ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4714 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4714 Posts

Posted - May 10 2018 :  04:18:15 AM  Show Profile
I'm all caught up on the different series of books I read by Alan Bradley, Rhys Bowen, Jan Karon, Terry Brooks, Anne Perry (well really, can anyone be caught up with Anne Perry?) so I decided to read a brand new author who is from Italy. His first book is called "Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Seal Lions." It is terrific and I'm almost to the end. Really fun story with an interesting murder mystery to solve. I do hope the author, Mario Giordano will continue to write more books.

Happy reading everyone!
Dawn in IL

April is a promise that May is bound to keep.

Edited by - ddmashayekhi on May 10 2018 11:18:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

etcharb
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Eileen
Holden MA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - May 10 2018 :  06:24:16 AM  Show Profile
TW, "Shi-VAWN" is the correct pronunciation, but "Shovan" is pretty close to that so, you're right.

I recently did the Ancestry DNA test. As expected I'm loaded with Celtic DNA, but there were some others that I didn't expect and a few I did expect to see didn't show up at all. For example, my mom is half Irish and half German, but the German didn't register on my DNA results. I'm told it's sort of like genes. Two sisters have the same parents, but because of whichever genes each inherits they may get different eye color, hair color, etc. DNA works in a similar way, or so I'm told. So my sister could take the DNA test and have different results than mine. I think she did order the kit to do it. It will be interesting to compare our results.

I hope you enjoy the book.

Eileen

https://www.eileenofinlan.com/
Go to Top of Page

etcharb
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Eileen
Holden MA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - May 10 2018 :  07:10:59 AM  Show Profile
I just finished reading A Hundred Kisses by Jean M. Grant. It was excellent. Set in Scotland in the 1200s - part romance, part adventure with some great plot twists.

Now I'm on to Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman.

Eileen

Go to Top of Page

DesignsByJennMiller
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Jennifer
marlin Washington
USA
50 Posts

Posted - May 10 2018 :  3:20:10 PM  Show Profile
I just finished reading "The Revenant" by Michael Punke https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Revenant_(novel)

Omgosh it was so good, it kept me on the edge of my seat and all I wanted to do was finish it. I have a subscription to Audible and I saw and loved the movie. However, the book is quite a bit different and in this case both the movie and book are equally great even if they are different. I love that this was pretty much a true story and Hugh Glass was such an amazing man! To live through all of that....wow.

Right now I am re-reading the Maze Runner books and for YA books darn, are they good!

I am such a book nerd, I have several hundred books not counting Audible ones or ones on my Kindle. Someday I'd like to convert my computer room to a library but I am afraid my manufactured house floor can not support that much weight.

This right here is pretty much my baby, 1st Edition Jurassic Park NEVER even opened to be read the binding is still so stiff. I found it at Goodwill for $1!

I think that maybe someone had passed away and relatives didn't want their books because that day I got about 20 first editions from Stephen King, Anne Rice, and Michael Crichton. Jurassic Park is one of my all time favorites and one of the first books I bought with my own hard earned babysitting money!

Jenn M.
FarmGirl Sisterhood #6804
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DesignsByJennMiller

Edited by - DesignsByJennMiller on May 10 2018 3:31:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

etcharb
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Eileen
Holden MA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - May 28 2018 :  5:36:54 PM  Show Profile
I finished Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman. It was the first Hoffman book that I've read. It was a fun read. You do have to suspend your disbelief to enjoy it, but I have no problem doing that. I'm glad a chapter from the Prequel was included at the end of the book because I now know I want to read that one, too.

Reading through this thread has convinced me to try the Outlander series. I just got the first book. I was all set to read it as soon as I finished Practical Magic, but that's when a co-worker loaned me a book she thought I would like called The Secret Scripture. It's much shorter than Outlander so I decided to read it first so I can return it to her. It was just a little bit difficult to get into, but before long I was hooked. A very different, but very good book. Speaking of different, but good books, has anyone else read Lincoln in the Bardo? Excellent book unlike anything I've ever read. I just saw where it's listed as up for the All Time Best of the Man Booker Awards.

