westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  05:40:26 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a tip or two? I've never really canned before. I made a few quick jellies but I want to learn to can. I can only grow so much in my small garden but can I can organic or fresh veggies or fruit that I know where it came from? Is it easier to start w/ a specific food? Any advice would be great.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  05:49:07 AM  Show Profile
I forgot, my one BIG question is this; what is the big difference between a regular big pot & a canning pot & is a canning pot necessary?? I dont want to make us sick.

Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  06:26:33 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
For things that are acidic, such as tomatoes you can just use a water boiler on. I'm not sure what you mean by the pots, but you need a big enough pot to cover your jars by about an inch and one with a lid. Getting a Ball canning book is a great place to start. I have a couple from the 1940s and 1950s and a current one. The princples are still the same from the old ones, they just have a lil different recipes sometimes. I think it's awesome that you are growing some organic things and preserving them. Many times too you can find people that have grown way too much in their gardens that they will sell or give away. Or farmer's market.

Blessings....
Sarah

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." -From The Great Law Of The Iroquois Confederacy.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!!!!

http://mustangsuzie.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  07:59:35 AM  Show Profile
To can things that require more than a water bath you must have a pressure canner that will hold pressure to a certain point for the right amount of time. Otherwise yes you can get very sick. You can find them second hand but I wouldn't shell out to much for it unless you know they actually work.

blessings,

Holy

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  10:33:22 AM  Show Profile
I agree with getting a Ball Blue book to get started...lots of proven recipes and tips. I use alot of other books and family recipes too..but that book is a good place to begin.
Big difference between water bath pot and pressure canner pot...the book will explain that. Acid foods can be canned in the water bath pot and low acid (most veggies and all meats and soups and like that) must be canned in a pressure canner. Start with the water bath for sure...but don't be afraid to move on to pressure canning...lots more variety when you do.
As for pots..if you have a tall enough pot to go an inch over the jars you can use it for water bath canning. I do use my stock pots for cannners from time to time if I need another water bath going..BUT..don't sit the jars directly on the bottom. The regular water bath pot will come with a rack. YOu can use a folded terry cloth hand towel on the bottom..I do it all the time..that works too. It will never be the same color again so I use one of my older ones and it works out fine. You shouldn't have trouble at all finding a ball blue book..even Walmart, Kmart and grocery stores have them most times.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  10:51:45 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I choose to dehydrate rather than can most things (except jam), but call your local extension office. Last summer I saw that two of our local extension offices were holding free classes on canning.

Trina

'
Of all the things I have created, my children are the best.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4114 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4114 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  1:38:40 PM  Show Profile
I use the ball canning book too. I also got some canning books from the county extension office. They have the times, and pressures for your exact area. I found them very helpful.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  9:05:41 PM  Show Profile
Michele- I agree about the Ball book, lots of good info. I think the reference to the canning pot might also be in regard to the size pot the jar rack can fit into for the water bath. I have a big stainless steel pot I use as I don't cook anything in aluminum. As for what is a good place to start: applesauce/ apple butter is easy because if you overcook applesauce you then have a good start on apple butter!
The trick is making sure your jars seal well and that you have prepped them well(sterilized). It's really not difficult, just sort of labor intensive, but so worth it to know what you are eating isn't jam packed with strange ingredients you never needed anyway!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  11:50:42 PM  Show Profile
I agree with auntjenny,
you will also see in the Ball book that they pressure can tomatoes, because they say that the tamatoes raised these days dont have as much acid in them as they used to. but I would think that it depends where and what kind you raise.
shirley
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  05:40:05 AM  Show Profile
can you get the blue ball book & canning pots, racks & etc. at the same place??

Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  06:09:45 AM  Show Profile
Take a look at this site. It seems that Ball Canning and Taste of Home are teaming up to help homecanners. Explore this site....there is lots and lots to see. I noticed that a whole canning starter set can be ordered or just the Ball Blue Book. The book alone is $4.95

http://www.homecanning.com/USA/ALProducts.asp?CAT=479&P=1472

I am thinking of ordering the water bath canner starter set! I have a pressure canner, but that is all that I have.

G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  06:44:42 AM  Show Profile
G- I just clicked on the link you gave and spent 20 minutes reading and adding things to my favorites. There is such a wealth of information on there! Thanks for the heads-up!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  06:46:41 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
My mom pressures cans everything just because it takes less time. I've always done my tomato products in water bath, I hadn't heard about the acid reduction.

You can pick up things at yard sales and thrift stores. I found a perfectly good water bath canner at a thrift store for $2, they are like $30+ in the store. I find jars at yard sales and auctions, sometimes even brand new boxes. I've seen the ball books at discount stores, hardware stores and sometimes grocery stores. They are usually in with the canning supplies. I don't know if you'll be able to find it yet this time of year in stores, it's still a little early.

