Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 A Review of Ball's New Canning Book
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic A Review of Ball's New Canning Book Next Topic  

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2016 :  05:59:38 AM  Show Profile
I received mine the other day and been pouring through it. Many recipes I want to try but - it's not the old Ball Blue Book. The new book is geared more toward canners like me who like to put up cute little jars of what you see in specialty shops. It has many recipes for using what you put up.

For the FarmGirl who puts up quart jars for the winter it offers little but the bare basics of canning. The Ball Blue Book is still the best for serious canners and beginners. The new book has a few pages on canning with pressure cookers, drying, fermenting, and curing.

The new book is beautifully done but with it's 366 pages is not as easy to use as the old book with 120 pages. I'm glad I have it; will use it; but will continue to use the Blue Book too.

If you are interested in learning more about the new canning book or would like to order it check out http://www.freshpreservingstore.com/home They are offering free shipping when ordering the new canning book.

Full disclosure I do not represent the Ball Co. in anyway and am not dating the VP. I just like canning books.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2016 :  08:35:00 AM  Show Profile
Me too Sara. The best one of all is Jackie Clay's. She lives off grid in MN and really gets into the nitty gritty of basics, and has some good old fashioned recipes. And it is heavy on the "putting up" style as well.
Here's a link

https://www.amazon.com/Growing-Canning-Your-Own-Food/dp/0982157762?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2016 :  09:34:58 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Lisa! I checked it out and ordered two very good used ones for my sister and me. The new ones were too pricey for me. I have been pleased with the used books ordered from Amazon.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2016 :  09:37:39 AM  Show Profile
Forgot to say I also ordered an Italian canning/preserving book. I use a lot of Italian seasonings so I am looking forward to 'doing it the Italian way'.

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2016 :  10:09:32 AM  Show Profile
Boy, the old Blue Book was like the Bible to us growing up! When I worked for the county extension as a Master Food Preserver, it was our go-to guide, as well. As much canning and preserving as I have done in my life, I still have an old dog-eared copy on hand and it still gets used. I do enjoy the recipes in some of the newer books, though -- and the smaller sizes of batches, too. Times and eating habits have changed and we have to change with them, I guess.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2016 :  2:28:38 PM  Show Profile
WOW Sara! I never looked at those prices! I ordered mine from Backwoods Home Magazine years ago. She is a contributor there, and has a wonderful segment called "Ask Jackie". And she can answer EVERYTHING!
Their price is $24.95 new. I should have looked closer. Oops.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2016 :  2:48:28 PM  Show Profile
Marilyn you must have enjoyed going to work everyday. A Master Preserver - I'm impressed. Years ago Lone Star Natural Gas Co employed an extension agent out of Dallas. She held brown bag lunch classes at local offices. I would take a vacation day so I could attend them. Learned a lot from her. They don't do that anymore - that too has changed.

Lisa, the new prices did give me sticker shock. I paid around $15 for each of the very good used books so I'm glad I could get both. I guess not everything on Amazon is a good deal. From now on I will know the going price.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6528 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2016 :  05:43:55 AM  Show Profile
This is a fascinating thread to read. I never knew anything about Blue Ball Canning or it's widespread following of canning experts. I do love to learn about the history or what generations of women have done in kitchens across decades. My canning efforts are very small but I love to see jars of delicious family favorites lining the shelves of a pantry. There is something sort of reassuring about seeing good things to eat available for that time when you really need it. Thanks for sharing this thread and I loved learning from all of you who wrote comments!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6823 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6823 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2016 :  06:26:01 AM  Show Profile
Winnie the Ball Blue Book was first copyrighted in 1995. Ball Glass Co. must have published other canning books before then. Maybe as long as they have been making mason jars. How would we go about finding the earlier Ball books as well as other old canning books? Before books there may have been pamphlets.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic A Review of Ball's New Canning Book Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page