Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Swap
 RE-READ -- Feed Sack Project 2021
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic RE-READ -- Feed Sack Project 2021 Next Topic
Page: of 9

Cydnie
Sister #2396

109 Posts

Cydnie
Moscow Idaho
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2020 :  09:46:37 AM  Show Profile
And here’s something flour-sack adorable to stitch from MaryJane’s Ideabook!

~Cydnie
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2020 :  12:51:04 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I see Cydnie actually included ideas from MJ's "Wild Bread" book too. Thanks sew much.

Edited by - JeanP on Dec 22 2020 1:11:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2020 :  1:06:24 PM  Show Profile
Thank you sew much Cydnie for sharing these dellightful feed sack projects from "MaryJane's Ideabook". Does this mean you'll be joining us? Wink. Winkk.

Please everyone keep those ideas and feed sack stories coming. These humble pieces of cloth are such a special part of our history. And that has inspired me to order the PBS documentary "The Depression" by Ken Burns on Netflix. This is an exquisitely done historical record of the Great Depression . . . very informative and entertaining.

On to a bit of housekeeping here. When I send out your feed sack, I will put an asterisk with the date sent by your name on the PARTICIPANTS list above. I'm trying to stay organized as a Swap Host newbie. Thanks for bearing with me. Also, I still need mailing addresses for Hammah Nik and Gail. I have your packages ready to go but don't know where to send them.

jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2020 :  1:40:43 PM  Show Profile
I thought I'd seen some ideas via MaryJanes!! Awesome Cydnie! Thank you for cute cute inspiration!!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2020 :  1:43:00 PM  Show Profile
Awww, Julie, I pray everything is ok!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2020 :  3:55:19 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Hope you are okay, Julie.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2020 :  4:05:15 PM  Show Profile
We're gonna miss Julie (Treelady). Send lots of prayers and power thoughts her way.
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking

Edited by - JeanP on Dec 22 2020 4:08:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2020 :  5:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
MJ also has an Egg Gathering Apron that many of us have made - that might also be a possibility. Or a MJF dish drainer quilt - pattern available on line, I think. I have 3 of them I alternate out.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Dec 22 2020 5:07:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2020 :  6:09:35 PM  Show Profile
I’ve been thinking a lot about what I want to make for my Feed Sack Project. There are so many wonderful ideas, it’s hard to choose just one. But I have picked a name and general idea for it. I’m going to call my project “Honor the Old, Embrace the New”. It will be a melding together of vintage fabric and pattern with the benefit of modern-day construction tools such as my embroidery machine and electronic fabric cutter. And, of course, I will probably add some non-vintage companion fabrics to the project as well.
I will be honoring the wonderful history of Feed Sacks and the hard times of the Great Depression that made their various uses so prevalent by women making do with very little, as well as honoring all of us Farmgirls who have survived this very challenging year of pandemic pandemonium making do under very harsh circumstances. But I will surely be embracing the hope of the New Year and relief from Coronamadness. I will show my love of the new by utilizing current-day technology to construct my project.
OK, philosophically I’m on a roll here. But getting right down to basics, I haven’t a clue as to what exactly I am going to make . . . oh, decisions, decisions . . .

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2020 :  8:45:40 PM  Show Profile
Oh My,, Cydnie, cute idea,, the broom cover..

The small feed sacks would be great for the 'bowel covers'...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2020 :  10:08:43 AM  Show Profile
Please add my name to this list too! This is a going to be a fun challenge for sure.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2020 :  11:31:59 AM  Show Profile
Woo Hoo Winnie's With Us!!

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2020 :  12:22:27 PM  Show Profile
I'm reading "Feedsack Secrets: Fashion from Hard Times" by Gloria Nixon and wanted to share this quote with you. If you go back to Katmom's post on December 21, you'll see the booklet the quote refers to. Maybe Katmom will share more from it with us. As I read this book, I'm learning that during this period feed sacks were most commonly referred to as "dress print bags".

"The 1950s was the decade of contests for the dress print bag. As paper containers gained acceptance, the National Cotton Council took action to protect its interests in cotton and keep the product in high demand with the housewife. The solution, at least for a short while, was in contests. Following are a few of the many that helped prolong the time of the patterned feedsack. In 1953, the National Cotton Council announced a “National Cotton Bag Sewing Contest.” Mrs. Esther McGugin won the title of “International Cotton Bag Sewing Queen” along with a new Pfaff sewing machine. This 1954 Idea Book for Sewing with Cotton Bags stated the rules for the next contest in the series, the “Save with Cotton Bags” Sewing Contest."

