Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2014 :  4:42:32 PM  Show Profile
This year I used heirloom seeds and planted a variety of stuff. I"m sharing the photos taken today of what the veggies look like. I know I'll be pickling some green tomatoes. We've eaten tons of ripe ones. Will also be making some tomato basil jam. I just love how the garden came out and how great everything tastes. How have the rest of you done?

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com

Catherine
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Catherine Ann
Temple TX
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2014 :  2:42:07 PM  Show Profile
My garden did not do well, due to a lack of rain and a huge lack of work on my part.
I harvested a fair amount of tomatoes, a few squash, green beans and cucumbers early in the season, and once the heat of summer kicked in, not much else.

Fall gardening is my favorite, and I am planning to re-design and replant later this week. I'm looking forward to broccoli, chard, kale and the like :) .
Tomato Basil Jam sounds very interesting ... I'd love a recipe!

www.lovecatherineann.com
http://stillroomherbs.blogspot.com
Farmgirl Sister #1801

Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4719 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4719 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2014 :  3:15:54 PM  Show Profile
Sylvia your garden is beautiful! I bought non-gmo organic vegetables for my garden. I feel much better eating food that hasn't been tainted by Monsanto!

Good luck with your fall garden Catherine!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2014 :  10:04:09 AM  Show Profile
Sylvia, the pics are wonderful. I wanna take a juicy bite of that tomato in the first pic.

Catherine, first, we have the same name and same spelling. Second, we're both in Texas. How ya' doin' Sista? I'm looking forward to Fall gardening, too.

Dawn, I'm with ya'...Don't want no Monsanto! I started telling my family and friends as far back as 1989 about their practices. They all thought I was crazy. Today, they see I was right. But, I'm not gloating...maybe a little. :)

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2014 :  2:29:53 PM  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Catherine

My garden did not do well, due to a lack of rain and a huge lack of work on my part.
I harvested a fair amount of tomatoes, a few squash, green beans and cucumbers early in the season, and once the heat of summer kicked in, not much else.

Fall gardening is my favorite, and I am planning to re-design and replant later this week. I'm looking forward to broccoli, chard, kale and the like :) .
Tomato Basil Jam sounds very interesting ... I'd love a recipe!

Here's the recipe: I'm using regular basil this year
Tomato Pineapple Basil Jam

2 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, peeled (diced to measure 3 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup lemon juice (I used 1/2 cup bottled lemon juice)
3 T. snipped fresh basil (I used pineapple basil)
3 cups sugar
Powdered pectin for lower sugar recipes (Ball low sugar/no sugar 3T. of flex batch) (Pomona Pectin 3 t. pectin 3 t. calcium water)

Seed, core and finely chop tomatoes. Measure 3 1/2 cups tomatoes and add to stainless steel saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered for 10 minutes, stirring often. Stir in lemon juice and basil.  Add sugar and return bring to a  boil, stirring often. Add the pectin and return to a full rolling boil for one minute. Remove from heat and quickly skim off foam.

Ladle hot jam into hot sterilized half pint jars, leaving a 1/4 headspace. Wipe jar rims, add lids and rings. Process in water bath for 10 minutes at a full boil. Makes 5 half pint jars.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Go to Top of Page

Catherine
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Catherine Ann
Temple TX
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2014 :  12:35:15 PM  Show Profile
Sylvia,
Thank you so much for the recipe!

Catherine,
Hello there, fun to meet a fellow Texas farmgirl with 'my name' LOL!

Blessings,
Catherine

www.lovecatherineann.com
http://stillroomherbs.blogspot.com
Farmgirl Sister #1801

Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

Country Yankee Gal
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Rosemarie
Charleston area South Carolina
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2014 :  09:57:50 AM  Show Profile
Your tomatoes look beautiful! My mouth is watering! I live in South Carolina, and our summer was brutal this year! Temperatures above 90 degrees most days, weeks without rain then lots of rain then weeks without rain. My garden did not do as well as last year - at least, not so far. I got a good bit of tomatoes before the end of July, then nothing. I'll be pulling out the plants this weekend to make room for fall crops. My peppers are hanging on, so I'm hoping I'll get some more big harvests from them now that the weather is cooling a little bit. Pumpkins still going strong (squash vines died), second crop of string beans starting to flower, lima beans still flowering/producing, eggplants hanging in there. My raspberries are ripening, too. I'll be planting fall crops this weekend: lettuces, kale, brussels sprouts, carrots, beets, turnips, mustard greens, radishes, escarole. Next month: spinach, onions, and garlic. First frost isn't until the week before Thanksgiving here, so there's still time to get some more produce put up - I hope!

Rosemarie
~ Planting Yankee roots in Southern soil

www.sanctuarygardener.com
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2014 :  9:28:29 PM  Show Profile
We can have frost in October. Just planting kale and spinach. Thankful for it!

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://etsy.com/shop/ThymeVintage
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic How my garden grows Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page