Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Block of the Month - Block 1 - May 2016
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Block of the Month - Block 1 - May 2016 Next Topic
Page: of 4

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 11 2016 :  09:41:51 AM  Show Profile
I love all these blocks, Julie, Marilyn and Christy! I can't wait to do my own! From bold prints to soft our choices are so telling. Yes, it is wonderful how sometimes our fabric remnants seem to speak to us. I get so nostalgic sometimes.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - May 11 2016 :  2:22:02 PM  Show Profile
I know you ladies are all quilters, and I gave up long ago trying to be good at piecing. Its actually comical, how crooked, mis-matched and not square my attempts always turn out! Ah, well, 'tis good to be able to laugh at oneself!

Words of advice are always welcomed!
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7450 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7450 Posts

Posted - May 11 2016 :  2:26:49 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Great job, Sara! Glad you joined us. I love your blocks - especially the first one.You did great on both. Your points match up well. They look pretty square, to me.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

NikisMom
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Framingham MA
140 Posts

Posted - May 11 2016 :  4:00:24 PM  Show Profile
Wow, love the colors and patterns Marilyn and Christy! It is so interesting to see each person selections of fabrics. Sara, your blocks look good to me. I really like how your middle row pops. I know I ripped out a row and reseed because my points didn't line up. #9786;
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - May 11 2016 :  4:48:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Julie. I don't know why, but I don't think about ripping out seams, I just laugh!
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - May 15 2016 :  07:01:42 AM  Show Profile
I did it! I made my first quilt blocks! This is something I've wanted to try forever, and am so grateful for this BOM to finally get me going. It's amazing how nervous I was about it. I think nothing if going to the machine to make a prom dress, but this scared me silly! They're not perfect, but I'm excited to have conquered my fears. This is so much fun! Thanks for creating this opportunity, Linda!

Hugs and Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7450 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7450 Posts

Posted - May 15 2016 :  08:09:20 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
great looking blocks, Amy! I'm so glad you joined in on this BOM project. Sometimes all it takes to learn a new project is a little push.

You, and others, can use this as part of your MJF Beginner Level Quilting Merit Badge.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7450 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7450 Posts

Posted - May 15 2016 :  08:10:45 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Julie - I've ripped out many seams and resewed because I didn't like how they looked. That's just part of the process sometimes. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - May 15 2016 :  12:06:00 PM  Show Profile
Amy I am very impressed! I especially appreciate your attention to line within your prints. This is something I will focus on for my next blocks.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7450 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7450 Posts

Posted - May 15 2016 :  2:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Juanita -

Glad to have you with us!

All you need to do it just start making the blocks! You keep what you make and can make all or none of them each month. Please post your blocks so all can ooh and aah over them. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 15 2016 :  3:56:21 PM  Show Profile
Sara and Amy, your blocks are beautiful! Let's hope this week is a little less crazy...and I can get to ming!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

NikisMom
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Framingham MA
140 Posts

Posted - May 16 2016 :  07:31:12 AM  Show Profile
Amy, what beautiful colors, reminds me of spring. Love how your bow tie pops.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7450 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7450 Posts

Posted - May 16 2016 :  08:33:36 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Sara -
Good point about "watching your lines". When making quilt blocks, there are some blocks that just don't work with stripes or plaids in your fabrics. Sometimes you might have to "fussy cut" your pieces to get strips and plaids to line up properly in a block. Fussy cutting is when you cut your blocks to get a specific pattern or picture in the fabric to be in the center of a block or lined up in a good way for your block. Often a stripe may have to be cut so it is diagonally in a square to work out with a specific block pattern.

Amy - you lined up your stripes in both blocks very well. Great job!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - May 16 2016 :  08:56:26 AM  Show Profile
Ok now Linda, you made me realize what my hang up with quilting has been about all these years. I've been quilting like my 3 yr old grandson colors---with childlike abandon for the outcome, and absolute passion for the process. Now that you have verbalized the lesson I need to work on I feel very challenged to grow up and learn some REAL quilting skills!! Thank you !! Those are exactly the kind of "words of advice" I was looking for!

