YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2022 :  04:49:38 AM  Show Profile
Denise, I keep it in the shade. It's in the west window now but only gets filtered sun for a couple of hours a day. The sideporch (carport) & neighbor's gaint oak tree keeps that side of my house in shade until the sun gets low in the sky before it sets. Then the sun shines into the lower part of that window.

After it finishes blooming I will put it back into the tub until spring with shower curtain drawn. No sunlight. I'll water it only if the leaves start to show signs of needing water.

After the threat of frost has passed I'll put it out on the back deck in the shade. It will stay there with no water except for rain until it begins to bloom again in the fall. If there is danger of frost before it begins to bloom I will bring it in and keep it away from sunlight. When first buds appear I will water & ferterize; place in west window and the cycle begins again.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2022 :  07:54:13 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for that info. I have wondered about putting it in the basement where it's dark. Should I water it when its down there or just check the leaves and water then while it's down there?

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2022 :  09:33:41 AM  Show Profile
Basement should work just fine. Check the leaves before watering. The leaves hold water so when they show signs of drying it's time to water. Sometimes it's hard for me to remember they are cacti and the leaves still have enough water even if the soil is dry to an inch or two.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Christmas Cactus Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page