darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7485 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7485 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2021 :  6:06:13 PM  Show Profile
Jean, I going to have to take my name off this swap for now, I maybe having dental surgery sometime soon, not sure of the date, I am waiting for clearances.

I will be watching.

Hugs
Darlene

Trust in your faith, not your emotions, when it comes to making life’s decisions.
I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer
Just. follow God unquestionably Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I TRUST IN YOU JESUS

#4943 - March 2013
FGOTM June 2013
FGOTY 2016

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6395 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6395 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2021 :  6:41:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh h I can not wait for my feed sack to arrive-:)

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February 2018

“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”

Women are Angels,and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6395 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6395 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2021 :  6:48:29 PM  Show Profile
I just realized that a few years back my Dear Friend Connie (Killarney) for my birthday gave me a feed sack bag, it is so nice. Remember that Connie?
Here is a picture of one but mine is much nicer and better:-) Just saying!
At the moment it is still packed until we get to my forever home.
Thank you again Jean.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon

Women are Angels,and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2021 :  10:03:07 PM  Show Profile
Oh Darlene, we're gonna miss you. I just hate when life gets in the way. Don't you?
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2021 :  11:49:37 AM  Show Profile
OK Farmgirls . . . at the moment I'm kind of snowed/iced in here. It's been snowing, raining and snaining for years it seems like. And getting on or off our little hill is treacherous, so we have been staying put. Why, you ask, am I giving you all these labor pains? Just show me the baby -- in this case, the feed sacks. Well, it's because DH is not venturing out to the Post Office till access is a bit safer. But rest assured as soon as possible, feed sacks will be on their way.

In the meantime, as long as we keep the satellite dish cleaned off, the Internet is working OK. So I am exploring Depression Era recipes and will post a couple of fun ones later today.

And, here is another delightful Depression Era read for you -- "West With Giraffes" by Lynda Rutledge. The story of a rowdy teenager from the Dust Bowl who get a job helping to transport two giraffes cross country to the San Diego zoo in 1938. Oh my, the adventures he has . . . check it out.
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7485 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7485 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2021 :  3:58:42 PM  Show Profile
Yes Jean I do!
Thanks
Darlene

Trust in your faith, not your emotions, when it comes to making life’s decisions.
I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer
Just. follow God unquestionably Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I TRUST IN YOU JESUS

#4943 - March 2013
FGOTM June 2013
FGOTY 2016

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2021 :  8:29:55 PM  Show Profile
I would like to play, too. I have my own feedbacks.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2021 :  10:35:25 PM  Show Profile
Glad to have you with us Judith.
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2021 :  10:32:32 AM  Show Profile
Thank you sweet Mary Jane for the sack stack. We are having fun with this swap!

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2021 :  10:48:39 AM  Show Profile
Happy snowy Friday morning to all you creative Farmgirls. A couple of things for you here.

I'm getting feed sacks all put together and ready to mail as soon as my new supply of manila envelopes arrives. Should be today or tomorrow.

A few days ago I told you about the book "Purple Pickle Club". I have an extra paperback copy of it. If anyone would like to read it, let me know and I will send it to you with your feed sack. When you are done with it you can either return it to me or send it on to the next person if I have received more than one request to read it.

Another fun movie to watch about the Depression Era is "O Brother Where Art Thou" with George Clooney. Really a cute, feel-good story. And it is actually loosely based on the character Pappy O'Daniel, a politician of the time who owned a flour company -- think flour sacks. Cute, light, clean entertainment.

Recipes to follow in a separate posting . . .

jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking

Edited by - JeanP on Feb 26 2021 11:37:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2021 :  11:35:03 AM  Show Profile
Ah, the Great Depression. And Herbert Hoover got blamed for all it's woes. He was the 31st President elected in 1929. The problems that led to the hard times of the '30's were already at work when he was elected. But still, so many "remembrances" of that era bear his name, such as:

Hoover Flags -- pockets pulled out to show they were empty
Hooverville (s) -- shanty towns that sprang up as the homeless moved west
Hoover Stew -- made with any kind of macaroni, hot dogs cut into thin coins, canned tomatoes and corn undrained and beans if you had them. It wasn't "fancied up" other than with salt and pepper.

Another popular recipe was Soda Cracker Pie which actually dates back to Civil War times, but was a favorite during the depression days. Ritz Crackers even posted the recipe on their cracker boxes during WWII using Ritz Crackers of course. I have made this, and it really is quite tasty -- almost makes you think you're actually eating apple pie -- almost.

