StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2020 :  5:09:51 PM  Show Profile
Dianna -- please smell the hyacinths for me. Mine don't seem to be coming up this year :-( Maybe they are intimidated by the daffodils and cyclamen.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

NancyOH1
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

Nancy
Columbus Ohio
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2020 :  4:27:56 PM  Show Profile
Well it is official!! I actually was able to rent a garden plot in the Community Garden in Reynoldsburg that I was hoping to get. I have already been by to see my actual spot and it is fabulous. I have my rules and regulations pamphlet that I made sure to read. The will have a meeting to kick things off and other meetings along the way. Part of the deal is to volunteer for one of the garden positions or join a committee. I already bought some heirloom seeds at the store and then I picked up some seed potatoes and onions of two varieties. The excitement has set in and I can't wait till we can start planting in May. Plans are in the works to start a few of the plants indoors soon. The Gardening with Heirloom Seeds book is pulled out to finish reading for one of my badges and to check on the seeds I have and just bought. If I can pick out a few flower seeds for organic dyeing I may try that too as long as they are not invasive for the community garden.

Nancy J Noble
Farmgirl No. 2508
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2020 :  04:14:07 AM  Show Profile
I started some seeds last Sunday. It has been a few years since I have started vegetable seeds. They are in a sunny window and will be moved to under a light once they emerge. So the garden season has begun.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2020 :  06:27:59 AM  Show Profile
Nancy so excited for you.

Michele way to go to start your seeds.

Last fall Grace "Katmom" sent me some of her borage seeds. I only had room for one plant in raised bed so I sown 3 or 4 seeds. Looking forward to seeing the bees & butterflies buzzing around.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2020 :  12:11:06 AM  Show Profile
Nancy I am so excited for you!

My sister once had a plot in a city community garden in Santa Barbara, CA. It was such a lovely place! I wanted to be a part of the camaraderie and the social aspect of it. I sometimes have dreams of helping to start a community garden just to replicate the feeling I got from that hilltop garden.
I look forward to hearing how things progress! Such a long time away, May!
Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2020 :  12:12:58 AM  Show Profile
Sara, you once mentioned that you couldn’t find seeds for Rattlesnake beans. Would you like to plant some? I have quite a few, it would be easy to share if you’re interested.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2020 :  03:27:22 AM  Show Profile
Sara thanks but I was talking about where to buy dried beans to can. I don't have room or enough sun to plant the beans.

Checked on my raised beds yesterday and the MJF garlic is growing - should have garlic by late summer. Greek oregano ready for another cutting - so is the lemon thyme. Hope to harvest & dry early part of next week.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2020 :  7:14:55 PM  Show Profile
Still no gardening going on here,, all covered in snow.. and suppose to snow again tomorrow!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2020 :  7:33:35 PM  Show Profile
Grace, hope you will be digging in the dirt soon. The borage seeds are coming up - will have to thin to just one plant. Thanks for sharing them with me.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2020 :  08:46:56 AM  Show Profile
Sara,, I kept a few Borage seeds for myself and shared some with friends.. I love how the Bees love Borage...

Here is why I still can't garden..

(taken early this morning!)

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2020 :  09:40:14 AM  Show Profile
Oh my!

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2020 :  09:52:47 AM  Show Profile
Sara,, I am thinking right about now,, I could use a cup of Irish Coffee or??? heeheehee!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2020 :  06:53:31 AM  Show Profile
It's 61 this morning and raining. It's a good time to put my little bay tree out on the deck. As long as the nights stay above 50 it's outside until next winter. Will bring it back in if temps dip too low. Glad to get it out of my laundry room. Now I have space in front of south facing window to try re-rooting veg.

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2020 :  07:13:28 AM  Show Profile
Hey Judith! Hope by now you hyacinths have shown their fragrant heads but just to let you know I not only smelled all of mine but the ones in Lowes , Walmarr and our grocery store! :D lol! Funny tho how the ones that smelled the least fragrant were the ones at Walmart??

