MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6705 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6705 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2023 :  2:59:46 PM  Show Profile
How are everyone's badges coming along? I have a couple that I need to apply for. I haven't kept up with my goal very well, but I still have hopes to get at least 12 done by the end of the year. Right now I am currently working on my expert level UFO badge. This badge has really helped me keep up on my UFOs and not start any new ones. I am pretty sure there are a couple more badges I can work on now that my garden is growing. I will have to look through the book again.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1421 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1421 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2023 :  6:23:48 PM  Show Profile
I’m so behind on applying for badges, Krista. I have quite a few that I just need to finish up a couple of things. It’s on my weekly to do and never gets done! Lol

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2994 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2994 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2023 :  12:53:45 PM  Show Profile
Same here. There are just not enough hours in the day LOL!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6705 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6705 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2023 :  11:47:31 AM  Show Profile
We are like 3 peas in the pod lol! I swear every time I have a moment something comes up. I really need to make it my goal to submit at least one this week. The kids baseball is almost over. Once that is done, I will have a little more time again. Lets all make a goal to get one submitted this week?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2994 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2994 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2023 :  1:13:23 PM  Show Profile
I'll do my best LOL!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2994 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2994 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2023 :  1:19:24 PM  Show Profile
I'll do my best LOL!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6705 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6705 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2023 :  2:28:00 PM  Show Profile
Sounds great Heather!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1615 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1615 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2023 :  11:29:27 AM  Show Profile
I really need to get on mine. Now I just need to make time.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart
"Smile and be yourself everyday."
Sister #8572 6/9/2023

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6705 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6705 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2023 :  4:05:12 PM  Show Profile
I applied for 2 badges today! I applied for the UFO intermediate level and the beginner level quilling. Feels good to finally have that done. Now I will look through the book and see if I have any more I can apply for. I am still working on the UFO expert level badge. I have 9 hours of my 30 completed. But with those 9 hours I have finished 4 projects and almost one more.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2023 :  6:19:32 PM  Show Profile
Krista,

Great Job! I am working on my UFOs also...I finally finished a set of curtains for my Grandson's nursery. Sadly, they were supposed to have been completed a couple of years ago for his older sister's room, but they are enjoying them just the same! Why did I wait so long to get them finished?

Keep up the good work...it's surprising how little time it actually takes to finish up a project. I sometimes wonder what got in the way of finishing it in the first place.

Nancy 8352
Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Jill
Saanichton British Columbia
Canada
712 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2023 :  11:35:14 AM  Show Profile
Great job, Krista and Nancy. I did the beginner level of the UFO badge ages ago. I really should do it again and see what I have to do.

I know I've mentioned working on the Origami badge. Well, I bought some origami paper and planned to get started. Periodically, I thought I would try but couldn't find the paper. I just found it, tucked inside my MJF badge binder!!!

Jill
Farmgirl #6748

"When life gets super crazy, do your art. It helps you remember the exquisite, imaginary, delightful, lovely side of what is otherwise sometimes a bit much" Sylvia Olsen
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6705 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6705 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2023 :  1:44:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Nancy. I was thinking the same thing with my most recent UFO. It only needed some eyes, eyebrows, and stuffing. I can't believe it took me over a year to even finish it. And I couldn't tell you what stopped me either. Keep up your great work.

Thanks Jill. Ha ha your paper was in a safe place. Don't you hate when that happens. I do it all the time. Are you starting your origami badge now?

Krista

Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Jill
Canada
712 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2023 :  1:57:01 PM  Show Profile
One of my big UFOs is to complete my homework for my Level 4 Spinning course (I've done the Level 5 class work). I had to get an extension due to life being chaotic. My goal is to have that homework finished by the end of July, then in August I want to focus on dyeing and maybe other odds and ends including Origami, assorted UFOs, painting a couple of rooms etc., then start the Level 5 homework in September.

Jill
Farmgirl #6748

"When life gets super crazy, do your art. It helps you remember the exquisite, imaginary, delightful, lovely side of what is otherwise sometimes a bit much" Sylvia Olsen

Edited by - jillyd on Jul 03 2023 1:58:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2023 :  7:48:32 PM  Show Profile
Go, Jill! Get those things done! It is such an energizer to get old projects finished! I am amazed at the number of unfinished things that I have found while organizing my craft space...I have had to set up a box just for UFOs...very sad that they have been taking up space when I had been so eager to get them going in the first place! well, no looking back! Forge ahead Sisters!

