Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **Welcome Wagon
 Hello From the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hello From the Upper Peninsula of Michigan Next Topic  

brianna.e
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Brianna
Gladstone Michigan
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2015 :  12:16:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,

My name is Brianna and I am a single mother raising my 2 1/2 year daughter, Avery. We currently live with my folks as my father is battling his second bought of renal cancer and I am trying to help out as best I can.

I am 26, but to be honest- I never really felt my age. I always felt like an old soul in the wrong time. It was as if I was meant for an earlier time period but missed my stop. I enjoy many of today's things (The internet is amazing, is it not?) but I find peace and passion in folklore, folk crafts, and self sufficiency. I am a writer that lost her way for a few years but is back with a vengeance, ready to write my first book. I also enjoy reading, knitting, hand sewing, baking/cooking, and history. I would love to own my own little hobby farm one day! It is my "big" dream

I was never really good at these introductions, so I hope this suffices. I look forward to getting to know you all.
<3 <3
-B

Edited by - brianna.e on Sep 19 2015 12:41:57 PM

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2015 :  12:30:05 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Brianna ... with a book to write. I hope joining in the conversation here can somehow help you accomplish your book-writing goal. In my experience, if you were meant to write a book, you will! In addition, those who can help you are already lined up waiting to give you a hand. Sorry to hear about your father. That's got to be hard. And a welcome to little Avery also.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

brianna.e
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Brianna
Gladstone Michigan
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2015 :  12:43:37 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MaryJane

Welcome Brianna ... with a book to write. I hope joining in the conversation here can somehow help you accomplish your book-writing goal. In my experience, if you were meant to write a book, you will! In addition, those who can help you are already lined up waiting to give you a hand. Sorry to hear about your father. That's got to be hard. And a welcome to little Avery also.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~

Thank you for your kind and lovely words!

I remember hearing once that writing is about 30% inspiration and 70% just writing. Sometimes it is SO easy for me to find excuses not to write but I think with a little determination and support I can get there!

Thank you again!
Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2015 :  1:57:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi Brianna! What a beautiful name. I won't be quite as honest about my age as you were about yours. Actually, I try not to pay that much attention to it. I share many of those 'wrong time' feelings, and always have. One thing I love, but don't find time for right now, is making and wearing period clothing.

I am so very sorry to hear about your dad, and wish blessings for you all.

It's great to have another writer join our group. I got a late start with writing, but am about to publish my first book. It's a middle-grade historical novel but, the one I'm working on now is for older readers. Hope you will share something about your book with us.

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com
'The Simply Lived Life' blog http://www.wandasturrock.com/website/blog/
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2015 :  1:58:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi Brianna,
Welcome to Mary Jane's Farm!!!! I was so surprised to see your post. I am from Escanaba, just moved to Florida last November. Lived in Escanaba for 63 years!!!!~ You will love it here. Sorry to hear about your father. Again, welcome.

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

brianna.e
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Brianna
Gladstone Michigan
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2015 :  5:46:51 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TexasWildflower

Hi Brianna! What a beautiful name. I won't be quite as honest about my age as you were about yours. Actually, I try not to pay that much attention to it. I share many of those 'wrong time' feelings, and always have. One thing I love, but don't find time for right now, is making and wearing period clothing.

I am so very sorry to hear about your dad, and wish blessings for you all.

It's great to have another writer join our group. I got a late start with writing, but am about to publish my first book. It's a middle-grade historical novel but, the one I'm working on now is for older readers. Hope you will share something about your book with us.

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com

Wanda,
I love that idea! One of my big "To-Do's" this year is to learn to use a sewing machine without screaming profanity at it. Sewing on a machine is not one of my talents but if it was, I would love to sew period clothing. What time period do you enjoy the most in terms of clothing?

I love that there are writers on this site. I have the talent and creativity but lack the drive and as we all know- you can have talent until the cows come home but if you don't have determination you will not go far. I hope that I am able to learn from all of you lovely writers and be spurred on to continue my works!
Go to Top of Page

brianna.e
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Brianna
Gladstone Michigan
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2015 :  5:48:59 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jan49829

Hi Brianna,
Welcome to Mary Jane's Farm!!!! I was so surprised to see your post. I am from Escanaba, just moved to Florida last November. Lived in Escanaba for 63 years!!!!~ You will love it here. Sorry to hear about your father. Again, welcome.

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com

How lovely! I am always surprised to meet folks from the UP, even more so from my neck of the UP! It is a pleasure to meet you.
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2015 :  5:51:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Brianna. Welcome to MaryJane's Farm! I'm sorry to hear of your father's trial with cancer. You will never regret spending this time with him. I'll bet he is really enjoying Avery.

DH and I traveled around the UP this summer. We went through Gladstone twice. We laughed and called it Happyrock! It looked like a nice place!

I'm much older than you; but the term "old soul" is a good one and a comfortable one.

Enjoy the people you meet here!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6528 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2015 :  6:39:50 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Brianna from Gainesville, Florida. Your area of the country is a mystery to me so I am looking forward to hearing about all the things you like to do!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

brianna.e
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Brianna
Gladstone Michigan
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2015 :  06:20:47 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by forgetmenot

Hi, Brianna. Welcome to MaryJane's Farm! I'm sorry to hear of your father's trial with cancer. You will never regret spending this time with him. I'll bet he is really enjoying Avery.

DH and I traveled around the UP this summer. We went through Gladstone twice. We laughed and called it Happyrock! It looked like a nice place!

I'm much older than you; but the term "old soul" is a good one and a comfortable one.

