YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2015 :  12:09:17 PM  Show Profile
I like what I see outside my kitchen window. I often just stop, and look out, and marvel at the view I see. Tall trees as far as I can see with open spaces that tells me it's someone's backyard. I don't know these people, but we share a common - what's the word I'm looking for - community no that's not quite it - habitat - now that's closer. Squeezed in between two city streets are backyards teeming with life.

Today out that window I saw a blue jay swoop down and fly off with an un-shelled peanut. I know there are blue jays around but I seldom see one. I like blue jays - I like birds that projects their young.

From time to time I catch a glimpse of my favorite bird, the mockingbird. I have a long time appreciation for these song birds. Years ago I was privileged to witness a mockingbird actually mocking a cardinal. I watched the cardinal as it sung his song on a highline wire - he flew off - and a mockingbird took it's place and sang the same song.

I always think of seeing things in nature as little miracles. Like seeing the mockingbird singing the cardinal's song I had to be there at that exact moment, and most important I had to be alert to what was happening around me to be apart of such a special event.

I know that all of you have stories of what you see outside your kitchen window - I so want to hear them.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13568 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13568 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2015 :  2:20:32 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message

These mountains are what I see out my kitchen window. This is an older picture and right now there is more snow on them.

This is the Colorado Blue Spruce that is closer to the house, at the end of our drive and also seen from my kitchen window. I call it our "Miracle Tree". It was only about 18 inches tall 20 years ago when we lost our house in a fire in July 1994 which burned on the east, north and west of our house, as the fire started in the yard. This little tree was in the shade of another tree and was burned. We didn't know the extent of the damage to any of our trees so we let them all be until the next year. My hubby could see there was still life in this little spruce tree, so he trimmed all the damaged branches off making it rather misshapen.

Now, 20 years later it stands, glorious, spectacular, perfectly shaped (never had any further trimming or shaping), over 20 feet tall at the end of our drive. It is a reminder of our God, our Creator, His Power and Majesty, Love and Glory . . . and who we are IN HIM!!!! We learned many things about our God of Miracles as a result of that fire! I see that tree EVERY morning and every time I go out in the yard or drive out the driveway!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2015 :  2:28:01 PM  Show Profile
CeeJay, what a testament to a miracle your beautiful spruce is. I know it fills you with joy every time you see it. Your view of the snow capped mountains is gorgeous. Never lived with mountains - only rolling hills which I do miss since I moved. But I now have trees so it's all a trade off and I am happy with what I have.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2015 :  12:15:57 AM  Show Profile
Sara, your view sounds wonderful! Yes nature is filled with so many miracles. Usually when I look out my kitchen window I see my dogs playing together, occasionally the finches in our Aspen tree chattering away.

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2015 :  04:19:18 AM  Show Profile
CJ I love your story about your miracle spruce! How lovely. When we first moved into our house, one of the things that really bothered me, more than I thought it would before moving in, was that our kitchen sink does not have a window over it. It faces the interior of the house, and there's just a wall. I put up a little wire with birds on either end that hold pictures of my family, and a picture of the beach at South Haven MI, which is our favorite place ever. I do have windows in the back of my kitchen, and through them I can see spectacular sunsets! Especially in the winter time :) My husband often tries to take pictures of them, but rarely do the photographs do them justice (no fault of his). So though I do miss having an over the sink window, it's a pretty good trade off!

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"It is... through the world of the imagination which takes us beyond the restrictions of provable fact, that we touch the hem of truth." - Madeleine L'Engle

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2015 :  07:40:37 AM  Show Profile
Here's how things look in early spring from my kitchen window. I dearly wish the window could be larger! Little old farmhouse tend to have smallish windows, though. Someday, I'd like to replace it with one of those greenhouse windows. I'd have potted herb plants in it for cooking.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2015 :  04:24:23 AM  Show Profile
Sharon, watching your dogs play and the occasionally finch is what kitchen windows are all about. Here in Texas we have a member of the finch family - the scissor tail finch. The name comes from their long split tail that reminds one of scissors.

Erin, I know what you mean about things being a trade off. You have your beautiful views of sunsets, but no window over the sink. Here I like my kitchen window, but I do miss the beautiful sunsets across rolling hills from my old home. I really like what you have done with your family photos and picture of your favorite vacation place over your sink.

Rosemary, your view out your window is so peaceful and beautiful. You must see a lot of action around the birdbath.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2015 :  10:35:53 PM  Show Profile

The other day I opened the blinds in my kitchen window and looked out to see this reflection. It took me a moment to figure out what I was seeing, basically a reflection of our glass paned front door that was being refracted around the corner from the living room entrance and projected through the kitchen window to the backyard view. I quick grabbed my camera and took a long shot and a close up. It reminded me that although many of us cannot see angels watching over us, this could be what it might be like if we could see them. And I won't ever underestimate the power of crystal reflections to travel the path of light.
Window watching is great fun!
Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2015 :  10:38:00 PM  Show Profile

The other day I opened the blinds in my kitchen window and looked out to see this reflection. It took me a moment to figure out what I was seeing, basically a reflection of our glass paned front door that was being refracted around the corner from the living room entrance and projected through the kitchen window to the backyard view. I quick grabbed my camera and took a long shot and a close up. It reminded me that although many of us cannot see angels watching over us, this could be what it might be like if we could see them. And I won't ever underestimate the power of crystal reflections to travel the path of light.
Window watching is great fun!
Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2015 :  12:46:52 AM  Show Profile
Annie, what a wonderful thing to witness. So glad you caught it on camera and shared it with us.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2015 :  9:44:41 PM  Show Profile
sometimes stopping for a moment, catching our breath and taking in the beauty around us restores our souls...
and sometimes we have to stop and create that beauty... even if it is just a simple salt shaker and a yellow mum...

this was my morning dose of sunshine... it restorest my soul...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2015 :  9:04:30 PM  Show Profile

I watch the deer who are watching the cats. The deer love the apple trees so we have frequent visitors.

Each of us have our favorite birds to watch at the bird feeder - mine are Nuthatches, but the Grossbeaks add a welcome spot of color.

Penny
Soaper and Not So Crazy Goat Lady

Celebrating Wholesome Living in a Colorful World
www.facebook.com/444Farm
www.444Farm.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Kitchen Window Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page