True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2021 :  3:47:04 PM  Show Profile

FEED SACKS LIVE ON

YES! We get to do it one more time with big Farmgirl hugs and thank yous to MaryJane and Joan Piercy who have made a supply of feed sacks available to us.

As I researched for our first Feed Sack Project I learned many things about that time in our history such as – the real “hay day” of the printed feed sacks was in the later 30’s and the 40’s during WWII. And as I sit in my cozy, warm house with more than enough to eat, I am reminded that on my very worst day during the pandemic of 2020/2021 I have had it much better than the very best day of many who lived through those incredibly hard times. So Farmgirls, lets participate in the FEED SACKS LIVE ON swap with an attitude of gratitude for our many blessings and to those who persevered during those times to make the world a better place for those of us who followed.

If you have been able to acquire a feed sack to use yourself, that’s wonderful and will allow more Farmgirls to join us. If not, let me know, send me your mailing address (if I don’t have it already from the first swap), and I will send you one -- a random choice. Some pieces are larger than others, so it will be first come, first served until the supply is exhausted. Sign ups until February 28. Partners posted March 1. Oh yes, mailing . . . How about a month to create our wonderful projects? So mail by March 31. APRIL 10.

Not sure what to make? I would encourage you to read (or re-read) all the postings from the FEED SACK PROJECT page to familiarize yourself with the wonderful stories that were posted and the delightful projects that were made. Think aprons, vintage or retro style table adornments, clothes pin bags, broom and flyswatter aprons, pin cushions, book marks, stuffed toys . . . . you get it :-) Hopefully we'll have more wonderful stories this go-around too.

For more inspiration, here are some books to read and links to check out. I would also encourage you to check out Depression Era movies on NetFlix. There are some outstanding documentaries such as "The Dust Bowl" by Ken Burns as well as movies from, or about, the era. Think Shirley Temple, the beloved underdog racehorse Seabiscuit and the delightfully innocent musicals and comedies. Instead of X rated love scenes, happily married Mom and Dad always had twin beds. LOL.

BOOKS

"Feedsack Secrets: Fashion from Hard Times" by Gloria Nixon
“MaryJane’s Wild Bread”
“MaryJane’s Ideabook”
"The Four Winds" by Kristin Hannah
“Whose Names are Unknown” by Sanora Babb
"Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck
"The Persian Pickle Club" by Sandra Dallas
"West With Giraffes" by Lynda Rutledge
"Hard Times Cookbook with Back to Basics Great Depression Cooking" by Anna Patterson

INTERNET LINKS

https://singer-featherweight.com/

https://www.pinterest.com/gaylemoussa/feed-bag-ideas/

https://www.pinterest.com/carajrussell/feed-and-grain-sack-projects/

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=df6f6f4700&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1689236615633624214&th=17715fc0806cdc96&view=att&disp=safe

Lovin Feed Sacks and our Farmgirls,
jean

FEED SACKS LIVE ON **** PARTNERS ****

JoanP (Joan) --JeanP (Jean)
IsewBernina (Kathy) -- StitchinWitch (Judith)
Katmom (Grace) -- Pizzarita (Rita)
Quiltee (Linda) -- TexasGran (Marilyn)
Nndairy (Heather) -- BlessedinColorado (Debbie, but she really lives in Oregon)
Doctordar (Darlene) -- Hammahsfarm (Niki)
RedTractorGirl (Winnie) -- Quiltwright (Christy)

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking

Edited by - JeanP on Jan 15 2022 2:02:57 PM

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2021 :  7:14:49 PM  Show Profile
Whoot Whoot let the 2nd round of feed sack fun begin!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2021 :  7:26:01 PM  Show Profile
thought you all might enjoy some feed/flour sack creations of the years past..

can you imagine the 'swapping' that went on for certain prints?

How cute are these 2 ladies...

The Flour sack Family...

Depression/Oklahoma Dust Bowl era.

