True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  4:04:34 PM  Show Profile
Hey Gals,

I really really want to learn how to make soap, and I read a lot about goat's milk soap, etc. Would regular cow's milk work just as fine? Anybody want to share with me a recipe and tell me how to go about making some? Thanks!!!

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!** ~Me

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2005 :  06:18:02 AM  Show Profile
This is where I started out.
http://www.millersoap.com/
WARNING: Soapmaking is additive!
I made a batch of"Favorite Castile/No Palm Oil" from Miller's site just yesterday morning. Scented with "JUNIPER BREEZE" FO (this is for farmers market).
I make HOT PROCESS as I have no patience to wait 3 to 4 weeks to use my soap as it cures.
The trade off I have is unless it's something that can be added just before the soap goes in the molds, It may react to hot process.
(I had a batch of Honey-Almond crawl out of the pot all over my stove and floor! I wasn't watching it that close, walked out to the mailbox and when I walked in it was everywhere, I think it was the honey in the recipe)
So I usually stick with the basic recipe and just add what I want after cooking.
Hope this helps.
KarenP
I use http://www.thesage.com/calcs/lyecalc2.php for a lye calculator.

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2005 :  08:42:45 AM  Show Profile
Whole cow milk works just as well.

I make cold process but don't wait to use the soap. If I want the scent I just made I use it the day it comes out of the mold. It doesn't last as long as a bar that's been sitting for a few months to dry but it's a trade off I don't mind making.

http://thymeforewe.com/buddyburner.html#Soap

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  08:29:41 AM  Show Profile
When we first started making soap we found a great book called "The Soap Makers Companion" it had a lot of info on oils and sap charts. I agree it is additive and now I don't really like using other soaps and a lot of friends have become very loyal to our soap.

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

BamaSuzy
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Alabama
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  09:49:40 AM  Show Profile
When making soap using the cold process method and using any kind of milk, make sure you pour the lye into the milk EXTREMELY SLOWLY....that was my main problem when I started....one books says it should take you at least 15 minutes to slowly ad the lye as you stir....that made all the difference in me making soap! best wishes!

You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt!
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  11:15:41 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Gals, what is the difference between hot process and cold process? I'll definitely check out the book you suggested, Melissa! Thanks!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2005 :  2:33:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Robin!

I just wanted to drop you a note to say thanks for your site! I modified your soap recipe a bit for a my first time ( I did not have as much of all the ingredients as you suggested) but it seems to be doing great! I made it less than 3 hrs ago but it is already "set up" and now I am just waiting for it to cool over the next 2 days as the lye is cooked out of it.

Thanks Again! I am totally excited!

Ciao
Alee
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2005 :  12:35:02 PM  Show Profile
Made two batches of soap this morning,the first one was Lemon Grass-Calendula
Everything went well as normal, I "SURFED the net" awhile as the soap was cooking.
The second was going fine, stirred it and went out to clothes line (not more than a 2 minutes) and came back in and had crawled out of the pot!
I caught it before it went all over the stove and floor.
Just when you think everything is under control...
The soap was fine and added Eucalyptus before it when into the new molds I got from our fellow farmgirl-Jana (thank you!).
The soap that escaped from the pot into the boiling water, I used to kill a couple of large ant hills in the yard.
But everything turn out ok, all the soaps are in the molds and should be ready to come out tomorrow for cutting.
I can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday morning, except maybe thrift saling.
KarenP

Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2005 :  1:37:57 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Alee

Hi Robin!

I just wanted to drop you a note to say thanks for your site! I modified your soap recipe a bit for a my first time ( I did not have as much of all the ingredients as you suggested) but it seems to be doing great! I made it less than 3 hrs ago but it is already "set up" and now I am just waiting for it to cool over the next 2 days as the lye is cooked out of it.

Thanks Again! I am totally excited!

Ciao
Alee

How's it doing, Alee? Have you used it yet?

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2005 :  4:19:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Actually yes I have!

I made mine a bit strong because I plan on using it for cleaning household things and less as a hand soap (although that is my next attempt!) I chopped one bar up and added it to 64 ounces of water and it Gelled! I got a kick out of how well it works!

I already have one cleaning client that wants me to start using my new recipe in her house and I have been adding my "liquid" soap to water to mop with. Also it took the hard water spots off my stainless steel in my shower! :)

Hopefully next weekend I can make a batch of moisturizing body soap/wash soap that is on the milder scale! :) I really appreciate everyones help!

Ciao

Alee
Go to Top of Page

BamaSuzy
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Alabama
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2005 :  11:49:09 AM  Show Profile
Please please please don't ever leave soap-making unattended....even for just a few seconds! dangerous accidents happen that way!

You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2005 :  9:52:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Phew!

I just got 2 normal batches of soap done and one monster batch done! I am thinking of making one more smaller batch tonight also but as it is getting later...I think it will have to wait until tomorrow to be made.

