TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2017 :  1:24:54 PM  Show Profile
First I made a wonder bag. Then I used my remaining Styrofoam beads to make little pillows, which I put into a plastic tub with a good fitting latching lid. When I want to cook something...fresh green beans in one pot and whole new potatoes in the top pot, I bring them to a boil on the stove burner, let them cook for a bit, then I put the pans in the tub...making sure the little pillows completely cover the pots...bottom, sides and top. Then the tub lid is put in place. If needed set something on top of the tub so the tub is "sealed". When using the wonder bag, I put the hot pot, with its hot contents and lid in the wonder bag, put its pillow in the top and pull the string to close it. The fresh green beans took four hours to cook yesterday. You can leave the food up to 12 hours...think pinto beans, stew, etc. I read about wonder bags and wanted to try one. I purchased a bag of pellets, about 1/4" size from Wal-Mart. (You can save the packing around things you purchase, and break it up into tiny bits.)
Best of all you use less fuel, and the kitchen does not get so hot.
I have crock pots, but my husband does not really like the results.???
(Not the way his grandma did it.)
My only problem is storage when I don't need to cook in them.
Also you can put frozen things in a wonder bag and it will stay frozen for a while. Think of taking ice cream to a party or picnic.
TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.

Edited by - TexasGran on Mar 20 2017 1:29:30 PM
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Styrofoam cooking Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page