RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2017 :  3:45:52 PM  Show Profile
On my Kindle, I'm reading Underground in Berlin by Marie Jalowicz Simon. After that is John Steinbeck's East of Eden (at my brother's urging).

Below is my physical books to-be-read shelf. Other than Barnheart by Jenna Woginrich - which is one of my favorite books of all time so I finally bought a physical copy - and Thornton Wilder's "Our Town" - which I've read a million times and will love forever - I've got a lot to read!

Farmgirl Sister #127
My blog: http://14thandoak.com
Go to Top of Page

MailLady
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2017 :  4:21:39 PM  Show Profile
I love all the Jewish books you have. I am now reading "Lift and Separate" a novel written by a Jewish friend :).

Here is one of my book cabinets. Excuse the mess, I was going through to donate to the library sale :).

Christine #7397
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2017 :  9:01:05 PM  Show Profile
I tend to buy a lot of books for my grand kids and great-grand kids. Not sure what took me so long. I finally ordered children's books (3 of them) written and illustrated by our own Marilyn Robinson Godfrey aka TexasGran. The books arrived Monday. I have read them thru twice. They are adorable books for I think infant through pre-k. My husband enjoyed them so much. He has offered to buy a set for each of our great-grands. (We have 5) Our grands are really great about reading to their kids from the time they are born. Yay! I will just let him do that! I purchased them through Amazon. So, check them out.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon

Edited by - forgetmenot on Jul 04 2017 9:02:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2017 :  08:29:26 AM  Show Profile
Oh, my gosh. I looked up "Lift and Separate" and I HAVE to buy it!! It looks really, really good!!!!

I have a lot of Jewish books because I'm a recent convert to Judaism and can't read enough about my new path.

quote:
Originally posted by MailLady

I love all the Jewish books you have. I am now reading "Lift and Separate" a novel written by a Jewish friend :).

Here is one of my book cabinets. Excuse the mess, I was going through to donate to the library sale :).

Christine #7397

Farmgirl Sister #127
My blog: http://14thandoak.com
Go to Top of Page

blessedhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Tina
West Virginia
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2017 :  8:19:08 PM  Show Profile
Valley of the Shadow by Stephanie Grace Whitson
For the Love of Christian Homemaking by Mrs. Sharon White

~Tina

My main blog~ http://frontierhome.blogspot.com

My food blog~
http://mysimplenorthernkitchen.blogspot.com

Psalm 62:5~ Find rest, O my soul, In God alone; my hope comes from him.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2017 :  03:53:04 AM  Show Profile
Brides of Montclair series by Jane Pearl, starting # 6 today.

Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2017 :  08:50:02 AM  Show Profile
I am reading The Last Silk Dress by Ann Rinaldi. It is a coming of age story about a girl in Richmond, VA during the Civil Ware who gathers silk dresses to make a reconnaissance balloon for the South.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2017 :  08:48:45 AM  Show Profile
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society---British after WWII Love it so far....

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Back Door Farm Girls Chapter
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/Vintagehousegoods
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1414 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1414 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2017 :  9:56:17 PM  Show Profile
On a snowy night by Debbie Macomber

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2018 :  07:47:39 AM  Show Profile
I loved "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society". Just finished "My Life on the Road" by Gloria Steinem, must say it was not what I expected. I thought it would be dry and dull, but it was an informative, eye-opener in some instances. I started school in 1958 and finished in 1970, so I grew up with all of what she wrote about, but it was on the edge of my consciousness, I was busy doing what was expected of me. I do credit the Feminist Movement and the Civil Rights Movement for opening job opportunities for me. I left a $7.25 per hour typist job for a $9.25 industrial job, with the same company and was making $23.00 an hour when I took severance 20 years later. Not bad for a GED diploma and being a girl.

Find something to smile about every day. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2018 :  5:08:49 PM  Show Profile
Just finished The Sisters of Glass Ferry

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

etcharb
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Eileen
Holden MA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2018 :  10:35:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! I'm new to this chat thread, but I wanted to get in on it for a couple of reasons. #1 - I LOVE books! Reading is a true passion for me. I usually have several books going at once. Right now I'm reading A Hundred Kisses by Jean M. Grant, A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah and The Irish Bridget: Irish Immigrant Women in Domestic Service in America, 1840-1930 by Margaret Lynch-Brennan. That last one is part of my #2 reason for posting here. I'm reading it as part of my research for the sequel to the novel I just had published by BWL Publishing, Inc. My novel, Kelegeen, was released on March 1, 2018. It is set in Ireland during the Pototo Famine and is available on Amazon, B&N and several other digital and app outlets. You will also see an advertisement for it in the next issue of MaryJane's Farm. I'm really excited to see it advertised in the magazine.

I had to use a pen name (Eileen O'Finlan) because there is another author of historical fiction who has the same name as me (Eileen Charbonneau) and who is published by the same publishing company. So to avoid confusion I use a pen name. The "other" Eileen is a fabulous author and I highly recommend her books. Her most recent are the first two in her Code Talker Chronicles, I'll Be Seeing You and Watch Over Me. In fact, Watch Over Me just won a Chanticleer award.

