do that pretty soon. I'm so happy that we're officially in spring!

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

Go to Top of Page

modernpioneermama76
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Rebecca
Cavour South Dakota
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2015 :  4:47:50 PM  Show Profile
Great to hear what you gals are up to. Chicks are doing well here, lost 2 of the Barred Rocks the other night when our power went out.(pout) I have to replace several fruit trees this spring. Our electric company ended up having to cut down our huge old pear tree, 2 mullberry trees and a couple ash trees about a month ago, because they were too close to the power lines and really large trees (pear tree was 40 or 50 years old probably.) Very sad to see it go, but at least I can plant new trees in a better location on the farm for watering and fencing them off from livestock and wildlife. We'll get a couple new pear trees and mullberry, plus some apricots, cherries, apples, quince, hazelnuts, other nut trees and some plums. Also want to put in some currants, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries and strawberries this year. (Can you tell that my mom and I can a lot of our own jam and jelly?) My oldest son is allergic to corn syrup, casein and gluten... middle kid finally outgrew his strawberry allergy... otherwise we'd have put in strawberries years ago. I have a few tomatoes,eggplants, celery, herbs started in the house... more of a science experiment for my homeschool kiddos than anything and a few will end up being Mother's day gifts for my mom and my brother's girlfriend. I grow a lot of celery, since it is so easy to dehydrate and so great in soups and stews in the winter. Last year we planted 18 tomatoes and at least a dozen peppers... some bells and some hot. We have 5 Jersey steers who will be processed in a couple month, our freezer, my parents freezer and two of my brothers. Hubby is looking for some bottle lambs (long as he and the kids take care of them... I am super allergic to lanolin... love spinning and knitting but would rather have a couple llamas.) He's trying to convince the boys to start a 4-H sheep project... meanwhile my 3 year old daughter is trying to talk Daddy into a pony. Looks like we will have a litter of Toy Aussie puppies about the end of May, our younger son's blue merle female is on her honeymoon right now with the male owned by a fellow Aussie breeder friend. Because our oldest son has autism, we breed and train Service Dogs for developmentally disabled children and disabled veterans... a lot of our clients like a smaller, more portable dog for public access.

Go to Top of Page

modernpioneermama76
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Rebecca
Cavour South Dakota
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2015 :  5:03:17 PM  Show Profile
Question:

How long does it usually take to get merit badges appreciated and posted on here? I submitted some and haven't heard anything and I don't see my name on the forum for that yet. I applied for the beginning ones in cake decorating, cheesemaking and farmer, which I had long ago fulfilled the requirements for.

Working on the Bakeover one... made a gluten free strawberry rhubarb one for my son last weekend... he was too impatient for the "over" upside down end of it... but it baked up great and he loved it (awesome since he hates the texture of most fruit and vegetables! When they won't eat them, I try to put it into a dessert... a whole can of pureed beets in the red velvet cake... that's how I roll.

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2015 :  05:51:41 AM  Show Profile
Hey Rebecca! For the merit badges it usually takes a couple weeks at least. You'll see it posted before too long. You sound like you have quite a lot going on over there! We only have a couple acres, and plans for some animals, but not too many. Sounds like you must have quite a bit more room to be able to have all of those animals! It sounds great! I started our flats yesterday. Cherry tomatoes, Amish paste, Cherokee Purple, Mortgage Lifter, and Italian Heirloom. Also broccoli, jalapenos, sweet bell, and hot peppers. Today I'll start my herbs. I have quite a few new ones I'm trying this year. One is white sage, and the instructions for planting this say that I have to start it in a fireproof pot and build a small fire around it and let it burn out. I was a little surprised by this. I guess it's normal though... lol.

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1409 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1409 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2015 :  07:41:27 AM  Show Profile
wow Erin! I have never heard of such instructions for white sage...I'm very interested in hearing how this goes :D Take pictures if you can!! It would be fun to see. I still haven't gotten my seeds yet - I've been so busy spring cleaning that I didn't have time to order them. I will need to do this on the weekend.

Sounds like your busy and having fun Rebecca :) So nice to hear how everyone is doing this spring!