I hope everyone is having a great day!

Ciao
Alee
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2005 :  10:31:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
And just a real quick question-

I know the longer you let soap dry the longer it lasts-

but after the saponification takes place (hot process I believe is 24-28 depending on water and oil content)

SO my question is- after saponification is complete- do you HAVE To wait a certain amount of time...or is it ready for use after saponification?

My last batch I used right away and did not seem to have a problem

but with these new batches being earmarked for selling- I want to plan on when I should go to Farmer's Market.

Thanks Ladies!

Ciao

Alee
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2005 :  10:44:41 PM  Show Profile
My daughter and I are doing our first batch this Saturday. I have a question about measuring the oils. The recipe we're using calls for 20 oz of vegetable shortening as well as two other oils. Do you measure the 20 oz before melting or after? We're just going to make a small batch in case we really mess it up!!

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

North Clark County Farmgirls and
Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2005 :  11:47:19 PM  Show Profile
You might want to check Kay...the recipe I have calls for ingredients by weight, not by volume.

Diane

Live a good and honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  02:56:35 AM  Show Profile
Unless a recipe specifies measuring by volume use weight measurements. Twenty ounces by weight is the same regardless of solid or liquid.

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  08:38:10 AM  Show Profile
Alee..I wait two weeks to use my soap generally...
Kay...I agree...it usually gets weighed. I weigh mine first before melting..its easier.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  08:56:16 AM  Show Profile
When we first started making soap we tried these little individual molds and we had problems with the soap not staying warm long enough to finish saponifying. Then we read something( I really can't remember what, it was a while ago)to confirm this. And from that time on we've only used our big mold that makes 18 cut bars. Now my Aunt sent me all these molds, Moons, goddesses, bumble bees and I really want to use them. Does anyone use fun molds for lye soap? If so is there anything I have to do differently?
Also I have another qustion, I love lemongrass oil, I heard (somewhere so it might not be a good sorce) that it could be irratating to the skin. I don't want to put it in my creams and cause people to have reaction. So far I haven't had any problem and I'm fairly sensitve. Has anyone had any problems with this oil?

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  09:58:53 AM  Show Profile
Question...I have a freezer full of pure white pork lard that I rendered myself. Can it be used for soapmaking, either by itself or blended with other oils/fats??
I need to find another use for this lard as the quantity I have is a lifetime supply!

Diane

Live a good and honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  4:05:34 PM  Show Profile
absolutely,
http://www.millersoap.com/soapanimal.html
check out all the recipes!
KarenP

Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2005 :  04:30:15 AM  Show Profile
>>>SO my question is- after saponification is complete- do you HAVE To wait a certain amount of time...or is it ready for use after saponification?

As long as the recipe was well stirred and didn't have more lye than needed you can use it right out of the mold. Once that soap's cold there isn't anything going on in the bar that's going to make a difference in lye. You'll learn how to judge how a batch is as you're making it and slicing it. It will have a certain look going into the mold and again when you're cutting into bars.

>>>When we first started making soap we tried these little individual molds and we had problems with the soap not staying warm long enough to finish saponifying. Then we read something( I really can't remember what, it was a while ago)to confirm this. <<<

Easily fixed. Place a couple of heavy towels where you're going to let the molds sit. Nestle the molds into the towels, cover with butcher paper (shiny side down) and cover with a couple more towels. The insulation will help. If you're running AC it will help to keep the molds in the warmest part of the house.

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2005 :  2:23:44 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, thank you. I actually thought of that but I thought it can't be that easy. I'm so happy I have the greatest molds. I have the goddess - Venus of Willendorf, the ancient stone goddess they found in a cave in France. I would love to make soaps out of her, I also got bee's, moons, stars, and butterflies. But it really all about goddess soaps. Thanks so much, I'm going to try this weekend.

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2005 :  9:57:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I use those fun molds and I just do Hot Process instead of cold process. Then I pour it into a pan to finish "cooking" and then I mill it. After I am with the heating part of the milling, I let it cool for less than 10 min and then I pour into the molds.

Good luck!

Ciao

Alee
Go to Top of Page

lizajane
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Lisa
Alto TX
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  1:23:36 PM  Show Profile
Can you make soap without using lye ?
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  2:00:50 PM  Show Profile
No -- the only way to make soap without you personally using lye is to do melt and pour soap. You buy the soap, melt it, and pour in your own molds. We did our first two batches on Saturday and I was terrified of the lye. But now I'm ready to make more!! I think doing melt and pour would take the fun out of making soap!

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

North Clark County Farmgirls and
Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  2:30:45 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by therusticcottage

I think doing melt and pour would take the fun out of making soap!

I agree. It's like melting butter, pouring it into another pan and declaring you've made butter. No fat/oil, no lye = no soap.

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Make It Easy: Previous Topic Soap Making Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page