Thanks so much to all of you who have read my novel, Kelegeen, and posted reviews on Amazon! Those reviews are a tremendous help.

Eileen

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2018 :  4:09:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Eileen
I am up to chapter 10 in Kelegeen and LOVE,LOVE,LOVE it. I would have been farther along but I had crochet projects to get done. This coming week we will be on vacation. We are visiting Mother in law in Ft. Worth then driving to East Texas to,seek for property to retire. Hubby doesn't like to talk while driving so I will be able to escape into your book! Yipee! Told my friend about it. She has the same history with her Grands. Thanks for writing this book.

TW

The fun begins where the sidewalk ends. Shel Silverstein
Go to Top of Page

etcharb
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Eileen
Holden MA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2018 :  07:40:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi TW - I'm so glad you are enjoying Kelegeen. Thanks for telling your friend about it, too.

Eileen

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4714 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4714 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2018 :  08:40:47 AM  Show Profile
I just finished "The Bear and the Nightingale" by Katherine Arden and am now reading her second book for this trilogy, "The Girl in the Tower". Both are great and is a mix of Russian folklore and the authors take on the stories.

Keep reading & happy summer!
Dawn in IL

Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2018 :  4:34:32 PM  Show Profile
Hello Sisters,
Wanted to jump in here and pass on a good read. "Before We Were Yours" by Lisa Wingate. It's a historical fiction based on true events here in the U.S.. It revolves around past and present events of the Tennessee Orphan Society. Heartbreaking but good,
Kem I second the book" A Man Called Ove ."
Hugs Karla

FGOM March 2018

I dusted once, it came back. I'm not falling for that again.
Go to Top of Page

etcharb
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Eileen
Holden MA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2018 :  6:29:22 PM  Show Profile
Dawn, have you ever read "The Snow Child" by Eowyn Ivey? It's set in 1920s Alaska and it, too, is something of an adaptation of a Russian folktale. It's a fascinating story.

Karla, "Before We Were Yours" has been on my "to read" list for a while. I think I will need to get to it soon.

I, too, loved "A Man Called Ove."

Eileen

Go to Top of Page

etcharb
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Eileen
Holden MA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2018 :  10:47:48 AM  Show Profile
Last month my friend and fellow author, Eileen Charbonneau (yes, we have the same name so I use the pen name Eileen O'Finlan), did a book talk at Village Square Bookseller in Bellows Falls, Vermont. It was taped for their local television station. I just got the link to the video. If anyone is interested in watching it, you can view it here: https://www.fact8.com/e107_plugins/media_library/media_library.php?66.11225 Unfortunately, at the very beginning, the TV station misspelled the name of my novel. It should be Kelegeen not Kelegreen!

The other Eileen speaks first. My part starts about half way through. We thought we made a good team and enjoyed presenting together so much that we've decided to do some more book talks together. Our next one will be at the Gale Free Library in Holden, Massachusetts on August 23rd. Nothing can stop two farmgirl sisters!!

Eileen

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4714 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4714 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2018 :  7:18:14 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the recommendation Eileen, I will check to see if my library has the book.

Dawn in IL

Go to Top of Page

etcharb
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Eileen
Holden MA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2018 :  6:31:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi Dawn. If they don't have it you can ask them to order it. Lightening Source/Ingram is the distributor.

Eileen

Go to Top of Page

Simple Living
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Joan
Staten Island NY
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2018 :  3:53:40 PM  Show Profile
I just started reading novels by author Joanne Demaio. I love it. Thanks to a farmgirl Connie who got me addicted to these novels :)

A Life Without a Friend, Is a Life Without Sun
Farmgirl #3842

Edited by - Simple Living on Jun 25 2018 3:54:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1019 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1019 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2018 :  7:26:00 PM  Show Profile
Question for Eileen,
Where would I find the Amazon's Reader Recommendations program? Have you made it to this list with Kelegeen?. I am not finished yet reading it. It is so hard to know how extremely difficult life was during that time. You are one amazing author.