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

modernpioneermama76
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Rebecca
Cavour South Dakota
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2015 :  5:52:01 PM  Show Profile
I've not heard of starting any plants that way either. That has got to be the most unique gardening tip that I have ever heard.
We have 7 1/2 acres here. At least an acre of it is woodland pasture, another 3 1/2 is just pastures. House and outbuildings a small orchard... or what's left of it and 1/2 acre garden comprises the rest. It's basically the homestead portion of 2 sections that were homesteaded by the previous owner's grandparents. We bought the place 10 years ago from a tiny little 86 year old Mennonite lady and her husband, named Anna and Edwin Wyld. Anna was the second oldest of 14 children and her grandparents settled the place. The couple had 1 son who was born prematurely and passed away and many miscarriages... They sort of adopted us as grandchildren when we bought the place. Her siblings had convinced them to move to town because Anna had Alzheimer's and they were afraid she'd wander off in a blizzard. Moved here with a 2 year-old and a newborn... now they are almost 12 and 10 and a baby sister has joined us. Our 3 1/3 year-old daughter is named after Mrs. Wyld. Edwin was a master gardener, a landscaping designer and a backyard orchard enthusiast... thus much of the existing infrastructure when we purchased the farm. On the other hand the 120 year-old two story barn is in such bad repair that we no longer let the kids of in it (and repairs would be impossible unless we hit it big in the lottery or something.) We've a small chicken coop (about 15 hens and a rooster could comfortably call it home.) A building that was 1/2 mechanical/wood shop and half dairy goat barn... which I used for that purpose for 7 years, before we sold the herd. Hubby put a loafing shed addition on it about 4 years ago for the goats and calves to stay out of bad weather. Edwin also had a building he had set up for small blacksmithing projects and general storage purposes. His mother-in-law's wood cookstove is still out there and I have been begging for that to get reinstalled in my dining room for years. The bunnies cages sit directly on top of my raised garden Ben's in the winter and then get moved to stands set up under shade trees for late spring and summer. Thus, the kids and I don't have to move so much bunny manure...It's right where we need it for the plants.
It's a tiny place compared to the 85 acre farm we sold in KS when we moved here for hubby's job... but plus side is no rattlesnakes and no sagebrush (major allergen for me). I guess it feels small to me in terms of livestock because I am no longer milking 10 to 20 mama goats, plus the babies goats and a couple bucks. And we aren't custom raising bottle lambs for a local sheep farmer with our goat milk... and now I'm only making soap and lotions as gifts for family and friends... where as 5 or 6 years ago, I was doing that as a business. That went south when the economy tanked and issues with the local school district required us to rearrange our priorities. I stuck it out with the bath products for 4 years( 2008 to 2012)...Probably a good year or better than I should have. In March 2013 we decided to bring the kids back home for their education and have been homeschooling ever since. I still miss several of my favorite goats... Wilma a 4year-old Toggenburg, Johnny (whom my son named after Johnny Depp) our herd buck, and Truffles an Alpine Toggenburg cross who was the granddaughter of one of my first does (Vienna) that we brought with us from Kansas. And our son's Sable doe Rosie. Hated selling them, but it was too much with a new baby and we were losing to much money on them. Originally got the goats to supply milk and dairy for my oldest boy, but by that point he had gotten to a point he was having issues with goats milk too.

Go to Top of Page

modernpioneermama76
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Rebecca
Cavour South Dakota
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2015 :  5:57:03 PM  Show Profile
We are trying to organize the farm so it produces as much food as possible, so we can be most self-reliant and less dependent on stores in town... in much the way the pioneers did. DeSmet, SD (where Laura Ingalls Wilder lived as a teenage and young wife) is just 40 miles east of us. Very inspiring!

Go to Top of Page

modernpioneermama76
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Rebecca
Cavour South Dakota
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2015 :  6:10:40 PM  Show Profile
I haven't order my seeds,plants and trees yet... but had some heirloom seeds from last year and before that I am using. Gotta buy some lumber this weekend for some new garden beds... raised beds equals last bending over to do the weeding. New beds will have potatoes, last year's potato beds will get corn, cucumbers, onions or garlic, beets, carrots or strawberries... of course strawberries become a permanent planting like rhubarb so ??? We decided not to plant cantaloupe and honeydew melon this year.

Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1409 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1409 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2015 :  6:42:38 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca - I loved reading all about your farm adventures :) We moved 1 1/2 years ago from PEI (Anne of Green Gables) to BC (Vancouver Island) and it's been quite an adjustment - 130 acres to 2 acres, but I'm thankful to have any farmland at all considering the price here of land :) I'm trying to plant enough food to can for the winter, and also raising beef/chickens/duck/turkey for our meat - and possibly pork as well. I do love being able to live off our land! My goal is to go to Costco once a month to stock up on things like toilet paper, and other than that live like the pioneers :) I LOVE Little House on the Prairie - I may need to come visit you and DeSmet sometime :)

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Poor House Farmgirl Chapter Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page