Grace, how I do so love and miss the snow but now that we've been in Alabama for nearly 18 years, this warm weather has grown on me! I cant stay in the extreme heat like I used to but my mind and heart are always outside!! So I pray Spring heads your way soon!

Nancy, the feeling of having your own plot or place to grow something is heart swelling isnt it? Congrats!!

Sara, our weather us so similar to yours! I've put my plants all on the porch already and my little greenhouse is full of seedlings! Cant wait to put everything, seeds included into the ground! Hubs made it back safe and healthy ( so far) from Afghanistan and is going over my garden plot one more time. The asparagus has been coming up like crazy! Yum! Love pickled asparagus!!

Stay well and healthy everyone! Fresh air and some sun does a body good! Digging in fresh dirt is even better! Blessings!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2020 :  07:37:23 AM  Show Profile
Dianna we had a mild winter and last day of frost in my zone is today so looks like winter is over in northeast Texas - unless we have that Easter cold snap that seems to always happen.

Glad to hear your greenhouse is full of seedlings and your garden is ready for planting.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2020 :  5:25:13 PM  Show Profile
Dianna -- no hyacinths this year; I'll have to remember buy more bulbs and replant them. However, I have orchids blooming --here are the first two to show their happy faces:

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2020 :  7:06:18 PM  Show Profile
Oh Judith!! You are so lucky/blessed! Those are plum beautiful!! I've NO luck with orchids!! Bummer for me!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  07:10:10 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I didnt realize you still had cooler weather! The DJ is from around the Dimmit area. Not sure how far that is from you. Hope Spring springs up quickly! Thought the groundhog predicted a shortened winter?

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  08:03:29 AM  Show Profile
Dianna, Dimmit is in far west Texas at the bottom of the panhandle. I'm in northeast Texas about 30 miles south of the Red River and OK. It'll be in the high 70 today and hi 50 tomorrow - that's Texas weather - always changing until it gets to summer and then it's just hot & humid.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  08:19:59 AM  Show Profile
Judith,, lucky you.. my Orchids are not faring well this year for some reason... no blooms. (last year they barely got a few buds which dried and fell off)..
I divided them recently, gave them a good soak too... but I think this house is not Orchid friendly... my last 2 homes,, I had the perfect spot,, indirect lite and warmth... but this is a darker, colder house.... I need to keep moving my orchids around... humidity is a key factor,, and this house is quite dry because we have to run the heater constantly.. uugh!
Orchids aren't hard to grow,, they just need the right location...

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  09:11:56 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm Sara, I'd like some of that 70/50's again!! I love spring and fall so much and we are lucky to have maybe a couple weeks of each! It's been mid to upper 80s here. Yuk. Summer is hot and humid and winter, just blah. Enjoy yours while you can then stay cool!!:)

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2132 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2132 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  10:32:38 AM  Show Profile
Grace and Dianna-- Cymbidiums are definitely the easiest to grow. Getting them to bloom is something else again. The past two years I only had one bloom, This year 5 have spikes, one plant that never bloomed for me has 6 spikes. One that was going to bloom in January was brought inside as it was 30 degrees out and it promptly dropped all the buds. I haven't really figured them out yet -- it must be a certain combination of weather, water, and fertilizer but I keep trying. Some years I get lucky.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  12:57:41 PM  Show Profile
Potatoes and Peas in, Let the growing begin.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  1:02:00 PM  Show Profile
Diana, great job on getting your potatoes & peas in.

Go to Top of Page

saram
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

Sara
Biggs CA
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2020 :  08:49:45 AM  Show Profile
Diana that’s exactly what I have in! I’m not very familiar with either of them but I already (after 10 days) see the tiny green necks of the peas breaking the surface of the soil. I have both sugar snap and Lincoln shelling peas in. I started some also last fall but, as usual, the weeds overcame me. Still, yesterday I found a handful of the sugar snaps and finally found the shelling row under all the filaree. So this time around I’m determined to stay ahead of the weeds.

The potatoes just went in yesterday.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Garden Gate: Previous Topic 2020 Our Gardens Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page