windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2019 :  02:24:30 AM  Show Profile
I render both lard and tallow. Mostly I use them for soap making. I love using bacon grease when frying potatoes, yum. I used to use lard for pie crusts, but have not done that for a long time. That is about it. SaraM I love having both chicken and beef stock canned up. Great to just grab a jar when you need it. And makes a quick easy soup. When cooking down old hens, I just save the breast meat and chunk it up into small freezer bags. Then they are easy to grab for a quick supper. I think the dark meat never does get tender on the old hens. So that is for my dog.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2019 :  11:25:00 AM  Show Profile
When we had hogs I rendered down the lard for pie crust, cookies, tamales, etc. Now the doctor says that is bad for my heart. I want to know why my grandmother and her sisters all lived well into their 90s eating all the lard they used in cooking.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2019 :  6:17:36 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the many inputs! I agree about using the chicken fat in savory things only, due to seasonings, and that bacon fat rules for potatoes! But I will use this fat next time I do potatoes to see how it compares.

Glad to hear we don’t have to eat all of the retired hen meat! I do hope I get up the nerve to make stock of them when they reach that age. Right now I have ducks I meant to kill for dinners, and I’ve learned I should have done that when they were 8-10 weeks old! I do still want to try them, but it’ll definitely be after the holidays!

I’ve decided that if one is blessed with fairly good health, all things in moderation won’t hurt. Thus, lard now and then should be ok. However, the past generations definitely ate more fresh vegetables and much less processed food than we do.

How does one store the fats, and how long will they keep?
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2019 :  05:48:04 AM  Show Profile
Sara, not sure how long one should keep lard but I have kept the lard my great niece rendered for 6 months in the fridge.

Over the last week I canned 4 pints navy beans with ham and 4 pints without.

My sister gave me a hambone that cooked in slow cooker overnight. Hope to can the broth in the morning after defatting. Hambone broth is good in cooking many vegetables - I especially like to use it in green beans.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2019 :  11:34:06 PM  Show Profile
I freeze the lard and tallow. Not sure how long it will keep though. Slow cookers get the job done. Nice to get up and have it ready to go.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2020 :  09:12:43 AM  Show Profile
Sara I’ve never thought to cook green beans in anything but water!
I processed my first batch of dried beans! It was so easy, compared to all the prep of the various garden vegetables I’ve done! I just cooked them plain to add to other dishes, although I used salt water according to directions for well water. I haven’t yet tried them to test how well cooked they are.
I made eight pints kidneys, and an experimental pint of rattlesnake beans. When I reached my limit this summer picking green beans I decided to allow them to go to seed and dry on the vine. But before I go through all the work of shelling the pods I thought I should find out how edible they are.
Has anyone ever done that? I also have quite a few white seeded Kentucky Blue Lake seeds which look a lot like a canelini.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2020 :  09:39:38 AM  Show Profile
Sara, several years ago I became interested in canning broths beyond just the usual chicken and beef broths. Hambone broth was one of my first experiments. It turned out good then the thing to do was find ways to use it. That's when green beans came to mind. I put bacon or bacon grease in them so why not hambone broth. It's all in the pork family. Mushroom broth was next on my list to try. The other day I cooked a bunch of kale with a pint of my mushroom broth.

So glad you dried canning dried beans. They're one of my favorite things to can and so handy to have on the shelve. I have no experience with garden dried beans - my all come from the store or on-line. I say experiment and have fun doing it.

This morning I canned 4 pints mushroom broth. Will soak a lb of pinto beans overnight to can in the morning. Today and first part of the week will see temps in the 60s so I'm canning before it gets too cold again.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  10:41:56 AM  Show Profile
So Sara, my pressure canning book says I only need to presoak the beans if they are going into a recipe with acids, which would prevent softening of beans. In your experience, have you had some beans turn out undercooked if not soaked beforehand?
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  11:01:27 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I guess I'm old school, I've never canned or cooked dried beans without soaking.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  11:18:55 AM  Show Profile
I always soak beans; it makes them cook faster and less gassy. I usually do the bring to a boil and let set for two hours soak rather than the overnight soak.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2020 :  11:21:59 AM  Show Profile
Another thing about beans -- add acid foods like tomatoes after the beans are cooked. I recall a pot of beans I made as a young bride --- I put everything including tomatoes in the pot at the beginning and after cooking all day they were still hard.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade

Edited by - StitchinWitch on Jan 06 2020 11:22:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2020 :  08:54:23 AM  Show Profile
Oh dear Judith! Someone could start a thread to share young bride horror stories! Lol!