Feed/Flour sacks we also for the frugal family.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2021 :  7:31:38 PM  Show Profile
ok,, and some photos of vintage feed/flour sack fabric..
Wish I could get my hands on some of these..

ok... are you hooked on feed/flour sacks yet?
lolol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2021 :  8:54:11 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Please sign me up, Jean.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2021 :  09:33:51 AM  Show Profile
Jean, I'd love to participate again but for now I'm going to lay low. The hubs is finally coming home first week in March and he and I are going to reside or log home, together, adding windows and taking away doors! My life will be extremely busy for a few weeks until he returns to work!! I'll miss yall but I just won't have time. Such a fun swap too.....

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2021 :  10:37:24 AM  Show Profile
We'll miss you Dianna. But I'm sure glad to hear your hubby will be home soon. The construction project sounds daunting.

Katmom Graci thanks for the awesome photos. Sure takes me down memory lane. I'm remembering Mama making a dressing table out of two orange crates with a plank on top and thumb tacking a feed sack skirt around it. And making a homemade scooter out of a wooden box and broken pair of roller skates. And remember the blocks of margarine with the little red soft pill that you had to break and smush all through the margarine to turn it yellow? And Pork & Beans sandwiches on white Wonder Bread . . . . And, well, tell us about the things you remember Farmgirls.

Kathy and Linda -- no Scottie sacks this time but lookie here at the awesome sack stack that MaryJane sent us to play with . . . Ready to play with some more feed sacks, Farmsisters? Hugs, jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2021 :  10:37:48 AM  Show Profile
Please sign me up and send me a feed sack...pretty please with sugar on it! Thanks Jean. I will send you some postage again.

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2021 :  10:57:37 AM  Show Profile
I'd love to create another feedsack project. I'm too young to have any stories to tell but I sure do love the pictures of the fabric Grace!! Especially the one with the rolling pins and tea kettles and the one with the laundry!!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2021 :  11:23:08 AM  Show Profile
Kathy, Grace, Linda, Marilyn, Heather. . . Sew glad your playing again. And Joan, especially dear Joan who has contributed to the Feed Sack stash to make this second go-around possible. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!
hugs,
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2021 :  1:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I don't need any scotties - I'm a kittie person. lol
I'd like a larger piece, if possible - I have a pattern picked out. If not, I can change gears and find something else to make. All of those Mary Jane pieces are beautiful. Love flowers.

Thank you for doing this again, Jean.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2021 :  2:00:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh My! what fun prints...
and what fun colors.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2021 :  2:04:37 PM  Show Profile
Jean, I have my 'idea'.. sew, would it be ok to ask for a cloth that is a small/busy print?
But I will take what ever...

I have another idea brewing in my head,, but unfortunatley I am not at home so I can't access my patterns..
But if we do a 3rd go around .. I'll be sure to make it..

ok, back to work..
>^..^<

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2021 :  2:41:10 PM  Show Profile
Absolutely gorgeous feedback materials!!! MaryJane sent amazing fabric patterns!! I'll pop in every once in a while to see everyone's beautiful creations!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2021 :  11:04:55 AM  Show Profile
Every morning when I hit the computer and open up the MJF Connection, I do a quick scroll down and try to read all the latest postings no matter what page they are on. Today, my heart is aching for the suffering of many of our Farmgirls who have been so hard hit by harsh winter conditions -- power outages, polluted water, spoiled food, "lack" of food. It's like the Great Depression Era all over again for them.

Yesterday I mentioned pork and bean sandwiches and the white margarine blocks we used to get. That and our Texas sister woes got me to thinking about food in general during those hard times, so I started one of my internet journeys into Depression Era food. I had read in almost every book thus far about Fried Dough which was a staple and often the only food available for long periods of time. It was merely flour, water and a bit of lard made into a dough. It was flattened or formed into balls and fried in lard. If Mama had a bit of sugar on hand, she sprinkled it on top. That was it. And then I came across Water Pie. Oh my goodness, I really am going to have to try this one, just because . . .

