Lindsay C
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Lindsay
Rogersville AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2015 :  12:24:50 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I are currently on a 5 acre homestead where over the years we have had goats, chickens, pigs, rabbits, and cows. However, we have a house that's much larger than we need with a mortgage payment that we'd rather not have. We'd like to be free to travel and spend less time at work and more time at home. And honestly, we're spending a lot more on feed than we would like!

So we're thinking of downsizing to a much smaller house (probably about 900 sq feet) and also downsizing the yard to around an acre. We think we might really be able to refocus our homestead efforts at being self-sufficient with a smaller coop of backyard chickens, a good size garden, and maybe some rabbits. Has anyone else done this or thinking about doing this?

Lindsay
Farmgirl Sister #1452
http://crowsonshire.blogspot.com

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2015 :  04:05:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi Lindsay, I'm not exactly in your situation, but I think there are many of us who are in downsizing mode, whatever our current life situation. I can't change my house size currently, because I moved my mom in a couple of years ago. But I've been downsizing "stuff" and it's very freeing. I'll bet there are lots of people who are trying to compact their lifestyle to be more self-sufficient. I'm really interested and hope you'll tell us about your experience as you make this decision!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2015 :  2:11:13 PM  Show Profile
Lindsay, my husband and I downsized two years ago. I wish we would have done it sooner. We love our smaller footage house. Good luck with your downsizing. Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Downsizing Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page