SODA CRACKER PIE

Pie crust -- double crust or single if making the optional crumb topping
2 tsp. cream of tartar
Zest and 2 Tbs. juice from one lemon
2 Tbs. butter cut into small pieces
1-3/4 cups water
36 crackers coarsely broken (about 1-3/4 cups)
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Optional Crumb Topping
25 crushed crackers
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter cut into small pieces

Mix sugar and cream of tartar in medium saucepan. Gradually stir in water. Bring to a boil on high heat then simmer on low heat 5 minutes. Stir in zest and juice and cool 30 minutes. Make optional crumb topping if using by mixing all the ingredients for it together until blended and set aside. Place broken cracker crumbs in unbaked pie crust. Pour sugar syrup over crumbs and top with butter and cinnamon. Top with either the second crust or optional crumb topping. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Lower heat to 350 degrees for another 20 minutes or until golden brown.

jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking

Edited by - JeanP on Feb 26 2021 2:10:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

isewbernina
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Kathy
Salina KS
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2021 :  1:04:32 PM  Show Profile
My entire family loves " Oh Brother Where Art Thou?" It is so funny and my 2 favorite scenes are the 'Down to the River" and the "Frog". If you haven't watched this movie do so.
I have my grandmother Fair's War Cake recipe I will look it up and post.
Kathy

“Kindness is Free, Sprinkle that Stuff Everywhere.”

"I was cut out to be rich but I was sewn up wrong"
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2021 :  3:13:27 PM  Show Profile
Ooooh, Kathy, I hope that's the same cake my mama used to make. I've never had the recipe, but remember it so well when I was a little girl during the war. How I loved that cake. Seems Mama would hoard or trade her ration stamps to be able to get what she needed for it -- probably the sugar or eggs. Can't wait to see your recipe.
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2021 :  4:58:17 PM  Show Profile
Jean - If no one has claimed it I'd love to read the Purple Pickle Club! What interesting recipes you're posting. I'm so thankful I've never had them before but I'm curious how they taste.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2021 :  5:01:16 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to say that Cinderella Man is another good depression era movie.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2021 :  5:47:36 PM  Show Profile
Heather -- you got it. I'll go put the book with your feed sack right now. And, I'm gonna take a little stroll over to NetFlix and order Cinderella Man. Never saw that one. Thanks. Not so sure about the Water Pie. But I've made the Soda Cracker Pie. Did it with Ritz crackers and it was really quite good. I'm thinking about trying it again and using apple juice instead of plain water. I bet that would be even better.
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6395 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6395 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2021 :  07:20:41 AM  Show Profile
Heather, if no one is next in line would you send me the Purple Pickle Club next.
Thank you.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon

Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2021 :  10:19:55 AM  Show Profile
Heather . . . definitely send it on to Debbie when you've finished it. So happy to share it with you. Any other takers? And today is the last day for signups for this swap. Partners posted tomorrow . . . or "tonight" if I'm up past midnight. LOL.
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2021 :  07:41:57 AM  Show Profile
I will be happy to send you the book when I'm finished Debbie.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2021 :  12:21:31 PM  Show Profile
Woo Hoo . . . partners just posted above and also right here . . . Be sure to contact your partner by private email for addresses and post here when you get your feedsacks.

JoanP (Joan) --JeanP (Jean)
IsewBernina (Kathy) -- StitchinWitch (Judith)
Katmom (Grace) -- Pizzarita (Rita)
Quiltee (Linda) -- TexasGran (Marilyn)
Nndairy (Heather) -- BlessedinColorado (Debbie, but she really lives in Oregon)
Doctordar (Darlene) -- Hammahsfarm (Niki)
RedTractorGirl (Winnie) -- Quiltwright (Christy)

Have fun. Can't wait to see your creations. Feed sacks are all going out today. Now if the Post Office angels will only smile on us . . .

Happy Creative March and sunny day hugs from
jean

. . . .Stephen Hawking

Edited by - JeanP on Mar 01 2021 12:23:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6395 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6395 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2021 :  3:57:31 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Heather.
We are partners woo, Hoo! I will email you my address :-)
I think I have your address but I will check for sure.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2021 :  11:09:24 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I love all your recipes, Jean. I'll have to try the Water pie - not sure about that. LOL! I think the Ritz cracker pie was called the Mock Apple Pie at one time. I googled and there are LOTS of Mock Apple Pie recipes using Ritz and other crackers.

Can't wait to get my feedsack. Ideas flowing. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Mar 02 2021 11:11:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2021 :  11:12:41 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Marilyn -

You and I are partners. WOO HOO! We haven't been partners in swaps for quite a while now. Can't wait to get the feedsack and I will get started on your items.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2021 :  1:07:51 PM  Show Profile
Debbie and I are all set!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701

Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2021 :  4:30:20 PM  Show Profile
My envelopes Finally arrived today, so feed sacks will go in tomorrow's mail. Some of you have indicated that you had your own. Following is a list of those I am sending feed sacks to. Please let me know right away, if I have missed anyone. Thanks and farmgirl hugs,
jean

Debra Fischer
Heather Neeper
Linda Ballard
Darlene Mossman
Rita Bowen
Winnie Nielsen
Cristy Marxsen
Marilyn Godfrey
Grace Brown

. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic RE-READ -- Feed Sacks Live On Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page