WATER PIE
1 9-inch deep dish pie shell unbaked
1-1/2 cups water
4 Tbs. flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
5 Tbs. butter, cut into 5 pieces

Preheat oven to 400. Pour water into pie crust. Stir together flour and sugar in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly over water in crust. Don't stir. Drizzle vanilla over water in pie crust. Place pats of butter on top. Place pie pan on baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 and cover sides of crust if necessary to keep from getting too brown. Continue baking for an additional 30 minutes.
Pie will be watery when you take it out of the oven but will gel as it cools. Allow to cool completely and then cover and place in the fridge until chilled before cutting.

I'm thinking this might turn into a good weight loss program. I'm beginning to feel guilty when I have delicious well balanced meals and seem to be automatically cutting down on my portion sizes. In one of the books I read recently there was a woman who after having only fried dough for several days was able to prepare a celebratory birthday meal for her and her two children. It was a one-pan dish made with 1 can of tomato soup, ONE hot dog cut into small pieces and just a single handful of macaroni.

Counting my blessings in Idaho,
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

doctordar
True Blue Farmgirl

147 Posts

Darlene
Newport WA
USA
147 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2021 :  1:34:34 PM  Show Profile
I would love to participate again! This was such a fun swap. Thank you for doing it again and for all of the historical information.

Dream - Believe - Manifest
She believed she could...so she did!
Farmgirl #7049
Go to Top of Page

jmpiercy
True Blue Farmgirl

440 Posts

Joan
Lansing North Carolina
USA
440 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2021 :  2:05:17 PM  Show Profile
Jean, you just amaze me at all the things you find and share. I want to try that pie as well.

My Dad and his mother, Nannie, never talked about the Depression, but they always had food when someone came to visit. As a result of going through the Depression, he has always bought food that was on sale wherever he went. My Dad & stepmother have two large chest freezers and one chest freezer as well as two refrigerators. He is 92 and my stepmother is 79 as well as an invalid. They live in Richmond, VA, and I visit as often as I can.

In 2019 I realized that they desperately needed help with everything. The first job my husband & I tackled was the food. They did not have any kind of system to rotate cans or items in the freezers so the old stuff would get used first. We had to throw away almost everything they had because it was too old to take the chance to eat or had dents & swelling. The USDA says that canned goods that have acidic foods are good for 18 months. Veggies and meats are good for 2 to 5 years if without dents, swelling & rust. The oldest cans we found were dated 1991. The oldest meats we found were 1999, not to mention the meats that looked too bad to eat. I would guess we threw out over $5,000 worth of food.

As we cleaned out, I moved all the canned goods we were keeping upstairs to a closed in porch they use every day. I also set up a system to rotate items. Dad sold the two large chest freezers. They keep the two refrigerators and the chest freezer full, so they don't ever feel like they will go hungry again.

It is so sad to me that life came to that & so many people suffered. My children's generation to the current generation have no idea what their grandparents and older generations have had to suffer through. I image there are lots of stories like this one out there.

Joan P.
Farmgirl Sister #8056

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth." - William W. Purkey

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Phillippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6448 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6448 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2021 :  3:36:02 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the email Jean and please sign me up. All my feedbacks are still packed until we get our forever home . So, if I can get one from you I would appreciate it.
This is such an interesting swap with so much history and I am happy to join in the fun.
Thank you.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”

Women are Angels, and
when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.
Go to Top of Page

Pizzarita
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Rita
Monroeville NJ
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2021 :  3:39:46 PM  Show Profile
Please sign me up, too! The last was so much fun to make. I will be sure to take pictures this time.

Rita
Farmgirl Sister #6110
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2021 :  4:33:14 PM  Show Profile
Oh Yes!! Please sign me up as well. I loved the past project we did. I will be sending you my mailing into as I do not have any feedback cloth myself.

