Join in ... sign up

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Jubilee Annual Celebration
 1. Dream it! Make it! Bake it! Shake it!
 Farmgirl Jubilee 2015
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author 1. Dream it! Make it! Bake it! Shake it!: Previous Topic Farmgirl Jubilee 2015 Next Topic
Page: of 11

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2015 :  05:46:39 AM  Show Profile
I don't do FB but I find that our MJF Chatroom fits my needs so well. I like this venue because we are all here for the same reasons; Farmgirls at Heart. All of the sharing and learning is focused on a huge range of topics making it the perfect place to ask questions, share, and make new friends. Activities like doing swaps has given me the chance to get to know so many talented and thoughtful Farmgirls in a way that offers a more personal experience than FB. I think all of the social media options have their merits but each of us has to decide which ones best fit what we need and wish to experience. Call me old fashioned, but I agree with MaryJane that sometimes, a smaller group experience is more enjoyable for all of the participants.

As this all relates to our Farmgirl Jubilee, I think all of the discussions here and ideas shared will help individuals and small groups create a special day. We already collectively do a great job of this when we have done threads about Fall , and special holidays. When Farmgirls can show photos and share recipes and ideas, it is always so much fun!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2015 :  08:26:24 AM  Show Profile
I'm not on FB and have no interest in it. I do enjoy my time spent on our FarmGirl Chat. It's a warm and peaceful place for me. I have learnt so much that has enriched my life. I like that there is no chaos and everyone gets along - that means a lot to me.

I'm having fun following all the ideas for the Jubilee. I want to get my apron garden flag & other Jubilee projects done before planting time when all my time & energy will be spent on my gardens.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014

Edited by - YellowRose on Jan 26 2015 08:27:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2015 :  8:29:10 PM  Show Profile
We need a theme song, too... Don't you think? ;)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

machick
True Blue Farmgirl

60 Posts

Diana
Park City Kansas
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2015 :  12:48:02 PM  Show Profile
A theme song...How about the Chicken Dance. I am going to the sewing room right now and make my apron flag!

May your bobbins always be full!!!
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2015 :  8:50:44 PM  Show Profile
I stopped using Facebook because I kept getting posts from people who weren't my friends or global postings that I didn't want to see and couldn't stop and I tried. Now I never go there. I believe it is so much work to keep up a Facebook page. I know I will be advised to have a page when I start my business and I know I won't have time for it. I may do a forum like this one on my business webpage. I don't know. Time is so precious and I don't want to waste it on Facebook.

I would so love to be able to go somewhere and meet some of the farm girls. I also like face to face interaction best. Maybe we could get a large space at a national park somewhere that will take the little campers and has cabins for those of us who don't have them. We could all sit around a big fire and sing songs at night, do crafts or natural walking during the day and cook all the meals outdoors. It has been so long since I have been camping.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.

Edited by - churunga on Jan 27 2015 8:55:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2015 :  05:43:46 AM  Show Profile
It's funny how differently some people feel about facebook. I left it for 2 years, actually deleted my account (which is hard to do!) but I was pressured to go back when I stopped working because I didn't have a cell phone then. Instant communication without actually talking to someone is the preferred method now, at least with younger people. There is definitely an impersonality to facebook. This whole farmgirl group, all of us, I feel are a unique little niche of people that don't need it. But I completely understand why it was suggested. It was a very natural and obvious suggestion, so I hope whoever made it (I can't remember, sorry!) doesn't feel attacked in any way. It was a valid suggestion.

