Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - May 06 2018 :  7:33:49 PM  Show Profile
Yes Lisa she is.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2018 :  05:31:40 AM  Show Profile
Annie has been busy this summer chasing squirrel and finally got one awhile back. For the last several days she has been on the hunt for something other than squirrel. Something that goes underneath my Yellow Rose Cottage or between bushes. This morning she got it - a 6-7" rat. No telling what other small critters are coming into town for water.

Annie can now add rat killing to her list of squirrel, opossum, baby copperhead snake, and birds. I'm sad about the birds but the other critters I can do without them being in my backyard. She's a self taught hunter - runs in her genes - wonder how good she could be with a little bit of training.

Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2018 :  08:39:01 AM  Show Profile
Annie is a real hunter for sure! My two little terriers chase squirrels and tree them, but they never catch one. Good thing she caught that rat. I did have a snake killing dog once. He would shake them to death as he bit them. Quite weird to watch and I didn't like it at all.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2018 :  10:23:49 AM  Show Profile
Barbara years ago I had a little rat terrier named Scully that killed copperheads and a cottonmouth water moccasin. After the kill she was on her way to hunt another one. After she passed I got another rat terrier that only hunted what was in her food dish.

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2018 :  09:07:49 AM  Show Profile

Sara...I love reading your stories about your fur baby and everyone's comments!!! My fur baby is a rescue cat named Grey(he is solid gray...He is my world and I love him so much...So happy you have your fur baby to love and bring you joy!!!

Hugs!

Judy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2018 :  10:44:48 AM  Show Profile
Judy we do love talking about our pets and rescue animals are the best. Grey has found a loving home and I know he is saying thanks every time he is in your lap. Speaking of laps - Annie crawls into mine ever now and then all 60+ lbs of her. She's so gentle with it sometimes I don't even know when she did it - I find myself patting her and then I realize she's in my lap.

Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2018 :  12:34:51 PM  Show Profile

Sara...Annie is definitely a big girl...So sweet that she loves you so much...

Hugs!

Judy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2018 :  07:26:37 AM  Show Profile
Annie is having a good day. She is guarding my street. City workers are working on sewer line in front of my house. As long as the men are in the middle of the street Annie just watches but if they move toward "her sidewalk" her ears go back and the hair along her back stands up. She barks at the man until he goes back to the middle of the street. All's well on Woodlawn Ave this morning Annie is on guard.

Edited by - YellowRose on Oct 17 2018 07:27:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2019 :  1:06:52 PM  Show Profile
Gotta brag on Annie for getting her first snake of the season. Outside of copperheads and grass snakes I can't identify snakes especially little ones and this one was only 6-8'. Glad she killed it. One less snake I have to worry about when working in my yard.

FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  06:01:47 AM  Show Profile
Annie has had a busy morning. First at a little after 6 a.m. we were putting out the trash. When it's still dark I let her out front without her leash. She ran to the light pole at end of my driveway and looked up. I thought maybe it was an early squirrel but it was the owl that lives in the oak tree across the street.

A little after 7 a.m. two ducks circled low and then flew off. Last spring there was two ducks that stayed around for several days. I wonder if it's the same pair.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  07:11:37 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like Annie is exhibiting her Ridgeback tendencies. She's definitely watching out for anything that is out of place. Did you know that the Ridgeback may have some association with the Black Mouth Cur dog? That is what my Jack is. Pictured here on the couch with my Annie. He just turned 12, and she pesters the heck out of him.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  07:45:38 AM  Show Profile
Annie and Jack favor in coloring and built. Annie's ears stand up and are about the size of Jack's ears. Maybe a little smaller.

Annie watches birds as they fly over. Nothing gets passed her keen eyes - hearing & scent.

We just came in from the eastside of my house where I have raised beds. When I am working on the beds I put her on a 15' chain so I don't have to keep up with her and she is free to explore. She knows on that side of the house she has to be on a chain so she waits at the open gate for me to put it on her collar. When I take the chain off she goes into the gate. I didn't set out to train her to do that she just picked it up by doing it a couple of times. I think she is one of the smartest dogs I have ever had.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  08:21:39 AM  Show Profile
She does sound a lot like Jack. He is just naturally smart, but a bit too protective. He only likes myself, and my husband (it took him a while and many treats and car rides to like him LOL). He has never been formally trained either, but he is smarter than even the Australian Shepherds we had. One example is that if Annie is laying in his sun spot, he will go to the front door and bark, and when she comes to check it out, he runs and snatches her spot. Here is a better pic of him, with my shoe. Whenever I leave, he finds a shoe and snuggles with it. This time it was actually on his foot. LOL. He is built for speed and prowess. Very muscular. Wish I could see a pic of Annie.