Grace, I love those photos you found and shared! Especially the bags full of flour. I wonder if those were some of the most common source of prints? My Mom was 15 when the Great Depression hit and lived on a farm. She was all too familiar with saving and using feed sack and flour sack cloth for clothing.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Feb 21 2021 4:45:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2021 :  4:42:43 PM  Show Profile
All right!! Debbie, Darlene, Rita and Winnie -- you're in!!

And a big thank you to Niki who purchased some feed sacks on Etsy and is sending them to share. Our farmgirls are sew wonderful!!
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Hammahsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Nik
Baldwinsville NY
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2021 :  5:59:39 PM  Show Profile
Jean, I replied to your email! Glad you sent it. I would love to participate again. I spent the weekend trying to grab up a few more Feed sacks on Ebay. I was able to get a few - I will be sending your way this week when they arrive. I will keep one for myself to use - so you don't have to send me one for the swap.

So count me in. I am just finishing up my last Feed Sack Project because I had ordered some items to add to it. I will be all set for this one!!!

I am excited to join!

Niki

Hammah Nik

Hammahsfarm
Farmgirl # 8102

The little red hen asked her friends, "Who will help me plant the seeds ?" "Not I," barked the lazy dog . "Not I," purred the sleepy cat . "Not I," quacked the noisy yellow duck . "Then I will," said the little red hen .
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2021 :  6:18:19 PM  Show Profile
WOW -- Hammah Nik -- You are really going the extra mile. THANK YOU SEW MUCH!!! You know, this just so much goes along with what I have been reading about those difficult times. The "Okies" == that was anyone who was trying to flee the Dust Bowl and heading west to California and what they hoped would be work and better times was called == were sorely misguided. They were treated unbelievably badly, and the only ones they could truly count on for help were the other "Okies" who often times had less than they did -- but they were kind and caring and willing to share what little they had. Thank you sew very much, Niki.
Farmgirl hugs,
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7506 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7506 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2021 :  01:14:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jean
I would like to give it a try please!
Please if you have an extra send me a cute feed sack!

Let me know the postage.

Thanks
Darlene

Trust in your faith, not your emotions, when it comes to making life’s decisions.
I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer
Just. follow God unquestionably Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I TRUST IN YOU JESUS

#4943 - March 2013
FGOTM June 2013
FGOTY 2016

Go to Top of Page

Quiltwright
True Blue Farmgirl

346 Posts

Cristy
LAKE HAVASU CITY AZ
USA
346 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2021 :  09:34:06 AM  Show Profile
Please add me too! I really enjoyed making the projects the first time around.

Enjoying the day
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2021 :  1:01:06 PM  Show Profile
Well, last night I started a re-read of a great Depression Era book I had forgotten that I had. I have the paperback, but I wanted to have it on my Kindle, so I ordered the e-book. If you haven't read it, I encourage you to do so. Not only is it a good peek at the Depression Era, it it a lovely glimpse into the strength of "farmgirls". Here is the review from the back cover --

"It is the 1930's, and hard times have hit Harveyville, Kansas, where the crops are burning up, and there's not a job to be found. For Queenie Bean, a young farm wife, a highlight of each week is the gathering of the Persian Pickle Club, a group of local ladies dedicated to improving their minds, exchanging gossip, and putting their quilting skills to good use. When a new member of the club stirs up a dark secret, the women must band together to support and protect one another. In her magical, memorable novel, Sandra Dallas captures the ties that unite women through good times and bad".

I would be happy to lend my paperback copy to anyone who would like to read it. Just let me know and I will send it with your feed sack. When you're done you can either return it to me or send it on to the next person if I get more than one request.

Darlene (darlenelovesart) and Christy (Quiltwright) thanks for joining us. And here's a little lunch idea for you from the era. How about some cold milk stew or coffee soup or a fried potato peel sandwich? Yum!

Farmgirl hugs,
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic RE-READ -- Feed Sacks Live On Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page