Hmmmm . . . . I wonder . . . . what WERE the rules for the next contest? Tag. You're it, Katmom.javascript:insertsmilie('') jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking

Edited by - JeanP on Dec 23 2020 12:27:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2020 :  1:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I love those old books. My Singer books says I need to be "prepared" to sew or something like that. And we had to make sure we were presentably dressed for our husbands when they got home from work and had to have dinner ready. Really? I never would have made it. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

isewbernina
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Kathy
Salina KS
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2020 :  3:19:06 PM  Show Profile
I just checked out the book from the library Jean, and learned that gingham in pink or blue were the first colors chosen for the prints! The writer is from my family's county Wabaunsee, KS , Whooo. So I am reading the history and really enjoying it. Thank you very much. I wore many of these garments made from these sacks. My mom was a dressmaker and alterations person. My grandparents lived on a farm and grandpa was instructed to buy the feed sacks. Lots of memories in this book. ;o)
Thanks for the information
Kathy

“Kindness is Free, Sprinkle that Stuff Everywhere.”
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2020 :  5:45:38 PM  Show Profile
Jean.. you crack me up..
I kind of think I know what I want to make.. but then I go on pintrest and see 'sew' many fabulous ideas...
My 'sack cloth' is on my ironing board.. now to get creative and get itchin' to stitchin'...
HoHoHO!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2020 :  4:17:44 PM  Show Profile
Time to hit the shower and wash my hair. I haven’t had a haircut since February and boy, do I ever look like a wild woman. But rest assured, I HAVE showered since then. As I’ve been researching feed sacks and that era, I ran across an interesting reference to pin curls which led me to reminisce about spoolies. Do you remember them? I wish I had my spoolies now, but I do have a sleeve of bobby pins somewhere. Let’s see if I remember correctly, you wind a small clump of hair around your finger then put your fingertip to your head and flatten down the curled hair before securing it with the bobby pin. Is that correct?
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2020 :  4:40:43 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
OMG! Me, too. This is the first time almost ever, I think, that it's been over a year since I had a haircut. MY last haircut was November 2019. And I really need one. I wish I could find someone to come to the house to cut mine. I have bobbi pins and could do that - almost afraid to find out how it would turn out, though. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2020 :  4:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
That's an expensive book. $42 on Amazon.com; $4.99 for Kindle. LOL! Have to see if the library has it.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2020 :  4:56:59 PM  Show Profile
Yep Linda . . . The paper version is too pricey for me. I have it on my Kindle. But apparently some libraries have it.

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Quiltwright
True Blue Farmgirl

346 Posts

Cristy
LAKE HAVASU CITY AZ
USA
346 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2020 :  1:40:37 PM  Show Profile
Am I too late? I haven't been checking the posts lately and hope I haven't missed this one. Sounds like fun!

Enjoying the day
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2020 :  2:03:32 PM  Show Profile
MERRY CHRISTMAS Farmgirls and Feed Sack swappers . . . The Holiday party is just about over, but our Farmgirl fun continues on. Woo Hoo Santa heard me and brought me a copy of Mary Jane's beautiful Idea Book for Christmas. I see many happy hours spent reading by the fire in my future. And for those of you who already have this book, in addition to the suggestion posted above by Cydnie, be sure to check out some of the fun feed sack project possibilities starting on pg. 216

A friend of mine also sent me the following two fabulous links in case you have not already run across them in your internet excursions:
https://www.pinterest.com/gaylemoussa/feed-bag-ideas/

https://www.pinterest.com/carajrussell/feed-and-grain-sack-projects/

CRISTY -- you are absolutely in. Welcome. Be sure to send me a private email with your feedsack selection and mailing address so I can get it sent off to you.

Now that this year's Christmas projects are behind us, I hope more of you talented farmgirls will join this Feedsack Project Swap and have fun creating and learning more about this special part of our cultural history. I'm taking names until January 5 and will post partners on January 6. Then you'll have a month to make your wonderful creations to mail out the first week in February. What fun Valentine's presents we are all going to receive. I can hardly wait.

jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2020 :  3:20:09 PM  Show Profile
Where did my message disappear to??? May I join the fun???

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2020 :  3:30:09 PM  Show Profile
Hahahaha . . . you sent it "privately". Got you on the list and got your feed sack all packaged and ready to mail out on Monday.
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

jmpiercy
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Joan
Lansing North Carolina
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2020 :  12:36:46 PM  Show Profile
Jean, do you have room for one more? It sounds like fun. I will understand if you don't.

Joan P.
Farmgirl Sister #8056

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, And live like it's heaven on earth." - William W. Purkey

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Phillippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic RE-READ -- Feed Sack Project 2021 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page