Allison Clark
Chapter Guru / Farmgirl Guide / Sharpshooter

76 Posts

Allie
Nacona Texas
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2021 :  01:49:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi working on the Civic Heritage merit badge. I was supposed to research a group of people from Santa Rosa ca. my hometown. This is what I came up with.
I did my research on the tribe of Pomo. They are natives known as the Bitakomtara. The Bitakomtara controlled the area closely, barring passage to others until permission was arranged. Those who entered without permission were subject to harsh penalties. The tribe gathered at ceremonial times on Santa Rosa Creek near present-day Spring Lake Regional Park. I went there as a child. I love this place. But the Pomos were decimated by smallpox brought from Europe. By 1900, the Pomo population had decreased by 95%. The Pomo Indians of Northern California relied upon fishing, hunting, and gathering for their daily food supply. The Pomo Indian culture is famed for its tradition of intricate basketry. The Pomoan languages became severely endangered after the European-American colonization of their native territory there are about twelve Pomo language varieties that are still in use by Pomo people. I visited recently and now that I know what I know it feels so different. Santa Rosa has so much history that I never knew about.

Allison Clark

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6718 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6718 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2021 :  12:04:58 PM  Show Profile
Allison, great work on your badge and thank you for sharing with us! It’s amazing how much learning some history about a place can change the way we feel and look at the place. Good luck with your badge submission.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Sweetsmom
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

6 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2021 :  4:33:56 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for sharing! Very interesting.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17034 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17034 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2021 :  10:53:29 PM  Show Profile
Allison.. I spent time in Ventura County,, and in Newbury Park there is a Chumash Tribe display at the Stage Coach Inn Museum... like the Pomo, they were a fishing, hunting tribe..

Thanx for sharing with us about the Pomo Tribe.. sadly many Native American children perished to smallpox in the 1800's...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Civic Heritage Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page