Blessings....
Sarah

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." -From The Great Law Of The Iroquois Confederacy.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  07:08:08 AM  Show Profile
I know Wal-Mart is a dirty word to alot of people, but they do bring in all of the cannings supplies in the early spring. I am going to start keeping my eyes open at the thrift stores for canning supplies! Thanks Sarah...haven't seen any yet, but its one of those things perhaps since I wasn't looking, I didn't see. Hmmm....I wonder if we could start a thrift network for canning supplies. It might be worth the cost of postage if it was thrifted at a very low price!!

Anyone up for a canning thrift network?

G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  07:54:26 AM  Show Profile
aunt george thanks so much for the site, its great & so helpful. Thank you to everyone for all your input & help. I can't wait to start this now.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  12:19:46 PM  Show Profile
The tomato thing is because of the low acid tomatoes some people grow now ...usually Roma type...you can add some lemon juice or vinegar to make them more acid. I don't grow that type, only regular ones which are fine. It pays to know if your variety is low acid though.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  12:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Jenny, that is good info to know. I guess I never knew about that as I don't like roma tomatoes. I'll pay attention though and the new kinds that I am going to try this year.

Blessings....
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  1:19:29 PM  Show Profile
Hello, ladies.

I love to can. Years ago I bought the Ball Blue Book. I bought a more current version as well, but I just love my older one. It has the best vegetable soup recipe (pressure canned).

There are very easy directions, full illustrated, in the ball blue book. The keys are to sterilize the jars, fill to what they say (usually 1/4" for jelly, 1/2" for water canning, and a little more for pressure canning from the TOP of jar), hot lids and rims, finger tight on the rims, placed in water canner or pressure canner and following directions for timing. The keys to success are to work carefully and as quickly as you can safely do it all. Keep your jars hot in the water bath until you need them and your food hot before filling jars.

As for tomoatoes, you add lemon juice to help keep them acidic. I like the prssure canner myself now for tomatoes and peaches as it goes a little bit faster.

A pressure canner is great, but I would order one or pick one up at a hardware store. Make sure it holds at least 7 quart jars. Otherwise, you are going to be wasting your time doing just 4 quarts at a time. They run around $120 or so.

Yes, Walmart has a great selection and cheapest prices for lids, pretty jelly jars, pectin, seasonings. Our local Agway usually has these as well as freezer containers, freezer paper (good for wrapping meat, but even better for using for applique!), and tools. it is helpful and necessary to have a jar lifter, a plastic spatula for releasing bubbles, a wand for lifting hot lids from the water.

What is nice is all the combinations of foods you can make. I started with pickles and relish, did tomatoes and peaches, moved on to tomato sauce. I always did lots of jelly and jam. When I got the pressure canner, I moved on to venison (it is the best to eat this way!) and vegetables soup, beans, corn.

What is so great is going down to the basement shelves, pulling out a can of venison, can of beans and knowing dinner is o the table in about 15 minutes (long enough to make rice to serve the venison over). Dinner in a flash, delicious, nutricious, homegrown and filled with love. All that hard work pays off i nthe winter and springtime.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  1:27:04 PM  Show Profile
If you go to Ball's homecanning site, under recipes, you can search and the Vegetable Soup one is listed. It makes the best soup!!!

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  12:23:46 AM  Show Profile
Our dying and spinning group use those big blue canners for dying wool , and we have found out they can get ting holes in the bottem of the canner
So if you see them at thrift or garage sales be sure to hold them up and look in the bottem to see if they have little holes in the bottem. look from the inside out, and they show up really good if there are any in them.
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  11:31:00 AM  Show Profile
But then the ones with holes in the bottoms make great outside planters =~) I have several.

Great website Aunt George!

Your local extension office can put you in touch with a Master Food Preserver that can answer many of your questions too.

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

Georgia
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Angie
ballwin mo
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  3:48:53 PM  Show Profile
I was just like you a couple of years ago and I got "Canning for Dummies" at my local book store and it was a wonderful way to get started. Very easy to read and follow. They have some really great recipies in it too. They explain both methods of canning very clearly. In the back they list web sites for tools and other information that applies to canning. This Christmas I gave my canning as gifts and everyone loved it. I have a small garden but it is amazing how much you can put up. The book also talks about freezing and dehydrating. Good Luck!

dreamer
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2007 :  3:42:18 PM  Show Profile
Another good source for canning information is your County Extension office. They will have inexpensive and even free booklets on home canning and many other food related topics, as well as gardening. They will have a county home economist on staff who can answer questions and if it like my county , there will be people who have taken classes through the county to become Master Canners, and these people are usually available to give advice on canning.
The best thing you can do is keep your recipes current with regard to time you have your jars in the hot water bath and whether you need to cook under pressure or not. A lot of the methods people used years ago are no longer considered safe for food preservation due to hardier types of bacteria.
Jana
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2007 :  7:56:58 PM  Show Profile
I went out today to get the jars, lids & a book. Now I have to get the pot. I can't wait.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic CANNING?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page