AngelNicki
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Nicki
Washougal WA
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  10:14:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! I actually joined the forum a few years ago, but never posted until now. I am from Chicago but have always been a country girl at heart, despite being raised in the city. We used to go up to Wisconsin in the summer, and that is where I first found MaryJane's Farm Magazine! I read it and loved it, but forgot about it until I recently moved here to Washington! Now I am really in the country... staying with family members now but looking forward to someday getting my own little farm. In the mean time I am lucky enough to get to volunteer on a sanctuary farm in Oregon and spend time with my aunt's friend's goats!
Are there any Maryjane's Sisterhood chapters near Vancouver, WA or Portland, OR? I have contacted the ones listed, but got no response!

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  04:22:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nicki, and glad you're jumping into the forum! I'm over on the east coast so I'm afraid I can't help wIth your local chapter question. But I'm very excited for you and looking forward to hearing about you new adventure! Hugs!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

DoriTroutman
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Dori
Kelso TN
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  05:27:49 AM  Show Profile
Hello Nicki,

Welcome to the forum!

Keep looking for and dreaming of the day you get your own farm. My husband and I dreamed, planned, saved for 27 years before we could buy ours. We've been here on our 100 acre Tennessee farm for 4 years now and WOW... everyday I love it more.

What a great opportunity you have to volunteer on a sanctuary farm. I'll be anxious to hear more about it!

Dori
The Ranch Farmgirl for MaryJanes Farmgirl bloggers

http://www.farmgirlbloggers.com/category/ranch_farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

CindyFB20
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Cynthia
King George VA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  05:33:33 AM  Show Profile
Hi Niki,

Little "farmette" here, some rabbits, chickens, turkeys, gardens of course and all the wonderful fiber arts. Welcome from King George VA

Cindy@singlepearfarm
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4727 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4727 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  05:40:22 AM  Show Profile
Welcome back Nicki! I am from the Chicago area and my late parents had a vacation home up in Hayward, WI. Good luck on finding a farm that suits your needs In the meantime have fun volunteering!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  06:20:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nicki and welcome to "the Farm" form way over here in Gainesville, Florida! Enjoy your current farm experience and keep us posted on where you end up next!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  06:32:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nicki! Welcome to the Farm! So glad you "re-found" us :) Looking forward to getting to know you, and hearing about your adventures with the goats :) Can you tell me more about the sanctuary farm???

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

guineahen
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Andrea
Hawley Pa
USA
86 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  06:39:45 AM  Show Profile

Hi! That is cool what you are doing. After working with these animals what would you like to have on your future farm?
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  06:59:38 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Nicki. I live up north near Canada in Washington State. there are several Mary Janers living in SW Washington. Hopefully you all will find each other.
MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  07:22:35 AM  Show Profile
Welcome from Texas, Nicki! What a blessing, getting to volunteer on a sanctuary farm! I hope you have that little farm of your own real soon. So glad to meet you.

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com
'The Simply Lived Life' blog http://www.wandasturrock.com/website/blog/
Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  07:31:09 AM  Show Profile
Nicki, I forgot. We have a new sanctuary ranch here in Texas that I am so proud of - started by a woman! Thought you may want to check it out.

http://rowdygirlsanctuary.com/

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16301 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16301 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  07:38:46 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Nicki! How wonderful that you've been able to make the big move. I look forward to hearing how some day you find YOUR farm.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  07:46:00 AM  Show Profile
Welcome from Iowa, Nicki! That's so cool that you are volunteering at the sanctuary!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  07:46:46 AM  Show Profile
*waving at ya from a cattle ranch in Wyoming* Welcome to Farmgirls!

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

My Avon

www.youravon.com/sheronetaylor

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  12:00:54 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Nicki. Glad you joined the Forum. Enjoy!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13585 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13585 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  2:17:59 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Nikki!
Enjoy the Connection . . . a great place to be!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AngelNicki
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Nicki
Washougal WA
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2015 :  8:38:43 PM  Show Profile
One of the animals I want most is goats! I have a friend out here who has 11 goats so I am getting to learn a little about keeping them. Tomorrow I am going over to her house to help her trim their hooves!
I'd also love to have a horse, or maybe a burro. And some ducks!
- Nicki

quote:
Originally posted by guineahen

Hi! That is cool what you are doing. After working with these animals what would you like to have on your future farm?

Go to Top of Page

guineahen
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Andrea
Hawley Pa
USA
86 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2015 :  06:32:29 AM  Show Profile
How did the hoof trimming go? I am a chicken when it comes to that so my youngest son does that. Does your friend make cheese so you can learn that too? Ducks are fun. Next weekend our oldest daughter is bringing up a pig for us to take care of. She fell in love with it as a piglet. The farm she works on was going to send it to slaughter cause it didn't get pregnant so she bought it. She lives in a rented beachhouse five hours away so we will care for pig till she can buy a place. I am worried pig will be lonely without any other pigs.
Go to Top of Page

AngelNicki
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Nicki
Washougal WA
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2015 :  3:47:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi! The hoof trimming went pretty well! The goats were varying degrees of cooperative. We had to herd them all into the shelter, and then take them out one at a time to get their hooves trimmed. We distracted them by giving them grain and peanuts to eat! One of them was really upset and kept yelling, "BLAH!"
She doesn't make cheese... most of her goats are boys, because she rescues them from people. (Because they don't make milk, a lot of people don't want to keep their boy goats except for breeding purposes, so if they have boy goats they either give them away or eat them!)
Babysitting the pig sounds like fun! I have known of a lot of people who had only one pig, so maybe they don't need other pigs to keep them company... or else maybe your daughter will have to get the pig a sister or brother!

quote:
Originally posted by guineahen

How did the hoof trimming go? I am a chicken when it comes to that so my youngest son does that. Does your friend make cheese so you can learn that too? Ducks are fun. Next weekend our oldest daughter is bringing up a pig for us to take care of. She fell in love with it as a piglet. The farm she works on was going to send it to slaughter cause it didn't get pregnant so she bought it. She lives in a rented beachhouse five hours away so we will care for pig till she can buy a place. I am worried pig will be lonely without any other pigs.

Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2015 :  6:04:23 PM  Show Profile
All this piggy talk reminded me of when I raised three orphaned baby pigs in my parents' den. They are so easy to love. And they're smart. I fed them with a baby bottle, but my room was upstairs. At night, they would climb out of their straw filled washtub and go down the hall, around the corner into my parents' bedroom, to my daddy's side of the bed. They'd get him up and he would let me know that my babies were hungry.

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com
Go to Top of Page

Janice
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Janice
Vancouver WA
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2015 :  8:40:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nicki
I live in Vancouver.... a city girl but, a farm girl at heart. Love to get to know you better. I have live here with my husband and 19 year old son for 10 year. I love the weather. I'm a former Calif. girl born and raised.

Janice Vintage Artist & Apron Artist
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2015 :  1:17:30 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nicki - I know I wrote in another one of your posts, but I just want to tell you WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME! I'm so happy you're here! I can't wait to hear more about all of your new adventures in the country! I'll be celebrating with you all the way! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

www.papercraftingwithnini.ctmh.com

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Just moved to SW Washington Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page