melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3308 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3308 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2015 :  9:34:48 PM  Show Profile

This is an old photo of Truman-He is almost all white around his face and he's lost a lot of weight.

On Monday we took our Jack Russell, Truman to the vet. He's been drinking excessive amounts of water for several months and for the last couple of weeks barking very, very late in the evening to be let outside. I did some research and thought it might be diabetes and I was right. He is very ill with indications of kidney and liver damage as well as an extremely high white blood cell count which could be more than a UTI that would involve his kidneys.... and after discussing what it would entail to keep the diabetes in check which would include multiple insulin shots during the day as well as constant monitoring of this debilitating disease we decided it was best to put him to sleep while he still had a somewhat comfortable yet tolerable state of life. It was not an easy decision to make. He's eleven years old. He has been a very important part of our lives and the kids have grown up with him. He is part of our family. We are devastated, but know we are doing the right thing at the right time. We watched our cat Tibbits go through a progressive illness and kept her longer than we should have. We decided we would not put Truman through such a devastating and intense illness. He sleeps most of the time-gets up to drink and in the last couple of days lost his appetite. We will say our final goodbyes on Saturday morning. He's been faithful and true and he had a good long 'run' with us. He will be missed.

Melody

Edited by - melody on Dec 10 2015 09:43:32 AM

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17061 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17061 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2015 :  10:16:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh Melody,,, my heart goes out to you...
This is not an easy decision... we want to hold onto our beloved fur kids forever... but alas... we have to do what is best for them,,, even thou it breaks our hearts.
Hugz to Truman, to you, to your family...
Wrapping you in hugz.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2015 :  10:45:19 PM  Show Profile
:'( my heart too hurts for you! Doing what is best for our furbabies, and breaking our own hearts in the process, is so hard! Praying for comfort in the days to come!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2015 :  11:54:20 PM  Show Profile
Melody...it is the hardest part about loving a furbaby. Their unconditional love and loyalty is
so precious. My heart goes out to you and your family. I have had to make that same hard decision
a couple of times and it is just too too hard. My prayers are with you all!

Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6829 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6829 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2015 :  04:13:27 AM  Show Profile
Melody, I'm so sorry and I know how hard it was for you to let him go. Sometimes the last and best thing we can do for our pets is to let them go in peace.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6534 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6534 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2015 :  05:11:47 AM  Show Profile
Oh Melody, I am so sorry about losing Truman, It is so very hard to say goodbye to our beloved fur friends. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers as I know how tough these first few weeks can be without your sweet friend.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2213 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2213 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2015 :  07:27:10 AM  Show Profile
Hold him a lot these last few days. My prayers for your family

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Doxie Mom - Everyone loves a Weiner!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2015 :  08:09:22 AM  Show Profile
He is a handsome and perky looking fellow -- he got lucky when he got you as his people. Lots of us have had to make these decisions, and it isn't easy, for sure. I hope you will all be comforted by 11 years of good memories of your sweet little guy. He won't ever be gone from your hearts. Thank you for being so thoughtful and considerate of his poor little body.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3308 Posts

Melody
USA
3308 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2015 :  08:11:48 AM  Show Profile
He pretty much has rule of the roost--I'm letting him have his treats and brought down my daughters old comforter that he has reclaimed in the living room. He sleeps a lot. I don't know but I think he suspects something is up. We sit on the floor with him like the old days and he saunters on over wagging his tail. I had a long conversation with him explaining that he will be going to sleep for a good long time and you know he actually winked at me. Bruce taught him that a long time ago. It's so sad--I've been crumbling every day since we found out. Today, he gets a final grooming at our favorite groomers-they do that free of charge when they know a pet will be put down so he will be nice and clean when he goes. It's heart wrenching even for an old bird like me-I don't usually display emotion but I don't seem to have any control. Thanks so much ladies for all the support-it really does help.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2015 :  08:52:35 AM  Show Profile
Melody, I am so sorry to hear your sad news. We have Lab brothers almost 12 years old and one has been diabetic since March, two shots a day and he is doing well but I know that at his age the time is not far off. His brother had his tongue removed due to cancer 6 years ago and he too has done well but now his hips are giving him much trouble and he has days where he seems very confused. I can't imagine one without the other so it is going to be really hard when the time comes. It is the right thing to do but it just sucks!!! Prayers for your family and precious Truman.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2015 :  09:02:14 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Melody, I am sorry you had to make this decision. I, too, have a dog that has diabetes. The vet told me that her liver was shot and she had an extremely bad case and probably wouldn't live more than six months. But I couldn't let her go. I made the decision to give her shots twice a day and it made all the difference. She has had it for 3 years now and is still going strong at 15 1/2 years old. It is a huge commitment to give a dog a shot twice a day not to mention the cost. I am sending prayers to Truman and your whole family. God Bless.