TW

The fun begins where the sidewalk ends. Shel Silverstein
Go to Top of Page

etcharb
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Eileen
Holden MA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2018 :  11:18:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi TW,
If you go to your Amazon account "Your Recommendations" should be listed under the "Account & Lists" drop down menu. If it's not there, you might have to sign up for it. Amazon makes recommendations for you based on past purchases.

Kelegeen should be in the Reader Recommendations list now since I have more than 12 reviews, but the more reviews the more exposure the book will get.

Thank you for your kind words about my writing. I know it was a tough time in Ireland, but it also shows what a resilient people they were. Any of us who have ancestors who came from Ireland because of the Famine can be proud to have come from their stock! It was fun to create characters who prevail against the odds.

Eileen

Go to Top of Page

etcharb
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Eileen
Holden MA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2018 :  7:06:36 PM  Show Profile
I recently finished Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah. It was fantastic. I highly recommend it. I can't wait to read Hannah's book The Nightingale and her new release The Great Alone.

I'm also about halfway through Outlander. I'm hooked. I can see that I'll be spending a lot of time with that series!

Eileen

Go to Top of Page

aidanm
Chapter Leader

25 Posts

Aidan
CA
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2018 :  6:21:10 PM  Show Profile
I am a Young Adult genre reader. I finished "Empress of a Thousand Skies" today finally after putting it down for months and I'm starting Scarlet by Marissa Meyer. It is the second book in her Lunar Chronicle series, and the first was excellent, so I have high hopes for this book.

California Country Girl transplant from Ohio - Bibliophile & Blogger - farmgirlaidan.wordpress.com
Sister #7664
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2018 :  6:35:25 PM  Show Profile
I am listening to Jodi Picoult's "Lone Wolf". Love all of her books. Fiction but so much factual research.
Also listening to some Rick Bragg. Am such a fan of his back page contributions in Southern Living mag
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2018 :  09:32:11 AM  Show Profile
I am reading "Days of Destruction Days of Revolt" by Chris Hedges. This booktake a look at the sacrifice zones, those area that have been offered up for exploitation in the name of profit, progress and technological advancement. Among these areas are the Pine Ridge Reservation; Camden, NJ; Welch, WV and Immokalee, FL. These are places in America which are scarred by poverty, violence, addiction, environmental devestation and racism. It is a sobering read.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2018 :  05:23:05 AM  Show Profile
I was in Welch once and all I can say is that I wouldn't be caught dead there. Or maybe I would be caught dead there---that is one mean redneck place.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1751 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1751 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2018 :  11:39:41 AM  Show Profile
Loved the great alone. Really good read. Also any Jodi picoult book is good. Reading patchwork bride by Sandra dallas.

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

etcharb
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Eileen
Holden MA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2018 :  09:36:24 AM  Show Profile
I love Jodi Picoult, too. My Sister's Keeper is one of my favorites. The book was much better than the movie. The movie left out some important story lines, plus they changed the ending. I hate it when a book is made into a movie and the ending gets changed.

Eileen

Go to Top of Page

etcharb
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Eileen
Holden MA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2018 :  09:38:57 AM  Show Profile
Marie, you might also want to read Tomatoland by Barry Estabrook and The World According to Monsanto by Marie-Monique Robin.

Eileen

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2018 :  10:13:49 AM  Show Profile
I have many Chris Hedges books on my reading list. His books are so easy to read despite the weightiness of the topics. This particular book has illustrations of people's stories similar to comics which are very nicely rendered. Jodi Picoult is very good, very thought provoking.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Reading Room:  What's Everyone Reading? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page