Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Where were you 13 years ago today?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Where were you 13 years ago today? Next Topic  

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3309 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3309 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2014 :  11:59:49 AM  Show Profile

September 11th 2001---------I had just taken my daughter to school and turned on the morning news while I prepared breakfast for my son, Elliott. I watched in horror as the 2nd tower was hit. It was strange because the whole time I was thinking there must be a glitch at the airport radio tower-My father a retired Air Force veteran worked in radio towers on several air bases when I was growing up-but then it hit me when the news came on and said there was an explosion at the Pentagon and that's when I realized we were being attacked.

Where were you on September 11, 2001-13 years ago today?

Melody

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2014 :  12:35:47 PM  Show Profile

I was at work...had the TV on...worked in a preschool classroom at that time...however...the children didn't have to attend school that day...my friend called and said to me..."Do you know what is happening in our world right now...turn your TV to CNN...just as the TV went to CNN...immediately the plane went right into the towers...I think that will forever be branded in my mind...It was like the world stopped turning at that moment...
Every time I hear Alan Jackson sing Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning...tears come to my eyes...definitely a day I don't think I will ever forget...

Hugs!

~Judy~

"Autumn~The year's last, loveliest smile."

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4727 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4727 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2014 :  12:41:28 PM  Show Profile
We had the TV on at work too. My husband came from NY and we were worried about any relatives who may have been in one of the two towers. Sadly my husband's cousin, Daria, was killed there. She was only 28 years old and had traveled to NYC from Chicago for a conference. Her parents fell to pieces losing their only child. Family members have been posting baby pictures and other ones of Daria on Facebook today. It is heartbreaking to know such a vibrant young woman was killed along with so many others.

Prayers to all who suffered such loss that fateful day.
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2014 :  1:01:01 PM  Show Profile
I was in Chemistry lab, at college. It wasn't until I was headed home that my hubby (then fiance), called and told me what was going on, that I knew anything. It amazes me how that time is ingrained in people's heads... Praying for our country!!!!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2014 :  2:41:36 PM  Show Profile
I had taken my daughter to preschool- went home and watched the news for a bit before work. I saw the first plane hit and thought "Oh my the plane was defective" I was in total denial that it could have been terrorists. Indeed...Praying for our country!!

Lori

God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy and undying love.

We are here to love each other, serve each other and uplift each other.
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2014 :  4:28:37 PM  Show Profile
I was getting ready for work and had Good Morning America on. They were showing pictures of the first plane
hitting the first tower and I remember first thinking this was just a plane gone horribly off coarse...until
all of a sudden a second plane hit the other tower and then I knew we were under attack. At that moment none
of us knew about the third and fourth planes heading for the Pentagon and Washington DC. Then as I stood
there watching the first building implode in on it's self and then the second one do the same thing...and then
we hear of the other two planes...it was just gut wrenching. I went on to The Christian Book Store at the Mall
where I managed but Thankfully by 10:30 am they decided to close the Mall that Day. Everyone just walked around
like Zombies anyway...we were all so numb. America was actually attacked on her own soil. Unbelievable!

Hugs and Prayers,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13586 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13586 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2014 :  4:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I was at work in the counseling office of our local middle school, just getting ready for our office team meeting. The TV was on in the administrative office and one of our counselors came back to our office to say that the 2nd tower had been hit . . "what is going on". There was a TV in my office so we turned it on to find out more.
Horrific!!!! And we had to help a whole lot of middle school students try to grasp it!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2014 :  5:15:35 PM  Show Profile
I was on the way to work. I remember that everybody was in shock that such attacks happened against our neighbours to the south.

Farmgirl Sister #3759

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

auntjenny
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Jenny
San Luis Obispo CA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2014 :  5:18:39 PM  Show Profile  Send auntjenny a Yahoo! Message
Was at home getting ready to send the kids off to school and start my daycare day. Had the news on while making breakfast . I even remember that i was making pancakes. Horrible. We stood stunned watching the tv.