Julie
Farmgirl #399
May 2010 Farmgirl of the Month

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog ... Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3308 Posts

Melody
USA
3308 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2015 :  09:42:31 AM  Show Profile
I think a major factor in our decision was when we watched our beloved cat Tibbets go through a terrible disease--she was only about 5 pounds when we finally forced ourselves to have her put to sleep. This was three years ago--We agreed we would never extend our pets lives beyond their quality of life. Putting down our cat was the hardest thing I've ever done. Truman is suffering but still has moments of his old self-We want to remember him the way he is now. I think he knows this-he's been so good and quiet these last few days-very tired. Right now he is resting near the wood stove waiting for my daughter Hannah to come home to say goodbye.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13584 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13584 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2015 :  4:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Oh, Mel . . . I'm sooooo sorry! Sending you hugs, love and prayers!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2015 :  7:34:55 PM  Show Profile
What a sad time in your life. Consider yourself wrapped in prayer.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1628 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1628 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2015 :  8:53:27 PM  Show Profile
So sorry Melody.It is so hard to let go of our furbabies. They are part of the family. Hugs and prayers for you, your family and Truman.

Hugs,
Laurie
Country girl at heart
"Smile and be yourself everyday."

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9268 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9268 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2015 :  06:44:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh Melody, I know exactly what you are going through. On the day you posted this we had to say goodbye to our girl. She had the same issues. Weight loss extremely quickly, excessive drinking of water. Loss of appetite. I wondered about diabetes as well. We made the hard decision to put her to sleep and it broke my heart. She was a Boston terrier we'd had since she was 8 wks. And she just turned 13.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9268 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9268 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2015 :  06:46:08 AM  Show Profile
Sending hugs and prayers to you also.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3308 Posts

Melody
USA
3308 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2015 :  07:32:34 AM  Show Profile
So sorry Denise. Tomorrow is the day. I gave him a good long bath yesterday and washed his blanket and best stuffed friend "Jerry" and those will be with him when he's buried. He's awfully quiet this morning-resting by the wood stove. My daughter came up yesterday to spend the afternoon with him. We are ready.

Thanks so much ladies for all the kind words of encouragement and sympathy. It is much appreciated.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9268 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9268 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2015 :  12:36:47 PM  Show Profile
Melody,
We buried Shelby with her blanket and stuffed animal friend too. It made me feel better and we buried her next to her older adopted sister Ruby. They are just inside a little wooded area a little way from the back door. In the Spring it is covered with daffodils and a huge white azalea. We will give her a little stone as well. It has made a huge difference in having all of this happening to do these things.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3308 Posts

Melody
USA
3308 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2015 :  10:31:47 AM  Show Profile
All finished. Truman was buried this morning with "Jerry" the giraffe and his baseball. Next spring I will plant tons of Zinnias where he is against the garage. It's very quiet here now. Everything has been put away. Thank you ladies for all the help with this. It may seem silly to some people, but I just never thought of him as a pet-more like one of the kids-Truman thought he was and behaved like a little brother. Anyway, thanks again for all the kind words.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2015 :  10:35:51 AM  Show Profile
(((hugs))) Melody! Praying for comfort!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7448 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7448 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2015 :  10:49:57 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
So sorry about Truman. Pets are Family members, too.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9268 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9268 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2015 :  11:12:30 AM  Show Profile
Oh yes Melody they are more than "just a dog" as some think. They are part of our family and if we are honest they wrap themselves right around and into our hearts. I know we did the right thing and so did you. Praying for you and enjoy all the great memories as I am sure you have many.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2015 :  11:44:03 AM  Show Profile
Oh Melody. I am so sorry that you've got to say good bye to your boy. Sending hugs and wishing comfort. It took me a while to get through the grief of losing my last dog. They stay forever in your heart. They are never just dogs. <3 With you in thought.
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2284 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2284 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2015 :  1:08:14 PM  Show Profile
Oh Mel, I am so sorry you are going through this pain. I am sending hugs.

Julie

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2015 :  07:44:48 AM  Show Profile
Oh Melody,

I am so sorry. Truman was a cutie pie! It's awful to lose a pet. Big hugs to you.

~Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Saying Goodbye to Truman Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page