AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2018 :  06:23:54 AM  Show Profile
This is the time of year that I start to think about stocking the freezers for the holiday season!

What are you tucking away? Anything and everything is fair game to share! For the holidays or just for whatever!

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2018 :  06:25:55 AM  Show Profile
I've been going through freezers recently to clean out older items and group like items together - things are looking much nicer although I have some more work to do!

Most recent addition to freezer is a batch of lime juice frozen in 1 Tbsp amounts in ice cube tray. And a bag of lime rinds for zesting later.

I made a double batch of chicken stock this weekend (from bones saved in the freezer!) and will be skimming fat off and freezing it tonight!
Go to Top of Page

janamarieje
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

Jana
Southern California
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2018 :  07:32:31 AM  Show Profile
I love soup and keep a verity of pint size jars of soup in the freezer, which is a perfect size for lunch! Yesterday I made six jars of minestrone soup.

Jana

http://www.emhardt.com

https://www.etsy.com/shop/cjhandcraftedstudio

Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes. ~Author Unknown
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt! ~Charles Schulz
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  06:20:22 AM  Show Profile
Jaime thanks for starting this thread.

I only have refrigerator freezer so I don't use it to put up large quantities. One of the things on my list to freeze is herb butter. I want a couple of different rolls of butter - one with mixed herbs and one with oregano.

In the past I froze the entire rolls but found I didn't like having to cut frozen butter to use it. This time I plan on making the rolls; chilling; slicing; flash freeze slices; store in zip-lock freezer bags.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015.

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  05:28:31 AM  Show Profile
I love flash freezing, use that method a lot! I got 11 cups of chicken stock in the freezer which was nice!

I am getting started with a long list of items to freeze the weekend of Sept 8th - will be trying to freeze things every weekend from that point forward until end of Nov. Mainly starting with cookies first and then moving into meals and precooked meats.

I still need to go through freezers and pull out a few items that are too old to keep now. Need to do a better job at using things up! I've updated my inventory of what I have in an attempt to be better about this!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  4:37:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jamie, I am so excited to see this thread! I will be joining you in all your freezing glory at the end of September/ first of October. I look forward to seeing what everyone else is working on in the meantime!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2018 :  6:41:08 PM  Show Profile

Hey Ladies!!! I froze about 22 pints of tomatoes earlier in July...I still feel that with making vegetable beef soup and chili throughout the Fall and Winter that I will need more...The tomatoes are still in abundance at the Farmer's Markets so I am going to try to get some more in the freezer after Labor Day!!! Nothing like having your own tomatoes to go into soups and chili...

Hugs!

Judy

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2018 :  08:01:49 AM  Show Profile

I am preparing to peel tomatoes as I post this!!! Will be freezing more fresh tomatoes today. So good for soups and chili this Winter!!!

Hugs!

Judy

God Has Been So Good To Me!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2018 :  08:08:32 AM  Show Profile
So far I've gotten the following in the freezers:

2 meals worth of Crockpot Beef and Mushrooms
2 meals worth of Oven Chicken Fajita meat (in marinade)
1 Batch of Chocolate Gob cookies
2 Batches of Lemon Snowballs
1 Batch of Lime Snowballs
1 Batch of Dbl Dark Choc PB Cookie
1 Batch of Choc Chip Cookies
1 Batch of Reese's Pieces PB Cookies
1 Batch of Milky Way Blondies

Can't remember if I mentioned the recent batch of chicken stock I made and froze? Also made a test loaf of Italian type bread and froze to see how it would do.

Thawed a piece yesterday and it seemed pretty good to me. I think I will go ahead and make/freeze a few more loaves for gifting at the holidays.

Edited by - AuntJamelle on Sep 24 2018 08:09:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2018 :  07:04:34 AM  Show Profile

Jaime you have been a busy girl!!! Everything sounds so good!!!

Hugs!

Judy

God Has Been So Good To Me!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2018 :  07:33:02 AM  Show Profile
Jaime you have been busy in your kitchen and as I like to say "a busy kitchen is a happy kitchen".

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2018 :  05:06:43 AM  Show Profile
I've been up since 4a.m. and it's 6:45 now. I cook for one so what would be one meal for a family I get four or five meals.

Yesterday I bought a rotisserie chicken on sale. Had one chicken breast sandwich. This morning I sliced and chopped rest of the breast. Yield - slices for 3 sandwiches and chopped for 2 dishes (chicken spaghetti or soup. In the freezer.

Chopped the legs, thighs, and wings for Bar B Que. Yield chicken for 4 sandwiches. I made enough Bar B Que sauce for the chicken plus pork baby back ribs I have in the slow cooker. Will have ribs for lunch and freeze the rest. I put single malt Irish whiskey in the sauce and it is really good.

Also have linked sausage cut in single portions flash freezing in the freezer.

Have 1# pkg of Italian sausage and 2# pkg Angus ground chuck to cook and flash freeze. Will keep in ziplock freezer bags so I can take out what I need. Since I prefer to eat less meat the ground chuck and Italian sausage will last me a month. Handy for spaghetti sauces, pizza, chili, in veg soup and sloppy Joes.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2018 :  10:22:27 AM  Show Profile
Sara - You are ON it! Everything sounds great! Especially the whiskey in the BBQ sauce! :)

I did a beef roast in the crockpot on Saturday and then on Sunday made up a double batch of Cheesy Beef Taquito filling and froze that flat in Ziploc bags. Had quite a bit of beef left over so froze that too. And the dogs were quite happy with the bones from the roast! lol

Roasted a whole chicken and a few lbs of chicken thighs - stripped and chopped the meat and froze it. Froze all the bones for making more stock later.