Also I was thinking for those of us who haven't earned it yet, the Farmgirl Spirit badge would be a good one to earn during this jubilee weekend! Doesn't that sound fun? A farmgirl party and earn a badge too. In fact, I may plan my Farmgirl Jubilee weekend to try to earn as many badges as I can during the weekend! However, the party will take precedent. It may become overwhelming, I see that potential, but if it does, I'm not sacrificing the party. Something else will have to go :)

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"It is... through the world of the imagination which takes us beyond the restrictions of provable fact, that we touch the hem of truth." - Madeleine L'Engle

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2015 :  06:22:33 AM  Show Profile
Erin I like your party idea, and if a badge or two is earned it'll be icing on the cake. Reminds me to check the badge requirements everything I do something for the Jubilee.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2015 :  06:44:15 AM  Show Profile
I'm getting excited for our special Farmgirl Jubilee 2015 weekend, May 2 and 3. It's just around the corner. Badges for sure! Check.

We're on magazine deadline this week and part of next (this is always a tough issue to get done because we only give ourselves one month instead of two because employees take 3 weeks off for Christmas). Plus we're getting our online MJF Sister Issue done today and tomorrow.

As soon as I get it sent to the printer, I'll be jubilantly thinking and planning Jubilee.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2015 :  09:52:38 AM  Show Profile
MaryJane - Would it be possible to have something created like a commemorative charm (maybe by the lady who makes the Sisterhood necklaces?) or something like that for all of us to collect and add to every year? That would be SO cool!

Also - Spoke with my foster daughter this morning. She, my foster granddaughter and myself are going to share a special tea for Farmgirl Jubilee 2015!!! I'm so excited! I'm going to be inviting a few of our other friends as well - the more, the merrier! I'm not quite sure whether we'll be having a fancy get-together at my home or whether we will be visiting one of the local tea rooms, but I am sure whatever we do, it's going to be wonderful! I'm thinking aprons, fancy straw hats and decorated gardening gloves will be in order, don't you? As a matter of fact, I am SURE my son's girlfriend and her mother will join us! Better call them tonight! :)

I am really, REALLY getting excited about this! My BFF Melody joined MJF when I was back home in RI in September, but she hasn't started posting yet... I'm going to call her this weekend and see if she and our friend Liz will join us - either in person OR in spirit - for the celebration, too! As my son would say: This is going to be EPIC! LOL!

Hugs and love -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Jan 28 2015 09:54:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  05:26:29 AM  Show Profile
Ohh, each post just gets more and more exciting here!

Nini, I love your idea of a Sisterhood Charm we could all have to commemorate the first Jubilee celebration. What a great idea! I wonder if one could be designed and produced in time for the first weekend of May?

MaryJane, I love your clothespin apron pattern! I made mine last Summer when I got my first clothesline up and it works perfectly for holding clothespins. Plus the pattern is super easy so that even limited sewers can make one and have it turn out nice. This would be perfect for the official Farmgirl Jubilee Apron 2015. Whoop!!

Erin, your idea of doing a badge over the weekend is also a great one! It would be so fun to do as a way of celebrating the Jubilee event no matter where a person lives.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  06:23:22 AM  Show Profile
Good morning farmgirls! I will work on Nini's charm idea early next week. Check! Keep the ideas coming.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

288 Posts

Kathleen
CT
USA
288 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  10:46:55 AM  Show Profile  Send NixKat a Yahoo! Message
The jubilee is a wonderful idea, and I love all the suggestions on how to celebrate, prepare, etc.
I may be a bit dense, but it sounds like it will be more of a virtual party, where everyone does their own thing at their location, rather than everyone meeting up at a physical location (perhaps at a National Park in the central part of the country). I don't see myself dressing up, flying a flag and doing party things all by myself in my backyard; though I love the thought of a hundred or more sisters getting together for a fun weekend.

Either way, I will continue to enjoy watching plans develop and everyone having fun with it.

{{{Hugs}}}

Kathleen...... Farmgirl Sister #3447

http://hennypennyfarm.blogspot.com/
http://time-2-sew.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  11:09:31 AM  Show Profile
What's so great about our Jubilee is that we can 'do it our way'.

When I turned 60 I began changing the way I looked at life. Along the way I developed my philosophy of taking the time to play every day. Example: in my kitchen I use vintage cookware, utensils, and think abut the women who at one time used them. It's a little like a child playing with their mother's pots & pans.