Edited by - nubidane on Mar 29 2019 08:22:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  08:40:21 AM  Show Profile
Image Jack with Egyptian style black eye makeup on his eyes and darker around his nose though Annie's isn't as dark as when younger. She's three years old. She has four white paws and white chest & belly. Tip of her tail is dark.

Annie's upper body is muscular and powerful. I no longer walk her because if she makes a quick move she can pull me off balance and down. She gets her exercise chasing squirrels and running up and down back fence with neighbor's two little dogs. Annie does play good with other dogs once she gets acquainted.

Funny story about how you got Jack to accept DH. Annie likes my sisters and 2 of my women neighbors. She doesn't take to men at all. One exception is my BIL who has a way with dogs.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2019 :  5:17:06 PM  Show Profile
She may have some Great Dane in her too. My actual favorite breed. My Danes were the best. Although this little Dobie is stealing my heart too!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2019 :  08:16:03 AM  Show Profile
I'm a member of the Scattered Prairie Gals Henhouse and Denise posted a recipe for violet jelly. I've been keeping an eye on my wild violets to see if I have enough for two cups. I don't but now I have a few less because Annie ate several blooms while I was working in the sideyard.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2860 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2860 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2019 :  3:31:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh dang Sara!! Wished you lived closer. We have oodles here. And then Annie(s) and I could snack on chicken thighs..LOL
By the way, you can make a similar jelly with dandelion blooms

Edited by - nubidane on Apr 12 2019 3:31:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2019 :  4:24:45 PM  Show Profile
Lisa, I've been eating dandelion leaves but hadn't thought about the flowers. May have to look into making dandelion jelly. I guess I could do 1/2 recipe for either violet or dandelion jelly if I didn't have enough for a full batch.

You'll have to be quick to beat Annie to the thighs.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2019 :  04:52:07 AM  Show Profile
Hambone broth is in the pressure canner in my Yellow Rose Cottage. While I'm canning Annie has been on the trail of some critter that crossed her backyard during the night. It's misting rain, 62 degrees but that doesn't stop her from doing what she does best - hunt. It feels more like spring this morning then the dead of winter. Maybe that's why critters are out and about.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2019 :  5:09:07 PM  Show Profile
Sara, you aren't the only one having spring like weather. The past two days we have been humid and warm again and forced to turn the AC on. Everything in the house feels wet unless the Ac gets turned on and here it is the end of December! Annie i sure a good hunter. She is keeping Yellow Rose Cottage safe from unwanted critters!! Besides, maybe there will be some bone broth on her supper and she doesn't want any other critter getting in on the deal!! LOL!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2020 :  06:41:16 AM  Show Profile
Annie turned 4 last month and she'll be with me 4 years this March. It doesn't seem like it's been 4 years since she came to live with me but sometimes it seems like she's been here forever.

I know Annie is smart but sometimes she surprises me - like this morning. Yesterday I cleaned out my fridge of all the jars with just a dab of this and that in them. They dried overnight and as I gathered them up in my large vintage enamel cake pan (I use it as a tray) Annie went to the backdoor. Somehow she knew when I put jars in that cake pan I would be going to my Yellow Rose Cottage and she was making sure she was going with me. Call it habit; coincidence; or things just happen; I want to believe she's just that smart.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2020 :  1:08:55 PM  Show Profile
Sat out on the back deck earlier today. It was nice to feel the warm sun on me but the breeze was cold. Annie sprawled out on the deck eating the wee acorns that fall from the big oak tree. They're the smallest acorns I have ever seen and wouldn't have thought Annie would get enough of a taste for all her hard work. I knew the squirrels ate them but never entered my mind Annie would too. She also eats pecans that fall into my yard from my neighbor's tree. I guess she is a forager as well as a hunter. Her ancestor's DNA, the wolf, must run strong in her. When I get around to it I'll have to sweep the acorn shells off the deck. It would be nice if she would tidy up after having an acorn snack.

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2020 :  08:47:04 AM  Show Profile
Sara, so glad you have Annie ... Hugs to you and head scratches for Annie

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2020 :  09:15:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the sweet words, Carole. Annie's been busy running in and out of the house. This morning I filled the electric water bath canner so I can start canning in the morning. Annie likes it when I'm busy in my Yellow Rose Cottage. She drops in now and then to check on me.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9234 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9234 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2020 :  07:30:32 AM  Show Profile
Sara,
Love reading about Annie and some of her adventures and happenings.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Annie Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page