Sara
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7450 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7450 Posts

Posted - May 16 2016 :  09:06:59 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
LOL! I am trying to provide "insight" into some aspects of quilting for those who are new to the craft. I'm happy they are being helpful to you and others.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - May 17 2016 :  07:38:29 AM  Show Profile
It was funny, last Tuesday Hadlee and I drove to Glen Rose to help a friend. While I was drawing the pictures she needed, she got out her quilting rulers and measured my blocks. Wow, that was an eye opener.It is amazing that if you cut 1/3" too much...It does not fit correctly. I will admit I cut the pieces for a couple of blocks at 1:00am in dim light...never again. What a wreck. But she was kind and seeing I had already rescued one, she told me to go on and continue. It is a kids quilt, so hopefully they will like my pattern, as long as it comes out right in the end.

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7450 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7450 Posts

Posted - May 17 2016 :  3:16:13 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Oh, yeah, Marilyn! Measurements are very important when making quilt blocks. And so are your 1/4" seam allowances. All the blocks in a quilt have to be the same size - or a smaller multiple of the largest size. LOL! If you are working with 12" Finished blocks, they are 12-1/2" with the added seam allowances. Other blocks that you can use, depending on the placement, would be 3-1/2", 4-1/2", and 6-1/2" (all unfinished sizes).

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - May 17 2016 :  8:59:02 PM  Show Profile
I think it was the blocks that were 4 & 7/8" or 3 & 7/8" that tripped me up.

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.
Go to Top of Page

Christy925
True Blue Farmgirl

476 Posts

Christy
Midland Michigan
USA
476 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  03:03:49 AM  Show Profile
I haven't been able to start yet :( Maybe this weekend. I'm anxious. Every one is looking great!

Farmgirl Sister #2315
http://www.etsy.com/shop/WildThymeCreations?ref=pr_shop
https://www.flickr.com/photos/marketwoman45/albums
Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  05:44:40 AM  Show Profile
Marilyn
the 4 7/8 and 3 7/8 blocks always mess me up.

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

NikisMom
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Framingham MA
140 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  06:27:31 AM  Show Profile
I agree Marilyn and Denise Ann. I tripled check as it seemed to me an odd size. Always amazed how it all comes together.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7450 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7450 Posts

Posted - May 18 2016 :  08:31:37 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
LOL! The 4-7/8 and 3-7/8 -- well, really any of the 7/8" blocks, are usually because you have to add 3/8" to the finished block size you are using to make the proper half-square triangle size when making them out of 2 squares the way I told you to do. AND in the cases of these square sizes, I almost always make the blocks 1/8" larger - to the whole inch size, make the half square triangle blocks, press them, and then trim them down to the proper size. Now I've probably confused EVERYone! LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

jillyd
True Blue Farmgirl

715 Posts

Jill
Saanichton British Columbia
Canada
715 Posts

Posted - May 20 2016 :  09:29:34 AM  Show Profile
Well, I finished my first block. It was more challenging than I had expected. I had to unpick several times and one corner still isn't quite right. But I think I will go on and try the second pattern. I'm really liking the challenge of learning something new. Thank you for getting this started.

Jill
Farmgirl #6748
Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - May 20 2016 :  6:27:52 PM  Show Profile
Sara I love your blocks! Mine are far from perfect, but we notice our own flaws more than others. I always remind myself nothing in nature is perfect. Also if I whine enough about the mistake I make my sister will sometime fix it for me :)
Amy, I love your blocks!! So cute.
Jill I love the colors and the sunflowers!
So fun to everyone's blocks!
Thanks Linda for organizing this BOM

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7450 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7450 Posts

Posted - May 21 2016 :  12:29:41 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Love the blocks Sara and Amy. Good jobs!!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Block of the Month - Block 1 - May 2016 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page