I opened a jar of kidney beans to go in a dish last night and they were just perfect! So just for the record, dry beans went straight into the jar, topped with hot water to within one inch of top, processed at 10psi for 1 hour 15 minutes, and they did cook beautifully! It’s amazingly simple! And I have Sara of the Yellow Rose Cottage to thank for the inspiration!

I will always keep pressure canned beans in my pantry from now on.
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2020 :  08:56:03 AM  Show Profile
Also Judith, your comment still holds true. My cookbook warns that this no-soak method only applies to plain beans, not beans with other ingredients.
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2020 :  6:21:45 PM  Show Profile
This is the newbie pressure canner reaching out to the experienced canners for their expertise.
I did a batch of dry beans this afternoon. Some of the jars lost water from inside and now have a head space of about two inches instead of one. Some didn’t.
Are those jars still properly preserved? Or should I not keep them in storage?

I did make an adjustment in the temperature during processing— which I know they say you shouldn’t do. Is the whole batch lost?.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2020 :  01:25:19 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I can't help you but am interested in what our more experienced canners have to say. The next time I can dried beans I want to try the dry bean method.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2020 :  06:45:21 AM  Show Profile
I’ve been thinking more about this. A couple of things are going on. One is that I used my homegrown Bingo beans which are big, plump beans, not quite the same size as any typical dry bean. I used the measurement for kidneys—1 cup dry beans per quart jar—and I now think that was a bit too much for these beans. I’ll try them again with 3/4 cup.
Then I also did a mixed batch, to fill the canner. Three jars were of black-eyed peas. These look to me to be over cooked, and now that I think of it they do cook much quicker than large beans. Have you ever canned them?
I plan to just use these jars this weekend in dishes, as right now they are the same as a freshly cooked pot of beans. I’ll try it again soon, tho!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2020 :  09:07:25 AM  Show Profile

oops... went to the wrong strain. sorry!

Edited by - Ninibini on Jan 14 2020 09:17:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2020 :  09:12:01 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Ninibini, so interested in fermenting cranberries, tell me more.

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2020 :  09:28:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi Gail!

Sorry - I meant to put that in the fermenting strain! LOL! I'm losing my mind!

Basically, you fill a quart canning jar with slightly chopped fresh cranberries (not all have to be chopped, and you can add some chopped apple as well, if you like). You add the juice of an orange, a stick of cinnamon, a slice of ginger and a couple of cloves, if desired. Then you SLOWLY pour natural raw honey into the jar, moving the cranberries around gently to make sure the honey fills every gap, all the way to the neck of the jar. Some people add a little whey to get the process going, but I do not. The process takes a little longer this way to get started, but it works just fine. Loosely screw the lid on top, cover with a cloth and keep in a cool, dark place for about 3 - 7 days. You should start seeing the bubbles in a day or two, but you want to ferment a few more days, seven days max or you may end up with more of an alcoholic cordial! LOL!. After about a week, tighten the lid and store in the refrigerator. I've read it lasts for up to a month, but it never lasts that long in my house! You can find several variations to this recipe online. Whichever you use, I'm sure if you love cranberries, you'll LOVE them this way! We use it as a side dish at the holidays, on top of ice cream or cake, etc. DELISH!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2020 :  09:33:54 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Ninibini - thank you, I will be doing this, sounds amazing. Blessings for a wonderful day!

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2020 :  09:34:35 AM  Show Profile
Right back atcha, sister! Let me know how it goes!!! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2862 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2862 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2020 :  3:30:33 PM  Show Profile
NINI!!!!!!!
Welcome back sister!
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2020 :  7:36:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nini!!! :D

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2020 :  8:17:31 PM  Show Profile
Lisa!!! Sharon!!! OMGOSH! I've missed you both! Sharon - I thought you moved away and disappeared on us! We have to catch up, girls! It's been too long! I haven't had any time to myself to really be in touch at all, but I am REALLY trying to change that this year! Love you both dearly! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2020 :  12:18:07 PM  Show Profile
This morning I canned my first batch of dry pinto beans. It was much easier without the soaking and 30 min cooking but (and there always seems to be a but) the 3/4 cups of dried beans was too much for a pint and only half of the beans were still covered with water after canning. I opened one jar for lunch and the beans were cooked perfectly and tasty with only salt added. When all the jars are cooled I will keep in fridge. Between my sisters and me the 3 and now 1/2 jar shouldn't last a week.

I will definitely try it again. Will go with 1/2 cup of dry beans for each pint.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 61 Farm Kitchen:  What is everyone canning? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page