GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1412 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1412 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2014 :  8:13:09 PM  Show Profile
I'm looking for some new magazines to read - and I'd love to hear of your favourite magazine. I loved Create & Decorate...and subscribed right before they went bankrupt (I only got one issue) so I lost money there, but more sadly, I loved the projects and will miss the magazine. I, of course, already subscribe to Mary Jane's Magazine - but I'd love to hear what other farm gals out there love to read/subscribe to.

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2014 :  04:25:15 AM  Show Profile
Yep, MJ's magazine is in the top of my list. It's hard for me to choose just one.

Some others that I purchase on a regular basis are Hobby Farms and Hobby Farms Home. I like those because the topics can be applied to backyard mini farms as well as larger small business farms. They also approach topics like self-sustaining living.

Depending on what the articles are on the cover, I'll sometimes buy Mother Earth News.

I could spend hundreds of dollars on magazines if I bought all the ones I want....quilting, cross-stitching, scrapbooking, water color, crafting.... Oh,my the list goes on and on.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2014 :  05:09:35 AM  Show Profile
MJF for sure. I really like & use The Herb Quarterly.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2014 :  06:13:33 AM  Show Profile
MJF is the only magazine that I subscribe to currently, but I recently saw a faerie magazine on facebook that I really have been considering. I think it's actually called Faerie Magazine. It's quarterly, and kind of pricey, but I love fairies there are really beautiful pictures in it, and interesting little whimsical things.

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

~ Joyeux Noel! ~

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2014 :  06:15:44 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for reading my magazine! Every subscription makes a difference to us.

My favorite "magazine" is The New York Times Book Review (that you can subscribe to separately from the newspaper). I've subscribed for as long as I can remember. It's like a Reader's Digest book review. The reviews are lengthy to the point where sometimes I feel like I've read the book being reviewed! It's a great way to keep up on new books coming out and also their ratings. Then, I can buy the book if the synopsis appeals to me. Our kids gave my husband a Kindle for Christmas and he's enjoying it for reading. I'm still stuck on actual books.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2014 :  06:34:42 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
I also love holding a book, I have read a few books on my kindle but it just isn't the same!

Roxanna Farmgirl# 3963
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13575 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13575 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2014 :  7:40:32 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I currently only subscribe to Mary Janes Farm magazine and it is my favorite. I have enjoyed Sunset, Scottish Life and Ireland of the Welcomes, but due to financial considerations have to let them go . . :(
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2014 :  05:41:36 AM  Show Profile
I have been subscribing to MJF since its inception and I love love love it. Other mags that we enjoy are Mother Earth News, Hobby Farms Home and Backwoods Home. Hunky Hubby gets some gold prospecting magazine and a snow machining mag. Also we get church publications. My only frustration is that I never have time to read all of them.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2014 :  06:31:55 AM  Show Profile
Anyone know any sites with discount prices for mags right now? I would love to do the Backwoods home and others, but I am cheap,and looking for goos prices. I do pickup MJ at our grocery store. I have to say it is one of my all time favorites. Right up there with Mother Earth News.
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2014 :  2:59:41 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jane's magazine is my most favorite. Love, Love, Love it. Also, Capper's is another good one. I like Hobby Farm Home also.

Farm Girl Hugs, Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2014 :  3:39:04 PM  Show Profile
Besides reading MJF...My favorite is Daphne's Diary. You can get it at Barnes and Noble or order it from
Unique Magazines.

Blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2014 :  2:40:10 PM  Show Profile
In addition to MaryJane's I enjoy Victoria (pre-1999). I have been considering Herb Companion as I want to educate myself and incorporate more herbs in our garden.

Brenda, I was also considering Capper's :)

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2015 :  4:47:43 PM  Show Profile
I have two favorites. MJF, of course. (currently off the newstand. However, plan to renew after replenishing my debit card) Other favorite is Piecework. Just received my last issue of that one too. rats!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17044 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17044 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2015 :  9:33:30 PM  Show Profile
I have been a subscriber to Victoria since the late 1980's, MJF mag is my farmgirl connection and Cowboys & Indians...
I don't do the "Ad-Mags" the ones that have 3/4 pages in ads and 1/4 in actual articles... I don't need to be 'told' what I should look like, buy or Think....