When I plan for the Jubilee I see it as playing. I get to wear a special apron which I will have the fun of making; cook & eat good food; keep up with what other FarmGirls are doing; make an apron garden flag and show it off in front yard flower bed.

Yes it may be a little silly, but playing a little everyday gives me great joy, and it's a large part of me being contented.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

288 Posts

Kathleen
CT
USA
288 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  1:08:33 PM  Show Profile  Send NixKat a Yahoo! Message
Good for you Sara!! I am a bit older than you and I feel and do things much the same as you (always have). I use my grandmother's cooking and baking tools, her cookie jar (which she made when I was a child) sits in my kitchen, her 100+ year old oil parlor stove is in a place of honor, etc. There are so many memories attached to each item.

As much as I enjoy my little world, I would also enjoy being with like minded women and sharing with each other face to face once in a while. The jubilee would be the perfect venue for an actual gathering.

Believe me, as much as I enjoy the pleasure of my own company, I do appreciate a fun gathering.

It's good to be a little silly, it makes life more fun.

{{{Hugs}}}

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  1:20:15 PM  Show Profile
Kathleen, I turned 60 almost 13 years ago. I agree that a large get-together would be fun. I think MaryJane mentioned that in time it may happen.

I see that you are in CT. Is there a FarmGirl Chapter close to you? I hope so.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

288 Posts

Kathleen
CT
USA
288 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  1:27:01 PM  Show Profile  Send NixKat a Yahoo! Message
I turned 60 some years ago too. There is no one near me. Nearest is 100 miles.

{{{Hugs}}}

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2015 :  05:34:50 AM  Show Profile
Sara and Kathleen, I totally resonate with both of your comments. Because all of us Farmgirls can often live far apart from each other, it does make it hard to actually be together in both Hen Houses and something as large as a Jubilee. If the future eventually holds an event at some location, there will be more Farmgirls that can't attend than those that are able. So, this is where I think the beauty of a virtual online celebration has a huge impact. By celebrating in concrete ways like flags in our yard, baking something special,or planting a commemorative tree or garden, we fulfill our own need to express our Farmgirl Heart. For me, it is the celebrating of my Farmgirl Heart that matters most. Of course, if you do not live near another Farmgirl, you can spread the cheer by inviting a friend to tea or a meal at your home, randomly give your neighbors something like fresh baked cookies tied up in brown bags with string, or a jar of something you canned with a fun note.

In asking myself , what and how do I express my Farmgirl heart, I realize that there are many easy and simple ways to do so. It is not about a single celebration, such as the Jubilee, but rather how I can find opportunities to extend friendship and a little bit of "my Farm" with others. I find that when I am intentional about my Farmgirl Heart, ideas start flowing and suddenly I am aware of all the beautiful friendships, conversations, ideas and fun our MJF Chatroom provides me everyday. Even if I just celebrate the Jubilee myself with others online, it will mark the day as different and special because I put myself into making it that way.

I am very excited to hear and see what everyone ends up doing for our first Jubilee! I am already excited hearing about so many ideas. It is going to be Epic whether we spend it at home or in the company of other Farmgirls. With so much creativity and ingenuity , we are going to have one fantastic time together!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2015 :  07:02:20 AM  Show Profile
Winnie you rock!

You put it into words that I didn't have, and said it so beautifully. Your description of what it means to have a 'FarmGirl Heart' said it all for me. I hadn't thought of it that way, but I will from now on.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1601 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1601 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2015 :  3:42:20 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, You said it wonderfully. Know matter where we are or who we are with it will be awesome.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart
"Smile and be yourself everyday."

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2015 :  2:37:53 PM  Show Profile
Amen, Winnie! Amen!

You know, you girls have me thinking... Once the announcement hits the magazine, I wonder just how many other farmgirls will suddenly appear, and fly their apron flags and celebrating right along with us?! You never know, girls... The apron flags could be signs leading farmgirl hearts to each other! You may be very surprised to learn how many farmgirls are out there, just hoping to meet someone like you!