Inside me there is a skinny girl crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2014 :  5:24:08 PM  Show Profile
I hardly ever turn the TV on when I'm home alone so I didn't find out till I drove to my parents' house. They said it was worse than Pearl Harbor. I remember wondering where my SIL was since she traveled a lot and had meetings in the WTC. Turns out she was ten miles away, in New Jersey. She was at the airport when one of the planes left. I felt shaky and my supervisor told me to go home early the next day.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2014 :  5:25:29 PM  Show Profile
I was already outside starting my day, and the phone started ringing, and by the time I could double back to the barn to answer it, it had stopped, just as I started back out again, it ranf again, answered it, it was a friend asking me where was my daughter, I said she was probally drinking a cup of coffeee, WHY???...turn on your TV, and call me back, I walked to the house and turned it on, and sank to the floor in shock as I watched what was going on, I called my friend back and then she said, this is why I asked where she was, (my daughter and her best friend were in New York , and had just gotten home the day before this happened, her friend was there to apply for a job in the 1st tower, they both had been on the 97th floor 3 days to the minuete prior to this attack, all I could do was cry that all these people were going thru hell on earth, and cry some more that my daughter was home and safe...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2014 :  5:52:17 PM  Show Profile

Tina...I cannot even imagine how you must have felt...thank God your daughter made it home safe...

Hugs!

~Judy~

"Autumn~The year's last, loveliest smile."

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3021 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3021 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2014 :  6:45:22 PM  Show Profile
I was a Senior in college but commuted an hour each way. I drove to my first class and heard nothing on the radio. The professor came in and said "since you're all here we'll have a short class". No one knew what was going on. After that class we all gathered around TV's on campus. After the first 3 classes that all had the same "since you're all hear we'll have a shortened class" they cancelled classes for the rest of the day. I remember driving home wondering what else was coming. We have a tank plant and an oil refinery less than 15 minutes from our house. I wondered if things like that would be places to get attacked. I also remember that my husband (fiancé at the time) was very upset that his parents went out to eat with another couple (their close friends). He thought in times like that families should be home together. It's amazing that it's been 13 years and we can all still remember the day as though it was yesterday.

Tina - what a story! So glad your daughter made it home safe.
Dawn - sorry to hear of your loss in the towers.

Praying for all who lost someone.

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Ruby V
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Ruby
Chilliwack BC
Canada
220 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2014 :  10:56:13 PM  Show Profile
I was up in Canada. I got up, checked my email and had one from my sister saying - Turn on the TV plane crashed into building. I was glued to the tv all day (and many following days). It was a very odd feeling that day, to realize that the borders were closed and that I could not return to the USA. Although, I have to admit I did feel slightly safer in Canada that day.

Ruby ~ Sister #3597
Go to Top of Page

AFinkberry
True Blue Farmgirl

310 Posts

Ally
Kalama Washington
310 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2014 :  6:31:35 PM  Show Profile
Senior year of High School, usual morning routine and my mom called me into her room to watch the news. We both watched as the second plane hit and then the collapse. And then I had to race to my friends house so that I didn't miss our ride to school! How surreal it felt to watch that and then have to just go on with daily life. We lived in a Nuclear Plant town and I remember all of the adults and teachers talking about evacuating and how everywhere was on "lock down." And then the influx of boys signing up for the military after graduation. It's very strange to think that the world I grew up in is so different from the world my children are growing up in.

Ally
Farmgirl Sister #5672

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." ~His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17074 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17074 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2014 :  10:22:58 PM  Show Profile
I was called into work, to report to Logistics in EOC... simple language, I was called to report to the Emergency Operations Center and assigned to work with the Logistics team,, to secure & distribute what ever supplies etc., needed should there be more Bombings/etc.
We worked 12hour shifts.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2014 :  12:48:26 PM  Show Profile
I was a flight attendant based in Philadelphia. I can't even begin to describe the reaction in the crew rooms and the next few months at work.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Where were you 13 years ago today? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page