cowgirlup@21
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Darla
Hadashville Manitoba
Canada
15 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2020 :  4:05:30 PM  Show Profile

I am writing this to gain my expert level of Shopping Green. I attended a sustainability course to complete my post bach of education. during that course we watched the three next u tube videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GorqroigqM - the story of stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj5F2TD8nsA - life as a plastic bag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLgh9h2ePYw - mocumentary plastic bag
After watching these videos I have never looked at a plastic bag the same. I have used one or two since but have reduced 85 - 95% of plastic bag usage. It is vital that we use reusable cloth or other types of fabric that break down within the environment and we continue to help Mother Nature. In the simple reduction of green house gasses in the past few months people have seen what many believe could happen if the earth got a break from pollution. My hope and dream is that we can continue down this path after the end of covid 19. If any one would like to do a bag swap with me I would enjoy the opportunity to exchange with you.

Cheers!!

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4715 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4715 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2020 :  06:27:03 AM  Show Profile
Good luck with working on your badge. If you have time, try to watch PBS's show "Frontline: Plastic Wars". It is quite an eye opener and really angered me. I knew part of the story about plastic waste, but didn't realize how much the industry manipulated the system from the very beginning of its legislation in Washington. All plastics can have the recycling symbol on them, even though only 10% is actually recyclable. The oil industry are the ones making plastic and are pouring billions right now into making more.

Dawn in IL

Bloom, where you are planted.
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlup@21
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Darla
Hadashville Manitoba
Canada
15 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2020 :  07:15:32 AM  Show Profile
There is alot of greed and wrong doing in both Canada and the US. The right thing to do would for government to pass legislation for all packaging to be 100% recyclable, and f we are so smart we can do it.

Cheers!!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4715 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4715 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2020 :  08:46:39 AM  Show Profile
Unfortunately the lobbyists for the oil/plastic companies got to the politicians and got through the legislation back in the 1970's to completely benefit themselves. There is almost nothing in it to protect the environment. Until we put an end to the donations filling the politicians pockets from these companies, that unfortunately will always happen.

Dawn in IL

Bloom, where you are planted.
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlup@21
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Darla
Hadashville Manitoba
Canada
15 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2020 :  09:32:33 AM  Show Profile
True however I like t think that if we publicly band together and take a stand change will happen....... Hopefully quick enough to save the planet.

Cheers!!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2020 :  3:28:10 PM  Show Profile
Darla, thank you for sharing with us. I will check out the videos you shared. Congratulations on completing your expert level! What do you plan to work on next?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlup@21
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Darla
Hadashville Manitoba
Canada
15 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2020 :  6:07:08 PM  Show Profile
I am thinking of doing the collection badge next, then perhaps going Green 1. by the way , i am having a hard time loading up my picturs up on my badge applications.

Cheers!!
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2020 :  05:13:54 AM  Show Profile
Darla, congratulations on all of your hard work for this very important badge! I know what you mean that when you start to dig into the issue of recycling and abuse of plastics, it becomes overwhelming to figure out how to really start making the necessary changes for the future, I will take time to listen to the links you provided, so thank-you.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2020 :  1:24:54 PM  Show Profile
Darla, have you been able to figure the pictures out yet? If not, Brian can help you figure it out. He is the tech savvy guy around here.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Tchr66
True Blue Farmgirl

452 Posts

Terri
Clarington Ohio
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2020 :  4:08:17 PM  Show Profile
Darla, you mentioned a bag swap. That sounds interesting. i am wondering if you would consider organizing one for the Swap page?

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord
Joshua 24:15
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Shopping Green Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page