levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9245 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2022 :  04:37:29 AM  Show Profile
What do you all like about the electric canner over the old type on the stove? Pressure canning has always scared me though I have used one. I have never canned anything in one except deer meat when my mom was showing me how to use it. What are the pros and cons?

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Oct 04 2022 04:38:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2135 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2135 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2022 :  10:36:16 AM  Show Profile
The pros for me is it's automatic and smarter than me. My old pressure cooker scared the bejeesus out of me. Too much guesswork ad watching especially with an electric stove. The new electric one is so easy -- just set it and let it do its thing. They have built in safety measures.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2022 :  12:49:35 PM  Show Profile
OK canners! I just heard a cool idea, and some of you may already do this.
When storing your empty jars, which take up space anyway, wash them, fill with water and put lids and rims on. Voila! An emergency stash of water. I have a ton of used lids since I just pop off with my finger when I open a canned jar, the pop is still there, and the rim intact. I may have been known to reuse my lids, but don't tell the canning police. Anyway, I plan on doing this.
I suppose it would be a good idea to boil the water if using for drinking, and that is where it is good to have a camp stove on hand for emergencies.
We have a woodburning stove and some other options, but I have my eye on this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Twinkle-Portable-Carrying-Outdoor-Camping/dp/B08DKCVX9S/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=bilrY&content-id=amzn1.sym.8cf3b8ef-6a74-45dc-9f0d-6409eb523603&pf_rd_p=8cf3b8ef-6a74-45dc-9f0d-6409eb523603&pf_rd_r=3J3CJ02B66BANWQQ8KD2&pd_rd_wg=6s7Ux&pd_rd_r=1eef93df-8de3-4d10-8971-55daf97bd7d7&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mi
Mostly because it is cute. I believe it uses propane cannisters. One of the YOu Tube channels I love is a Korean lady Hamimommy who has the most calming videos, and I see her cooking on this all the time.
Anyway, I digressed big time, but I think the water storage idea is a great one, especially if you are like me, and have a multitude of empty jars.
Happy canning..... & water storage!!!

Oh, and if you need to use the jars, the water can be used to fill up the canner!

Edited by - nubidane on Oct 04 2022 12:55:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2022 :  03:28:46 AM  Show Profile
I do like my electric canner. The ease of use. Once you have the regulator on, you don't have to sit and watch it for 90 min. or whatever recipe your using. I will not get rid of my stove top pressure canner. I still use that for larger batches. And it is actually faster then the electric one, for cooling down. I have not timed them for the time it takes to heat, vent and get up to pressure. It is an investment though. I had both canners going, doing the stove one last. It was done canning within 4 min of the electric and I took the jars out a long time before the electric one was done cooling down. So it does take longer to go through all the steps. I am on a facebook group for Presto digital canner and they say customer service is the best. But that being said people have had issues with the electronic side of things. My only issue was operator error. Lisa people actually can water to have on hand. I think they water bath it, but not positive. They put in jars of water, when their canner is not full.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2022 :  07:22:03 AM  Show Profile
You guys are tempting me with the electric canners!
Yeah I have heard of people canning water, I think Nini does, but I like that you can reuse the old lids and not process. We'll see how it goes!
I guess you could reuse the old lids to can the water in the empty spaces too

Edited by - nubidane on Oct 05 2022 07:25:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2022 :  07:50:01 AM  Show Profile
The directions for my electric pressure canner suggest canning water when there is not a full canner. Canning water to drink or use in cooking makes sense to me. To use the water for other purposes I think it does not have to be canned.

I like the ease of my electric canner and the longer cool off period is okay for me because by that time I am ready to rest. I also use that time to clean my kitchen so when I am through canning everything is washed and put away.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2022 :  09:09:29 AM  Show Profile
I have four hobo suppers in the oven for the freezer. I am feeling better every day so hopefully in the next couple of days I will be canning, and the hobo suppers will come in handy. I used 93/7 organic grass-fed ground beef to make patties. The vegetables are red onion, bite-size yellow potatoes, green beans, and carrots. Seasoned with S&P, fresh Syrian oregano and sage. I will probably get two meals out of each supper.

Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

764 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
764 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2022 :  4:35:56 PM  Show Profile
Your hobo suppers sound really good, Sara!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2022 :  02:48:59 AM  Show Profile
It will be nice to have extra suppers, that are just heat and serve. Good job Sara. I have not been making anything extra lately. Kind of on a downer after being busy. I do have butter out to make cookies and a pie before work. If I get that inspired. I need something for my lunch. Right now..........not too inspired. lol

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2022 :  06:20:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Debbie. I also baked a meatloaf surrounded by veggies. Froze three servings and will have one for lunch today.

Michelle, I've been thinking about buying mini meat pie molds that can also be used for fruit pies. Would be great for making up a bunch and freezing some. Now that's it's cooler I am using my oven again and I think I would use the pie molds enough to justify buying them. I know you will come up with something really tasty to take in your lunch.

Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

764 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
764 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2022 :  06:29:10 AM  Show Profile
Meatloaf is one of my favorite comfort foods, especially this time of year.
My aunt used to make the most delicious chicken pot pies; she’d make a large batch and then freeze them. She used small foil pie pans and would reuse them for the next time. It was something she would take when they were traveling in their camp trailer.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2022 :  07:06:19 AM  Show Profile
That's such a sweet memory you have of your aunt. Using pie tins for pot pies is a great idea.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2135 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2135 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2022 :  7:22:37 PM  Show Profile
DH will be leaving soon on his annual 6 week hunting trip soon. For the past month I have been making meals that provide leftovers to freeze so I can eat while he is gone (I don't like to cook just for me). So far I have frozen Moroccan stew, split pea soup, lima beans and ham, ravioli casserole, lentil soup, chicken tamale casserole, and chili. I figure that's two weeks of dinners so this week I need to make a few more. Running out of ideas.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2022 :  08:01:21 AM  Show Profile
Judith, baked pasta with meat or veggie sauce freezes good. Also, the time-tested chicken & rice casserole.

Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

764 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
764 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2022 :  08:41:39 AM  Show Profile
That’s a great idea, Judith! I know that I don’t like to cook just for myself when my husband is gone. More time for you to work on fun projects and not have to stop and fix a meal.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2022 :  04:28:13 AM  Show Profile
We have I think 8 of the little pie tins. My husband has made little chicken pot pies and we have froze them. I think he baked them first. But they are handy for individual servings. Judith on the web, you should be able to find brown bag burritos. Basically you put your hamburger, beans cheese and what ever in a tortilla and roll it up and freeze it. Then you can thaw and reheat. My son and his wife makes breakfast burritos that they really like.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

347 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
347 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2022 :  10:47:25 AM  Show Profile
I found this great Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies recipe for Christmas & thought I would share it here on the forum. I made mine into snowflakes, but you can make whatever design appeals to you in the moment:-

Gluten-Free Sugar Cookies

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 large egg
1 tbsp water or milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp xantham gum (omit if your all-purpose flour has it)
2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour

Cream the sugar and butter in a large bowl. Add the egg, water, vanilla, salt and cinnamon. Blend until mixed well. Add the xantham gum (if using) and flour. Mix at a low speed until well combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside. Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface, about 1/4-inch thick. Cut out dough with selected cookie cutters, and place on baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cookies cool for 5 minutues before removing them to a cooling rack. Cool completely before decorating.

I used a Royal Icing recipe using 3 egg whites (beat until frothy). Add 4 cups icing sugar (beat until thick & shiny). Add 1 tsp vanilla.

Farmgirl #6058
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2021

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1419 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1419 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2022 :  7:41:29 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, your cookies look yummy!!! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2022 :  8:14:12 PM  Show Profile
Yum and beautiful cookies Cindy!! Be right over!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6448 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6448 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2022 :  9:21:33 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Cindy. I am GF so I can not wait to try them.
Happy New Year.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012, February 2018, September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple, I am Old now!!

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2022 :  03:31:26 AM  Show Profile
The cookies look picture perfect, hope they taste good for you too.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2023 :  4:32:37 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, your cookies turned out beautiful and I know they tasted delicious too! What a perfect shape to use considering your area was being blasted with snow and more snow!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Lacey
Chapter Guru

160 Posts

Rea
Davis Ca
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2023 :  12:09:03 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, your cookies look delicious and so beautifully decorated.

Rea Nakanishi
Farm Girl Of The Month Jan. 2022
“Action is the foundational key to all success.”
– Pablo Picasso
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

347 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
347 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2023 :  1:50:46 PM  Show Profile
My dear farmgirl friend, April, recently shared a recipe with me for "Cardamom-Carrot Bars". I absolutely LOVE cardamom, so I had to give it a try. I have adapted the original recipe to be gluten-free and I didn't have any carrots in the fridge, so I used grated Butternut Squash instead which created a delicious, moist result.

Here's Cindy's Gluten-Free version of the "Cardamom-Carrot Bars":-

1/2 cup raisins (soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes, then drained)
2 cups brown sugar
2/3 cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup shredded carrot (or Butternut Squash or Sweet Potato)
2 cups Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour (with Xanthan Gum)
1/2 cup pistachios, chopped
1/2 cup white choc-chips
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cardamom (or ground ginger would be nice too)
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and line and 8-inch baking pan. Beat sugar, butter and vanilla. Add eggs & combine. Fold in carrots, flour, pistachios, raisins, choc-chips, baking powder, cardamom, baking soda, and salt. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes. When cool, slice into bars.

Farmgirl #6058
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2021

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2023 :  2:06:05 PM  Show Profile
Cindy thanks for sharing Debbie's recipe and I think butternut squash would be a good substitute for carrots.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic "Current Kitchen Creations" Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page