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2015 :  02:39:46 AM  Show Profile
I just saw a new magazine that caught my interest - Mother Earth Living. I haven't been able to read it, but thought I would pass along the news.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17044 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17044 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2015 :  2:06:33 PM  Show Profile
It is a good one, Marianne, unfortunately it comes out every other month, and like a dummy, I let my subscription expire...
It has great recipes and information..
My last issue, Nov/Dec had a great article on Honey, pg 50-55
MEL also has a great 'Natural Remedies' section.
Enjoy

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2015 :  2:27:06 PM  Show Profile
Of course Mary Jane's Farm is a given it is so beautifully done. Not another like it.. But I do adore magazines.I think I'm an addict lol.I like Mother Earth also, Countryside, I loved Hobby Farm Home, but, it is no longer published, I miss that one. I like Country Sampler, A Primitive Place, it is beautiful, but, pricey. $9.99 for an issue. It is published I believe bi-monthly. I have kept a lot of the issues and reread them.

Mary Jane

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  7:55:15 PM  Show Profile
My dear husband always buys me a yearly subscription to Goat Rancher and I love South Dakota Magazine (www.southdakotamagazine.com) - it celebrates small town living and small town people.

Penny
www.444Farm.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2015 :  10:27:31 PM  Show Profile
I used to subscribe to several magazines but sometimes they would arrive torn up. Now I buy MJF at Tractor supply as well as herb Quarterly. I subscribe to Poets & Writers cause it's hard to find at the bookstore and I like Yoga Journal. I also sometimes pick up pricey English import magazines on yoga, spirituality, etc. I kind of like Mother Earth Living but it's still new so I'm not sure. And recently I've been buying an issue of the Vegetarian Times since I've pretty much given up meat. (Well, I'm 95% vegetarian).
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
Schoolmarm

1412 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
1412 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2015 :  08:06:47 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Cindy and Penny! South Dakota Magazine sounds interesting!

Joyce Hein
Farmgirl Sister #6071
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2015 :  2:08:22 PM  Show Profile
I read MJF, Countryside and Small stock, Mother Earth News, and The New Pioneer. I love them all. I used to subscribe to Create and Decorate, did not know they went out of business. Hobby Farm Home went out also and it was a really good magazine.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2015 :  10:11:12 PM  Show Profile
Magazines-my true addiction. This year I have promised myself that I will not buy any and will read or retread the ones I have (or barter if I have to-).
I love MJF, Willow and Sage, Daphne's Diary and Mollie Makes. I also have loved Readers Digest and Guideposts for a very long time. I read Oprah, Martha Steward Living, Real Simple when I can get them at the library. I read Mother Earth Living, Cappers and Hobby Farm. I know there's more but I can't remember them all. I read every day. I love to read more than anything else but my family and faith. I don't spend money on anything else except maybe crafts. I read books too but LOVE magazines!

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Farmgirl #5554
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2015 :  01:25:52 AM  Show Profile
Joey...I have just discovered Willow and Sage and really like that Magazine too. I like Mollie Makers too and so
does my Youngest DIL...so I pass those on to her.

Magazines are something I take for a year and then try something else the next year or I just buy them off the
shelf. Daphne's Diary I order from Unique Magazine.

I love a good magazine but only save Daphne's Diary at the moment. Everything else I pass on to others.

Hugs and Blessings,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2015 :  09:13:44 AM  Show Profile
Of course MJF is on the top of my list. Another one I love is called Seeing the Everyday. It just goes perfectly with a cup of tea.

I get Mother Earth every once in a while if it is something that appeals to me. We don't live on acreage and hubby isn't as, well, into that stuff as I am so I buy it only if it's going to help me as a resource.

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley
www.joyfulandsimple.wordpress.com

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Your favourite magazine Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page