The apron flags will be great conversation starters, for sure. That time of year, our sidewalks are flooded with after-dinner walkers who like to stop to admire neighbor's homes and flower beds. I can just imagine a few stopping by to inquire why my apron's flying! Maybe I'll dress up the porch a little more fancy that weekend, make up a tray with a big pitcher of lemonade, and have some potted heirloom flowers at the ready to share with the passers by. This could turn out to be quite an amazing thing! Kind of a farmgirl-at-heart passers-by meet-and-greet! LOL! I kind of like that!!!

The more I think about it, I bet that's something each of us can do in some small way - even those who live in apartments could probably set up a little greeting table at the door. Maybe make Farmgirl cookies tied with the recipe on them, place them in a basket and share them with people as they enter and exit the building... Or maybe make up little packets of organic heirloom seeds (or better, saved seeds from your own garden!), place them in peat cups filled with little baggies of potting soil, then tied with raffia with a tag featuring planting instructions, and share THOSE with neighbors and passers by! And when I lived back home in RI, someone would always leave abundant loaves of bread in the entry of our church for everyone to take home after the service... Couldn't we farmgirls do something similar by sharing something at our own places of worship (AFTER the service, of course!)? Who knows what discussions will ensue? Who knows what inspiration will burst forth? Who knows what friendships will be born? I've actually met a few "closet" farmgirls when out buying my canning jars - they have opened up quite a few interesting conversations with complete strangers! In any event, what I do know is these sure would be some neat ways to honor MaryJane and the way she gives so much to all of us. I'm not sure I'm saying this right, sorry - there is a raucous bunch of city boys in the other room playing video games who are making it tough to concentrate! LOL! But I think you get the idea. I think connecting and sharing are a couple of MaryJane's greatest hallmarks, and definitely something to be honored!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2015 :  2:54:29 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I just spent the morning walking around my home town stopping and shopping in all the little stores and ducking into all the coffee shops. I haven't been able to bust out of here like that since this past summer! Anyway, it was great to come home to your post to keep my "I love commUNITY" feelings all lit up. Good things are going to come out of Farmgirl Jubilee. I just feel it in my bones.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2015 :  2:54:41 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I'm going to make an apron garden flag for the season, but after reading your wonderful words I will join all you FarmGirls, and fly an apron on the first weekend of May and then on May 6 MaryJane's birthday too. I probably won't get around to making a new one, but I have several to choose from.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2015 :  7:03:25 PM  Show Profile
Today I got to meet a couple of my farm girl sister's in person, while talking about the Jubilee I said that I am ordering a few extra Mary Jane Farm Magazines and give them out to a couple of homes where you can see examples of where farm girl works (I hope I said that right) are showing. I do not know the people that live there, but I intend to stop and introduce myself with a copy of MJF magazine. I can't think of a better way of giving them a taste of what they are missing. Hugs Karla
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2015 :  05:39:57 AM  Show Profile
Karla is a wonderful example of sharing the Farmgirl at Heart meaning. Yesterday, she brought two of her neighbors to our tea for Florida Farmgirls. Both of these women were living the Farmgirl life already on their own farms without knowing there was this whole community of women out there sharing and doing the same thing. It was a pleasure to meet them and learn about all of their farm lives. I have learned that sometimes all someone needs is a little encouragement and a smile. When one of us extends that friendship forward, others feel welcomed and encouraged. And isn't that what it is all about? Aproned up of course!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2015 :  10:53:33 AM  Show Profile
That is just so exciting to me! AWESOME!!! Sounds like the Jubilee has already begun! :) Then again, when you think about it, when you're a farmgirl at heart, there's always jubilee! :)

(MaryJane - Your post made me smile! I am DYING to "bust out of here like that," too! Very much looking forward to spring, indeed!)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Feb 02 2015 10:53:56 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 1. Dream it! Make it! Bake it! Shake it!: Previous Topic Farmgirl Jubilee 2015 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page