Then I made and froze another batch of Milky Way Blondies. And 4 batches of cookie dough - have 3 of them shaped and flash freezing. Will work on doing that with the 4th tonight!

Edited by - AuntJamelle on Oct 01 2018 10:23:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2018 :  12:55:17 PM  Show Profile
Jamie, I will be freezing some of those amazing chicken fajitas again here shortly! Must say they are my families absolute favorite! I will also be freezing some ranch chicken tacos. They are delicious too.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2018 :  06:23:49 AM  Show Profile
Oven Chicken Fajitas are ALWAYS a good idea! lol What recipe do you use for the Ranch Chicken Tacos? Sounds like something we might like!

Last night I shaped the Cocoa Kiss Cookie dough and have it flash freezing in the chest freezer.

I also did a batch of Puff Pastry Twists - this is a new one and I can't wait to try them! You brush the pastry with beaten egg, sprinkle with green chiles and sharp cheddar, fold and cut into strips. Then each strip gets wrapped in bacon, dredged in a brown sugar/coriander/cumin mix and twisted before flash freezing.

They are meant as appetizers for our Christmas dinner party this year :)
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2018 :  11:29:14 AM  Show Profile
Jamie, the Ranch chicken tacos are so easy. You just combine 2 pounds of chicken, 1 package taco seasoning, 1 package ranch dressing seasoning, and 1/4 cup water in a ziplock bag and freeze. When ready to use thaw overnight in fridge. Then cook on low in crockpot for 6 to 8 hours shredding the chicken an hour before it's done. Then serve on tortillas with your favorite toppings. I have even used the left over shredded chicken on salads! So good!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2018 :  10:28:03 AM  Show Profile
Mmmmmmm.....I think that sounds quite tasty!!! Will have to try that for sure! Thank you!

Last night I did another new recipe for the freezer - Puff Pastry Sausage Rolls

You mix an egg, bread crumbs and some seasonings with 1 lb pork sausage. Then you march strips of the mixture down pieces of puff pastry, fold over, seal and cut into 2" pieces. Egg wash and then flash freeze.

I'm thinking these will be a nice, easy addition to breakfasts - something a little different! When I make breakfast at home it is usually one of 3 things - eggs, pancakes or french toast + Bacon with all of them :) - this will spice things up a bit! Now to just get my DS to try them! lol
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2018 :  2:59:37 PM  Show Profile
Jaime your sausage rolls sound delish.

Today I froze 10 Bar-B-Q chicken sliders made with rotisserie chicken breast and hot dog buns cut in half.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2018 :  1:27:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh those sliders sound like COMFORT FOOD! :)

I've added two big pans of lasagna and 2 lbs of cooked, crumbled pork sausage to the freezer. Hoping to get more cookies in there this weekend!
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

764 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
764 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2018 :  12:34:46 PM  Show Profile
Judy, I'm guessing that you blanche the tomatoes to peel the skins off before you pop them in the freezer? Do you leave them whole?

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2018 :  08:13:43 AM  Show Profile
I was given 6 8oz pkgs of fresh cranberries. Froze 4 pkgs.

Grocery store had assorted porkchops on sale - buy one pkg get one for a penny. Yesterday I cooked one pkg in slow cooker with spices. Today it's the other pkg. Will make sliders to freeze. Will let you know how many sliders I get.

Friday I froze 6 Angus beef patties with blue cheese on top and one gal ziplock bag of sautéed Angus ground beef with seasoning. First time for me to buy the 3lb chub pkg of ground beef. I will do it again since it's cheaper than the other pkgs. Easy too - used one half for patties and all I had to do was cut the roll of meat into slices. Three lbs of ground beef will last me for almost an entire month.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2018 :  07:59:13 AM  Show Profile
Made and froze 22 porkchop Bar -B - Q sliders over the weekend.

Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2018 :  05:54:42 AM  Show Profile
You are doing GREAT, Sara!!! :)

This weekend I baked and then froze a Reese's Peanut Butter Cheesecake - I'll thaw and add a chocolate ganache and PB buttercream when time to serve.

Also baked and froze a batch of chocolate chip cookies for our camping trip this weekend!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2018 :  06:09:07 AM  Show Profile
Jaime your sweet treats sound so yummy. I bet you have the sweetest freezer in your county - maybe even the whole state.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2018 :  02:53:16 AM  Show Profile
always fun to see what you all are freezing. wow amazing. I have the garden produce done. Getting meals in the freezer is something i want to do.

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

AuntJamelle
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Jaime
South Bend Indiana
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2018 :  11:05:45 AM  Show Profile
Awww, thanks Sara! I do love my baked goods!

Great job on the produce Michele - THAT is a job in and of itself!!! One thing you could try sometime is to plan on making a double batch of a meal you are making for dinner - then freezing half of it. So if you are making tacos - make twice the meat and freeze half. Or double batch of chili and freeze half. Or make 2 lasagnas and freeze one before cooking, etc.

I remember doing that early on! Sometimes it's an easier approach...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What are you freezing? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page