Nancy 8352
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6705 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6705 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2023 :  11:03:11 AM  Show Profile
Jill, that is awesome! I hope everything works out according to plan for you.

Nancy, I know exactly what you mean. I feel the same way.

I think I want to work on the recipe badge next. I would love to get all my recipes organized and in one place.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6705 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6705 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2023 :  2:07:52 PM  Show Profile
I applied for my Beginner Lost Art of Letter Writing badge today. I had completely forgotten all about this badge. I haven't printed off the new book pages yet. I better get them printed!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Jill
Canada
712 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2023 :  7:33:38 PM  Show Profile
Excellent, Krista!! That sounds like a fun one. I used to love writing letters. As a kid, I had several pen pals.

Jill
Farmgirl #6748

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6705 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6705 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2023 :  3:18:48 PM  Show Profile
Jill, I am wanting to move onto the intermediate level, but I need to read a book. I have searched my library and they didn't have any of the options. I will probably end up ordering one. I had one pen pal growing up that lived overseas. It was a fun experience.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Jill
Canada
712 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2023 :  12:39:32 PM  Show Profile
Krista, I was curious and checked my library. It has two different ones, maybe they would be available. "To the Letter: A Celebration of the Lost Art of Letter Writing" by Simon Garfield and "For the Love of Letters: A 21st Century Guide to the Art of Letter Writing" by Samara O'Shea. I don't know if your library does inter-library loans, but that might be a good option. I can request books from just about any library in BC. Takes a bit of time for them to arrive but.... Good luck!

Jill
Farmgirl #6748

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6705 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6705 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2023 :  4:13:28 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the information Jill! I will look and see if my library has those. I will also look into the inter-library loans.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

shennandoah
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Shennandoah
La Vernia TX
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2023 :  2:10:00 PM  Show Profile
Hey all! I am reaching out to get some insight as to when/how frequently we should expect to receive the emails with the award badges in them? My daughter and I were both awarded badges in the chat but haven't received the email with the badges. I emailed the office but haven't gotten a response. Just want to manage our expectations or find out if there was something we need to do. Thanks in advance for your help!!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2023 :  7:47:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi Shennandoah. I usually get to the badges every weekend for approval and sometimes in between, but in the summer my work load is greater than in the winter. I love reading them though! They are the highlight of my day.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

181 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
181 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2023 :  7:08:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Girls!

I applied for four badges in July. They have shown up on the Merit Badge chat, but I have not received the awards in my E-mail. I have received other E-mails from the Farm, but not those. I E-mailed Ashley, but have not received a response. What am I doing wrong? I know that she would have responded had she received my questions. Maybe I will try calling.

Nancy 8352
Go to Top of Page

shennandoah
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Shennandoah
La Vernia TX
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2023 :  5:23:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Mary Jane! I got a batch of them this last weekend. I definitely understand workloads fluctuating. I wanted to let me family (especially my daughter) know what to expect. I got them all signed up (daughter, mom, sister).

I have been working on another one - Furniture makeover intermediate. Scored this great find on Facebook. A vintage (almost antique) Tell City solid maple rocker. I was able to get it for $125 (online search showed Tell City Rocking chairs selling for $350-$650 so score!!). The ends of the feet and the arms were pretty worn. It needed some TLC. It came with some ratty old denim cushions that had stains and were lumpy. Here are the before pics:

I didn't want to risk stripping the wood and matching the stain. So I used some Fusion Furniture wax made with beeswax and hemp oil and polished and waxed the wood till it was good and conditioned and the scratched and faded sections blended in. My mother helped me deconstruct and reverse engineer the cushions. I got some 3" foam for the seat and batting for the back cushion, and some cotton canvas upholstery material. My mother talked me through the steps (she's taking upholstery classes). I learned to make cording, a zipper, and to make straps with snaps for the back piece. It turned out great!! So comfy and looks almost new. Its my new knitting rocker :-)
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2023 :  6:56:17 PM  Show Profile
That is a beautiful job on the rocker!

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
FGOTM August 2022
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Merit Badge Chit Chat:  Just a bit of merit badge chit chat Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page