katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17061 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17061 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2015 :  8:02:21 PM  Show Profile
Since I was born in the '50's... I got to wear both Nylons and panty hose... and all I can say is Thank goodness for panty hose! lol!

But,,,, I never knew these existed...

and have never seen these until today...

Nylon repair kits.. with actual 'nylon' thread... in a match book type holder.

I found this in a bag of sewing stuff an elderly neighbor gave to me... it came from her mother's home...

It is quit small and I almost tossed it thinking it was a mini pack of matches...

I am so glad I didn't toss it...
and I am still glad they invented panty hose! lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Oct 18 2015 8:03:58 PM

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2015 :  11:39:27 PM  Show Profile
Wow Grace...I never knew there were mending kits for silk stockings...way back when either.

I knew that Soldiers brought back silk stockings for their girlfriends and Mothers from their tours
of duty during WWII and the Korean War because you couldn't get them here in the states.

That was a cool find you got from your Neighbor alright. I'm with you however...I loved the invention
of Panty Hose...once they got past that One Size Fits All ridiculousness. Being 5ft 1 1/2 I could pull
those babies up over my Bra and they were still bagging around my ankles. ROFLOL

Hugs and Smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6824 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6824 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2015 :  06:17:41 AM  Show Profile
Grace, that's a little treasure for sure. I was a teenager in the 50s and wore nylons to church and on dates. Never mended them but if the snag was under my skirt I stopped the run with a dab of clear nail polish.

After school I worked at a department store in the hosiery & shoe department. Back then nylons came folded in tissue paper in boxes. I remember ladies putting their hands into the top of the nylons to see how it looked on their skin and how sheer they were. Of course they had seams then and the style of seam matter too.

About that time mesh hose came out and though they didn't snag as easy they weren't very sheer. Somewhere along the way seams were out and when pantyhose came in girdles & garter belts were out. I was glad to see the girdles go but I hung on to my garter belts for special occasions.

I haven't worn panty hose in years ~~ last ones I had ended up supporting my tomato plants.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7447 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7447 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2015 :  07:47:55 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I never mended nylons, either, but remember my mother saying they did. I never saw a kit like that, though. Great find!

I used nail polish to stop runs, too. but it didn't work that well. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Oct 19 2015 08:06:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13581 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13581 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2015 :  08:00:40 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Like Sara, I used clear nail polish to stop a run whenever it was reasonable to do so. I did wear seamed hose a few times as a teenager. . . what a challenge!! I was sooooo glad to see girdles, garter belts and the nylons you wore with them become a thing of the past!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17061 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17061 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2015 :  10:12:30 AM  Show Profile
ok, I remember.. as a young teen wearing Nylons,, and on the plus side,,, if you got a run in one leg you could save the other one to eventually match up with another orphaned nylon... then came panty hose... am I the only one who,,, when I got a run in one leg, cut the leg off of the panty part,, save the other side/panty and then down the road when I got a run in the next pair did the same... so on desperate occasions I would be wearing 2 'panties' w/ separate legs,,, which was quit the trick when you had to go "powder your nose"... lol! but that was being frugal.. I have not worn a pair of panty hose in about a year...(at a Wedding)... but I still keep a few pair,,, just in case... and Yep... great for tiring up tomatoes and Dhalias... lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17061 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17061 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2015 :  10:14:57 AM  Show Profile
oh and yep,,, I remember both my mother and grandmother having their Nylons in small flat hanky type boxes wrapped in tissue,,, in fact if you look at old 1940- to early 60's magazines... it is trippy to see all the cute ads for Nylons....

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Who Knew!... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page