Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 What herb/oil can you not do without?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic What herb/oil can you not do without? Next Topic
Page: of 2

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2014 :  7:45:27 PM  Show Profile
I dabble a bit with the nutritional, physical and emotional benefits of herbs and essential oils. But, I'm not an expert and don't even know a fraction of what most you farmgirls know.

The essential oil I cannot do without is Lavender.

I'm like the 'Pavlovian Dog' with it. I put a few drops in my palm and rub it on my arms and neck, breathe it in deeply and instantly something clicks in my brain and I'm able to start relaxing to go to sleep.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2014 :  8:24:43 PM  Show Profile
I use garlic in most vegetable or meat dishes and in sauces.

I use fresh sage, ground cumin, garlic & cayenne pepper several times a week in heirloom beans. No matter which beans I'm cooking I use my basic four go to herbs. I consider cayenne pepper an herb because of its medicinal properties, but I really know they're not.

I use rosemary & tea tree essential oils for healing.

I'm experimenting with lavender, orange, and lemon essential oils in aroma therapy; olive oils & vinegars. .

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2014 :  10:22:40 AM  Show Profile
My go to oils are lavender and peppermint. So good for so many uses! I have amassed (sp?) a pretty good collection so far. I actually look forward to getting more oils. It's like Christmas!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2014 :  9:10:32 PM  Show Profile
My favorite herb is marjoram. I put it into my scrambled eggs. It adds a nice flavor to them.

My favorite essential oil is a 50/50 mixture of beramot and vetiver. I got the idea for the blend when I listened closely to the REM song Find the River (my favorite song). It is somewhat like a grassy perfume. Bergamot oil is used to flavor Earl Grey tea.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2014 :  7:59:10 PM  Show Profile
To eat.....garlic. Oils for health Thieves oil by Young Living. Can't live without them.
Go to Top of Page

Catherine
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Catherine Ann
Temple TX
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2014 :  2:35:06 PM  Show Profile
Lavender essential oil, most definitely!
Followed closely by Geranium :) .

www.lovecatherineann.com
Farmgirl Sister #1801

Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2014 :  10:39:41 AM  Show Profile
Lately, I've been on a citrus kick for the kitchen and living room. I find a quick spritz of either lemon or orange essential oils gives a refreshing feeling to the rooms.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

teryouth54
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Terry
Bark River MI
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  2:00:59 PM  Show Profile
The oil I can't live without is coconut oil. It can be used in so many ways! For essential oil, my favorite on is still lavender!It is so relaxing for me. But peppermint and tea tree are used in so many things too. My favorite herbal remedy by far is elderberry tincture, which I make myself. It's good for viruses & other things. My grown children & grandgirls love what they have dubbed "magic slave", which is comfrey & goldenseal mixed with Vitamin E olive oil, and beeswax. It works on everything, including the paws & kitties tails.
Go to Top of Page

teryouth54
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Terry
Bark River MI
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  2:04:02 PM  Show Profile
The oil I can't live without is coconut oil. It can be used in so many ways! For essential oil, my favorite one is still lavender!It is so relaxing for me. But peppermint and tea tree are used in so many things too. My favorite herbal remedy by far is elderberry tincture, which I make myself. It's good for viruses & other things. My grown children & grandgirls love what they have dubbed "magic slave", which is comfrey & goldenseal mixed with Vitamin E, olive oil, and beeswax. It works on everything, including the doggies paws & kitties tails.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  6:09:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Terry! I see you have 8 posts...so, WELCOME to the forum.

I use coconut oil, too. Besides cooking with it, I like spreading it on hot toast like butter. Oh my, so scrumptious.

With the cold and flu circulating through my family, I've been going through bunches of tea tree oil and mullein oil.

Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  06:20:36 AM  Show Profile
I simply cannot live without Doterra's Breathe! It's like a happy drug for me.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  10:38:58 AM  Show Profile
Coconut oil, chamomile, ginger and garlic. Hands down. :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2014 :  06:54:19 AM  Show Profile
For me Clary Sage is my saving grace for hot flashes. I put it between my toes and behind my knee caps, what a difference. It has really made a true believer in oils and the real help they give. Hugs Karla
Go to Top of Page

GinnyM
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Virginia
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2015 :  8:27:53 PM  Show Profile
It is Lavender for me too! I have a body lotion with Tea Tree Oil and I added some Lavender oil to it. It heals my dry hands, and legs, and any scratches, or razor cuts!
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2015 :  06:22:24 AM  Show Profile
Rosemary is probably my favorite for both beauty/health non-edible stuff, but also for cooking. As an aside, Trader Joe's has Marcona almonds with rosemary and sea salt - yum. Also for cooking, I consider garlic to be a food group - no vampires around our house!

For mood-related things, with rosemary being number one, I then keep several essential oils on hand to bend into whatever I feel like at the moment. My top few include:
-Lavender
-Grapefruit
-Geranium
-Tangerine
-Bergamot

It is amazing what just the right scent can do to one's mood, isn't it?
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13556 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13556 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2015 :  8:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Garlic
Olive oil

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  09:22:09 AM  Show Profile
I read somewhere on one of these threads about using an essential oil for skin tag removal - which was it?

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

alaskagirlnow2011
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Holly
Blackfoot ID
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2015 :  7:49:03 PM  Show Profile
Right now I am using lemon grass twice a day on my knee. It helps a lot with the pain. It works on tendon and ligament issues and gets me through the day.
Go to Top of Page

colette10
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Colette
Santa Rosa CA
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2015 :  7:35:42 PM  Show Profile
I seem to be drawn to
frankincense and Clary Sage
the ground me and sharpen my senses
:D

Colette farm girl 1630
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2015 :  8:28:52 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn, I'm not sure where the post is/was about skin tag removal. I did a search through the posts and didn't come up with anything. Sorry!

Hi Holly and Colette! Welcome to the 'farm'.

Lately, in the evenings, I've been putting drops of Frontier's Tranquility EO into about 1 T of magnesium oil and using that as my night lotion. Oh my goodness it smells wonderful!

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2015 :  9:39:55 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn - I think it was basil oil. I just ordered some to try. I'll let you know how it works out! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

www.papercraftingwithnini.ctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2015 :  5:33:22 PM  Show Profile
Texas cedarwood oil. It helps clear the aura and keeps away negative influences. And I like the smell.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2015 :  7:57:06 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn - I think I found what you are looking for... and it was oregano oil, not basil oil... 'sorry about that! And another sister used tea tree oil... Hope this helps!

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=65767

Kelly also posted about it here: maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=64703

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

www.papercraftingwithnini.ctmh.com

Edited by - Ninibini on Nov 08 2015 7:57:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2015 :  05:55:26 AM  Show Profile
Nini, Yes! Tea Tree Oil is a definite top contender. I use it in my homemade soaps,laundry liquid, cleaning spray, and toothpaste. I keep some at the farmyard for the animals for ringworm and other fungus related wounds.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

sauceygirl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Joanie
Torrance California
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2015 :  3:15:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies. I really like basil. I use it both fresh and dried and I put it in everything. Also, rosemary is a favorite. When I'm in the garden, I grab a few leaves and inhale the aroma. I put them in little mesh bags and put them in the car, the closet, my underwear drawer. As for the oils, I've been getting into herb infused olive oils. I haven't made any myself, yet, perhaps someday, but I found a little store that sells all kinds of infused olive oils and balsamic vinegars. I use them for all my cooking.

Joanie #6596 Trying to live a quiet, simple life in the big city.
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2015 :  12:04:34 AM  Show Profile
I had thought I had posted on this post, but maybe not...or at least not this year, lol... I LOVE oils and herbs... Here is my(lengthy) list...
Cooking oils: olive oil, coconut oil
Cooking herbs: garlic, basil
Medicinal oils: garlic oil, coconut oil, and essential oils especially Young Living tea tree oil, lavender, peace and calming, purification, thieves, DiGize
Medicinal herbs: yarrow, activated charcoal, slippery elm bark, arnica, garlic, echinacea, comfrey, lavender, plantain, eucalyptus

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic What herb/oil can you not do without? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page