guineahen
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Andrea
Hawley Pa
USA
86 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2016 :  5:05:41 PM  Show Profile
Wasn't sure where to post this. Heroin got two more in our small community yesterday-one dead, one on ventilator. We are less than three hours from NYC and I've met dealers who rode the bus up to sell here. But it is a problem everywhere. What is your community doing to fight back?

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2016 :  09:36:06 AM  Show Profile
Narcan is available to whomever wants it. It is a medication a person can give to someone in the midst of an overdose to bring them out of it. They then need to go to a hospital for stabilization. This problem is more shocking in a small town because people will be more likely to know the victims. This is all the result of the over prescription of opiate pain relievers. Many doctors believe that no one should feel pain so they will prescribe these painkillers. But the measurement of pain is an emotional measurement not a scientific one. Here in Minneapolis, we have an extensive awareness and therapy programs.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

guineahen
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Andrea
Hawley Pa
USA
86 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2016 :  5:23:25 PM  Show Profile
Yes, it bothers me that in our society we are encouraged to avoid pain. I meet a lot of people in jail who have been medicated by docs and themselves.
Go to Top of Page

KristiW
Moderator/Farmgirl True

639 Posts

Kristine
MaryJanesFarm
USA
639 Posts

Posted - May 01 2016 :  09:58:05 AM  Show Profile
It is a sad situation indeed. I am really impressed with law enforcement officials who are starting to see addiction as a medical condition instead of a criminal one, offering compassion and assistance rather than condemnation. I realize that the problem is much bigger than just being compassionate to someone, but it's a start.

Kristi
Farmgirl Sister #6

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - May 01 2016 :  12:12:37 PM  Show Profile
It is a problem in my town. I was at Walgreens one night and someone came running in, saying that someone had just overdosed on heroin in a car on the parking lot. The ambulance was there before I could leave. In fact, they blocked me in. I never heard anything more about it, just know there have been a lot of deaths from it. I will be glad when the medication I've been taking for my shoulder pain is gone, cause it's too easy to rely on it. It helps with the pain, which can be intense after rotator cuff surgery, but it also calms me and helps me sleep--not a good thing when I also suffer from anxiety attacks. My shoulder is much better but I still have a lot of pain in my bicep. Not sure why. I have been wearing sports bras ever since the surgery cause I still can't reach far enough in back to fasten a regular bra. There is pain, and there is pain that makes you unable to do basic functions. I don't ignore it cause that's how my shoulder got so bad in the first place. Got off the subject, but I guess that's how some people become addicted. You need a good doctor who won't overprescribe it.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog on Tumblr: eclecticstarlightcollectorbluff
Go to Top of Page

guineahen
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Andrea
Hawley Pa
USA
86 Posts

Posted - May 01 2016 :  12:41:11 PM  Show Profile
Yes, doctors play an important role. My brother moved here a couple of years ago, mixing vodka and oxycodin. My doc took him off the pain pills very quickly. Our Dad also took too many pain pills. So I am afraid to ever get a prescription! Thanks for the reminder that ignoring the pain can make it worse when it comes to rotor cuffs and such. The Police and others here have Narcan. It is also maybe available to the public? Last year in our town, a former user was able to administer it and save someone. The people at the party called him instead of the Police. Which makes sense when you look at it from their point of view.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - May 01 2016 :  8:57:44 PM  Show Profile
I will not take an opium-based pain reliever no matter how much I hurt. It has been prescribed for me and I have left the prescription in the office. I just do not want to start. Those medications are actually heroin in a supposedly safe form. People think it is safe because it is prescribed and it is NOT.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - May 02 2016 :  05:23:18 AM  Show Profile
Andrea, I live in Delaware, and we are plagued with drug traffic being on the I95 corrider. They run from New York down to DC and our main city of Wilmington is a major stop for these people. It's tragic and scary how heroin affects an entire community in one way or another. I don't see much being done here, although there's a lot of talk.

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

guineahen
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Andrea
Hawley Pa
USA
86 Posts

Posted - May 02 2016 :  5:56:49 PM  Show Profile
There are monthly meetings in our county run by the heroin task force. Moves to a different community each time to educate more people. I can't imagine losing a loved one to this. And Amy, yes, your area must be a prime target. I think they are just starting here to charge the dealer of an overdose victim with murder, which it is.
Go to Top of Page
  Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Heroin Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page