Eileen

https://www.eileenofinlan.com/
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2018 :  1:32:01 PM  Show Profile
I enjoyed the book, The Mushroom Hunters, a non-fiction about the mushroom industry in the Pacific Northwest and the "camps" that are in the forests with workers from China. It chronicles the good, bad and the ugly about hunting mushrooms. I can't remember the author. It was published a few years ago but was an excellent read and opened my eyes to yet more hidden facts about our food procurement for restaurants and wild food foragers. And I thought huckleberry picking was territorial, whew!!! Crazy stuff.

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2018 :  1:49:21 PM  Show Profile
Some more books I really enjoyed are Tree: A Life Story by David Suzuki and Wayne Grady. This gives science facts about trees and their amazing chemical capacities. The movie Avatar uses some of the science in their tree and plant scenarios. I started talking to the trees and bushes again after reading this book. (Their aura, my aura, chemical and energy frequency stuff) Studies having plants in one room down the hall showed measurable reactions of plants in another room when harm on the down the hall plants was done. Chemicals travel in the roots to other trees and bushes to even species not related to warn of harm or insect damage across considerable distance. It is really an interesting read. Another book is The Thing with Feathers by Noah Strycker. This highlights birds and the connection with humanity. Again lots of fun facts! The bird photo are Cedar Waxwings. Enjoy! Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9247 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9247 Posts

Posted - May 01 2018 :  5:57:06 PM  Show Profile
I have been reading a wonderful book by Gillian Gill called "We Two'. It is about Victoria and Albert and their life together. It is very good and well researched.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007
FGOTM~7/2013
"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1753 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1753 Posts

Posted - May 02 2018 :  2:45:38 PM  Show Profile
the masterpiece by Francine rivers. good.

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 02 2018 :  4:02:14 PM  Show Profile
Eileen, I just finished reading your novel "Kelegeen". Of course, I had always heard of the potato famine. Your story just broke my heart! How did I not know how devastating this was and how strong these people were through it all. Your writing technique made me feel like I was living through this with the families. I can't wait for your sequel! Thank you for an excellent read!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

etcharb
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Eileen
Holden MA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - May 05 2018 :  7:32:24 PM  Show Profile
Judith, thank so much for your kind words about Kelegeen. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Your comments are typical of what I'm hearing from so many. People are vaugley aware of the Irish Potato Famine, but not in any real depth (except for the Irish themselves, of course) and are amazed to learn just how devastating it really was. I am working on the research for the sequel now. The research on the Irish immigrant experience is fascinating. One surprising aspect is how closely it resembles that of today's immigrants from South American countries. History indeed repeats itself.

Eileen

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - May 05 2018 :  8:40:05 PM  Show Profile
Oh wow Eileen, I will have to get your novel. I have Irish roots on my mother's side. My 2nd great grandparents migrated to the US separately and first met each other during that time in NYC, married in 1853 and settled in Kansas. To read your novel would be like seeing their time in person I would presume. Thanks for letting us know about your book.

TW

The fun begins where the sidewalk ends. Shel Silverstein
Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - May 06 2018 :  4:08:57 PM  Show Profile
I'm reading "My Grandmother Told Me To Say She's Sorry", cute so far.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
http://firecatinc.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Rae
MN
1497 Posts

Posted - May 07 2018 :  03:10:58 AM  Show Profile
Just finished A Breath of Hope by Lauraine Snelling, enjoyed it!!

Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

etcharb
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Eileen
Holden MA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - May 07 2018 :  08:26:34 AM  Show Profile
TW, yes, if your ancestors arrived here from Ireland anytime during or shortly after the famine years (1845-1851) they definitely endured the type of ordeal represented in Kelegeen. Reading it might be a window into what their lives were like and what drove them to leave Ireland in search of a better life. The Irish who endured that famine were resourceful, resilient, faith-filled people who lived very close to the land. My Irish ancestors came to this country during the famine and I am proud to have come from their stock!

Eileen

Go to Top of Page

etcharb
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Eileen
Holden MA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - May 07 2018 :  08:34:32 AM  Show Profile
Judith, thank you so much for your great review of Kelegeen on Amazon. Please folks - if you read a book you really like and you have an Amazon account, do consider posting a review. It doesn't have to be long, just a sentence or two will do. These reviews are especially important for authors, particularly new authors who are trying to get their work known to the public. Each book needs a minimum of 12 reviews to be placed in Amazon's Reader Recommendations program which really helps to boost reader awareness of the book. Reviews on other sites such as Goodreads, Barnesandnoble.com, Kobo, Smashwords, etc. are welcome, too, but Amazon is the biggest player in the market right now so that's the most important one for authors. One caveat - if you know the author personally, do not mention that in your review or Amazon will not allow your review to be posted. On behalf of all authors everywhere - thank you for helping us every time you post a review!

Eileen

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - May 09 2018 :  6:07:52 PM  Show Profile
I am so excited. My book order of Kelegeen came in today. Thanks Eileen, I am like you very proud of my ancestors. I grew up knowing nothing because Mom just didn't care about that stuff. Started an account at Ancestory and discover although I knew we were of Irish roots didn't know how much. I have roots on both sides of my mother's side. Both set of her greats were born in Ireland. My father's side came here in the 1600s and fought in the Revolutionary War. I personally find Ancestory facinating. I also found out my BFF are I think 5th cousins.

Well my plans for the weekend are set, a pot of tea and a good book.

TW

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - May 09 2018 :  6:25:31 PM  Show Profile
Let me test my Gaelic. Is the main charactor's name pronounced "Shovan"? (Siobhan)

TW

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Reading Room:  What's Everyone Reading? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page