Enjoy the people you meet here!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon

Yes! HappyRock :) It is such a beautiful little town, one that is full of history that has sadly been forgotten by the march of time (as have many small towns) but one that is starting to slowly grow again. Small businesses and a few artists have decided to make this town their home, so there is hope!

I love that you can through our way. I am always amazed at the amount of people who do!
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2015 :  07:20:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi Brianna, and welcome! Firstly, I'm so sorry about your dad's illness. Your presence there is a huge comfort to him, I'm sure. I am also a single mom, although my daughter is now 35! I raised her on my own from the time she was one, so I know about the joys and occasional frustrations. I want to read your book someday, so go for it! Hugs!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2015 :  07:54:12 AM  Show Profile
Brianna - I was once a single mom also. In my case, it was no car, no phone, etc. But difficult times build strong character...and give you lots of ideas for books!

I think the clothing I most enjoy making and wearing is around 1860 to 1910. Back in the 1980s I stumbled across authentic patterns and that was it for me.

Right now, even though I'm 68 (Oops! Did I say that?!), I feel blessed not to have developed an 'old' figure, so I live in jeans, because they fit my lifestyle. But, when I do reach a certain point, I will probably wear the clothes I really love, that fit my 'another time' personality, have everything I need delivered to my place, and live on my little 'back then' cloud. Sounds good to me. How 'bout you?

Now, you get busy on that book, girl. We've got things to write that the world needs to read. Feel free to email me and I'll give you my phone number. Take care.

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com
Go to Top of Page

brianna.e
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Brianna
Gladstone Michigan
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2015 :  11:07:00 AM  Show Profile
I actually really love being a single mom. I was never married and even though we never see her biological father, he is kind enough to trust me to give my daughter a great life and lets me make all the choices. I don't think this life is for everyone, but it works for me.

That isn't to say that I don't have my hard times. Lord, I have less money and time than I would like to express but I am learning how to be a better steward of my time and money. Sometimes I get very discouraged and think that it is very unlikely that I will be able to live the life I want (ya know, being a writer and small hobby farmer) but then I realize that not trying is already failing. So, I work hard towards my dreams and home that with a little luck, I will get there.
Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2015 :  11:46:17 AM  Show Profile
Brianna - Being a single mom does give a lot more freedom in many ways, and hard times don't necessarily have to be sad times. As long as we can 'see' our blessings, life can be wonderful no matter how much, or little, we have. I was in your position, once, then, spent 38 years in an emotionally and physically abusive marriage. Even with the daily struggle, I feel so very blessed now. Don't let go of that hope. Only God knows what a wonderful life is ahead for you, or what blessings He has in store.

Write on!

Wanda
Farmgirl sister #3399
www.wandasturrock.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2015 :  1:11:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Brianna! Just want to give you a warm farmgirl welcome! :) So happy to meet you! I am so, so sorry about your father, but I will be praying for him and for all of you! Also - try very hard not to get discouraged, okay? God entrusted that beautiful, bubbly little girl to you - you are her gift, and she is yours! Celebrate all the goodness that comes from that gift! When my son was just a baby in my arms, my husband's aunt gave me the greatest advice, and although I can't remember her exact words, they went something like this: always love your child - you can never love to much; don't listen to everyone else, trust the heart that God gave you, do everything out of love, and you will never go wrong. :) And yes, I assure you - you WILL get there! Life is hard, I know. Grandma always said, "You can do anything you set out to do, with the help of God." And over the years, I have learned just how very true that is. You will, too. Believe in yourself and never let go of your dreams. Sure, things don't always work out exactly as we picture things for ourselves, but over the years I've learned that they always turn out so much better than I could've imagined. I can only imagine some of the mountains that you are facing right now. But just keep plugging along. One day, you will look back on all of this trial, your daughter will be all grown and you will look into her beautiful eyes, see the love, cherish the memories and just revel in all you have accomplished. And you will be amazed at just how strong you are. You can do this, you can. We are here for you, too, Brianna. You are never alone with your farmgirl sisters nearby. These women are some of the most wonderful people you will ever meet. You are going to love it here, and we are definitely going to love you! :) BIG hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

www.papercraftingwithnini.ctmh.com

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Sep 21 2015 1:15:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2015 :  3:07:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi Brianna, and welcome!

I like your post. Like you, I have always felt like an old soul, born in the wrong generation. As I've gotten older, that trait is what I like best about myself (I'm now in my forties).

MaryJanesFarm is the place to be! You will love it here.

Hold on to your dreams, and keep on dreaming and doing!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

brianna.e
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Brianna
Gladstone Michigan
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2015 :  05:43:12 AM  Show Profile
You are all too sweet and you really make me feel like I can do everything I put my mind and heart to! I wish I could give you all a big hug <3
Go to Top of Page

DoriTroutman
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Dori
Kelso TN
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2015 :  07:48:54 AM  Show Profile
Brianna, your introduction was beautiful. And I'm so anxious for your book because I think it will be written about all the things I love!!! :-) And I'm pretty sure you're in the right place for the best farmgirl hugs.

Hope your father is doing okay and what a comfort it must be to him to have you near.

Dori
The Ranch Farmgirl for MaryJanes Farmgirl bloggers

http://www.farmgirlbloggers.com/category/ranch_farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2015 :  08:59:20 AM  Show Profile
Brianna, so glad you are here. This is a great place to meet kindred souls. Your daughters age makes me smile. They are so cute when they're little. God bless you as you parent alone and help your folks.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hello From the Upper Peninsula of Michigan Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page