Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 Homesteading in the City or Town or Village
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Homesteading in the City or Town or Village Next Topic  

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2015 :  12:51:25 PM  Show Profile
I'm curious if there are other farm girls out there who are adopting a more homesteading state of being but live in a City, Town or Village.

We live in the City while dreaming of living in the country but are trying to do more things from scratch, plan more, use less.

What do others do?

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2015 :  06:14:37 AM  Show Profile
AnneMarie, I think one of the greatest gifts that MaryJanesFarm magazine and her Ideas book( highly recommend this if you are in need of inspiration) do is to break down the concept of Homesteading where you are. There are no mandates for actually being out of the city in a rural area. For me, MaryJanesFarm dictum was all about Farmgirl at Heart. The concept is what you want to make it be given your location, age, resources, and interests. Anyone can implement organic eating, patio gardens with few veggies or herbs, buying from local Farmer's markets, making your meals from scratch, replacing harsh chemicals in your home with natural effective products that you can make yourself. Each MJF magazine has a section under Simple Solutions for everyday Organic where there are 7 tips for a simple life with wonderful ideas and information. Bringing back family traditions, learning generation honored recipes for your way of cooking and creating your home and space into a place that is full of love and a sense of place for you and your family are the basic bones of Homesteading. For many of us, myself included, living out on a farm in Montana or Wyoming and truly being off the grid are not within our personal resources or abilities to do. But, when I put on an apron, cook fresh local ingredients and sit out on the porch and eat, my little backyard feels like a Homestead. There are many internet resources and books to learn better, more frugal, and healthy ways to live.

You are not alone in being a city girl on a mission for turning your home into an area that exhibits those homesteading traits and feel. If you don't have a few favorite aprons to wear everyday, I suggest starting with getting one. Somehow, it just transforms your brain into thinking differently! I also suggest working on some of Mary Jane's badges because they really do help you start making the changes that you want to learn about. You can find the badges on the Home Page under Sisterhood section. It is a great starting point for working on living the Homestead Life where you are. Good luck and keep us posted on what you are working on. We all love to learn here from each other!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2015 :  07:25:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi AnneMarie, Winnie said it just right about homesteading in town. I live in a small city of 30,000 or so; in a small frame house; with small front & backyards.

I grow herbs mainly in containers; a few in the ground. I have three chickens who free range in the backyard during the day and are shut up in a little red barn coop at night. They just started laying on the 17th so this morning I got the 6th egg.

I use vinegar in my wash, cleaning, to kill weeds, on ant beds, on insect stings, and as a hair rinse. I preserve foods in olive oil, salt, and vinegar. Also by drying herbs, greens, mushrooms, eggplants, onions, garlic, and potatoes.

I haven't re-cycled, but it's on my to-do list. Little by little I am changing the way I do things and more important the way I think about the way I want to live my life.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Edited by - YellowRose on Jul 23 2015 07:27:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

morganewilson
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Morgan
Knoxville TN
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2015 :  06:42:32 AM  Show Profile
I live about 3 miles from downtown Knoxville, a city of about 180,000 people. I love the country but until I can retire or become independently wealthy I plan to stay close to the city where our jobs are. My boyfriend rides his bike to work every day and my commute is only about 8 minutes via car. I live in a historic house that's about 1400 sq feet with him and my dog (my son just moved onto the UTK campus). We have a small fenced back yard where we have three raised beds and other in ground beds including one that is just herbs. I have an apple tree that would have given me lots of apples if it wasn't for the squirrels and we planted 3 blackberry plants this year. My hope is to have almost no yard and all garden at some point. We also put in two rainbarrels this year and have a worm compost bin. Hoping to get chickens in the next year if possible.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2015 :  07:08:58 AM  Show Profile
I live in a large metropolitan area in a state that has a large farming economy. This used to be prairie and the soil, just 20 blocks from the downtown, is very rich. It is almost too bad so much is built up here. I live in an apartment and am very lucky to be allowed by the management to have a garden. The maintenance guys like it because there is less to mow. One of the biggest reasons I moved here was the garden.

I treat everyone in our 11 unit building as a neighbor and a homesteader. I let them all know I am there to help them out however I can. The garden is for everyone. So is my generosity. That is how I do it.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2654 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2654 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2021 :  4:47:30 PM  Show Profile
You ladies are all so inspiring! Farmgirling is a state of mind, a state of heart. And, Winnie - you nailed it with starting with an apron! Everytime I put one of mine on, state of mind and heart definately changes!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2021 :  07:08:03 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I agree with all of the above. Winnie you definitely nailed it. Though we live on a small farmette, we are moving soon and no matter where we end up I plan to continue living the farm girl life. It makes life an adventure for sure!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Homesteading in the City or Town or Village Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page