Author Family Matters: Previous Topic First day of school Next Topic  

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2014 :  06:50:53 AM  Show Profile
Wow, the summer is over and school is beginning here in our area.

My kids are grown and I don't really have any vested interest in school starting. But, it blesses my heart to see the neighborhood kids excited and bustling around.

Has y'all's school started?

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2014 :  2:55:32 PM  Show Profile
I volunteer at a nearby grade school. I am working with the same teacher I have for the last 2 years. She is teaching first grade this year. There are 27 students and the cast of characters is typical: the over-sensitive girl, the funny-talking boy, the two very well adjusted kids and everyone else in between. I believe it will be a good year.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2014 :  3:12:34 PM  Show Profile
Our schools start on Tuesday, right after Labor Day. As a retired teacher I can say that the start of school was been a major part of my life for 57 of my 65 years, as a student, college student and teacher for 35 years. I still love the back-to-school sales, and stock up on notebooks, folders and odds and ends for the coming year.

But even with the back-to-school sales a lot of families have a hard time scraping together money for all that is needed. For the last two years I've had the privilege of working with a community group that collects money and supplies to help out. Last week I got to help hand out supplies to over 700 children from low income families, so each could be supplied with a backpack, notebooks, pens, pencils, etc, so they were ready for the new year. One touching scene was a girl who will be starting kindergarten. She tried on the new pink backpack and felt like a princess dancing around the room.

Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2014 :  6:29:47 PM  Show Profile
Yes, our school started Aug.13th! So we are already in the swing if things, so to speak. I think its a shame school starts so early anymore. Let the kids have their fun while they can!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

auntjenny
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Jenny
San Luis Obispo CA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2014 :  7:36:38 PM  Show Profile  Send auntjenny a Yahoo! Message
My last two at home both started their senior year today. I have to say Yay! Lets get this year going!

Inside me there is a skinny girl crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2014 :  5:14:58 PM  Show Profile
Boy, I don't miss the back to school nerves that always hit my kids.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2014 :  7:49:07 PM  Show Profile
we will start next Tuesday. I'm pregnant again, so this will be a interesting year. lol Hoping it will go fast, and I can rest. lol I'll probably have my oldest do most her math on her own, and we will read together... and I don't know about the rest... right now I'm going through the super sleepy first trimester.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2014 :  04:53:48 AM  Show Profile
Heather - congratulations! Do you home school?

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2014 :  08:40:21 AM  Show Profile
Yes we homeschool Shannon. ;)

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4727 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4727 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2014 :  09:08:15 AM  Show Profile
We have one week of school behind us already. So far, so good. My son is under the autism spectrum, high performance level. So school and life itself is always a adventure. He seems to be happy in 5th grade and I pray all the behavioral and occupational therapy he has been getting the past 2 years is going to help him a lot. This is the age where the kids really become status conscious and I am hoping he matured enough to handle it.

Good luck to all the families who are back to school! I hope everyone has a successful and fun year!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2014 :  10:17:29 AM  Show Profile
My youngest daughter starts her Senior year of high school, we start on 9-2-14. She is so excited and me...not so much!!! But it is fun to see the children getting ready and so excited for school!!

I love this time of the year!!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2014 :  7:40:15 PM  Show Profile
I homeschooled my two after 4 and 5th grades. Both are now grown with children of their own. Right now I am helping homeschool the youngest two grandkids (one from each kid). Started last year teaching them sign language. They retain so much at this age (both are 4 together till November). Brings back fun memories.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2014 :  8:17:53 PM  Show Profile
I wouldn't trade it for the world Betty, it's a ball! Truly!

Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic First day of school Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page