Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 7th Annual September Apple Festival 2021!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Holidays: Previous Topic 7th Annual September Apple Festival 2021! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2021 :  11:32:00 AM  Show Profile
Farmgirls, it is approaching that time again where we celebrate all things apple during the month of September with our Annual Farmgirl Apple Festival at MJF!! For those of you who are new, we started this seven years ago and have had lots of fun together.

This festival includes an Apple Swap, Apple Giveaways, lots of topics about all things apple to share with each other, an Apple Badge to work on if you wish, and the last Sunday of the month is our Apple Pie Sunday celebration. This year, Apple Pie Sunday is on September 26 so mark your calendars and check out your favorite recipes or maybe try something new. For those who are not big dessert eaters, a savory apple dish can be used instead. We like to share our ideas and then on the Apple pIe Sunday, share a photo or a note about what you enjoyed. Over the years, we have had lots of delicious ideas shared!!

I hope you will jump in this year and share any of your favorite apples to eat or cook with, apple trees that you have at your home, favorite apple memories from your childhood, and any other topic related to apples that you wish to share.

Welcome everyone and I hope you all enjoy some Apple Fun this year!! Remember, an Apple a day keeps the doctor away!!

Here I am in New Mexico a few years back purchasing some apples from the farmer's truck.

Here is a little view from my Apple tree I set up every year.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2021 :  12:21:51 PM  Show Profile
Oh my Winnie, I can't believe this is our 7th Apple Festival. Seems like just a year or two ago you started it. My apple project for this year is a mini tree with red, green, and gold wool apples. Have a few more apples to make and the tree will be finished. May make and hang a wee woolly sheep just for fun.

Now to find what apple pie recipe I will use for our Apple Pie Sunday and my once a year apple pie. You know how I do not look forward to baking, but I'll do it one more time just like I have for the past six years. Thinking about canning apple pie mix. It comes in handy for other things than pies.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2021 :  9:16:09 PM  Show Profile
Since pie crust isn't on a diabetic-friendly diet I'll make our favorite apple crisp recipe. I counted nine different varieties of apples at the grocery store. Many of my old favorites don't seem to be around any more. I especially miss Rome Beauty and Pippins.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2021 :  2:25:02 PM  Show Profile
I love when September rolls around and the apple festival starts. Definitely kicks off the fall vibes, which I am super excited for. I’m not sure if I will make a pie this year or another apple crisp. I still have time to decide luckily. I guess I’ll ask the kids what they would rather! I was just thinking about making some caramel apples this morning. They are so yummy. Oh how I love apples.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1744 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1744 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2021 :  6:52:45 PM  Show Profile
Would love apple crisp recipe

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2021 :  04:01:41 AM  Show Profile
If possible, could someone please give me a their favorite apple pie and crisp recipe? I have tried many and haven't quite found "the one" in either category. Apples are my tried & true favorite fruit and I can't wait to get some at our farmers market.

Dawn in IL

"Just living is not enough, one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower." Hans Christian Andersen
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2021 :  04:41:02 AM  Show Profile
Hard to believe it has been 7 years of our Apple Festival already! Just love this time of year and apples! Looking forward to all of the fun and yummy Apple dishes.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2021 :  2:03:27 PM  Show Profile
And here's our Farmgirl Apple Festival mascot tree fully loaded this year. Not very long ago (7 years) it was smothering to death in a 100+year old orchard that was overgrown. She's seeing the light of day now and gracing my 1968 Airstream with her good vibes (trailer to the left under the pavilion).

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2021 :  4:30:53 PM  Show Profile
How about our Mascot Apple tree everyone??? She is a beauty at 100+ years!! We all need a little elbow space , now don't we!! LOL!! For all of our newcomers to the Annual Farmgirl Apple Festival, we decided that this apple tree would be our Mascot for the celebration and MaryJane has cleared out all the stuff that was preventing her from looking her best. All of us here at "the Farm" have grown to love our Mascot and enjoy seeing what she is doing every September.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16960 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16960 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2021 :  9:04:21 PM  Show Profile
OK Winnie,, my husband is looking forward to Sept 26th,, to heck with his diet,, he wants a pie or Apple Crisp..

Mary Jane We have been dealing with apple maggots for the past 3 years,, but with continued pruning and picking off curled leaves, cleaning up around the ground we noticed we have less loss due to maggots..

I am reluctant to use pesticides on our tree.. Do you have any other suggestions?

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2021 :  12:18:30 PM  Show Profile
My husband looks forward to apple pie Sunday too! Maybe almost as much as I do LOL!!!!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2021 :  2:39:56 PM  Show Profile
I have been freezing apples the last couple days. I will be canning some apple pie filling, using MaryJanes recipe this year. easy way to have for pie or crisps.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4848 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4848 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2021 :  4:22:01 PM  Show Profile
I love your pictures Winnie!
Mary Jane, Our mascot tree is beautiful!
Such fun memories of the last 7years!
Connie #3392
Imagine....

Edited by - Killarney on Sep 09 2021 4:22:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2654 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2654 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2021 :  12:42:36 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful bushels of applies, Winnie!! LOVE!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2021 :  07:49:09 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, I have a new book “Mrs. Beeton’s Book of Household Management first published in 1861. Isabella Beeton wrote this about apples.

“The most useful of all the British fruits is the apple, which is a native of Britain, and may be found in woods and hedges, in the form of the common wild crab apple, of which all our best apples are merely seminal varieties, produced by culture or particular circumstances. In most temperate climates it is very extensively cultivated, and in England, both as regards variety and quantity, it is excellent and abundant. Immense supplies are also imported from the United States and France. The apples grown in the vicinity of New York are universally admitted to be the finest of any; but unless selected and packed with great care, they are apt to spoil before reaching England.”

I will be using her recipe for my Apple Pie Sunday pie with a few tweaks. It needs a little spicing up with cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2021 :  09:00:58 AM  Show Profile
Sara, this is very interesting! Did she list the varieties that she likes? My understanding of Crabapples is that they are best for making jelly and also necessary for cross pollination of several varieties today like the Jonathan. In my book titled, The Best Apples to Buy and Grow, it talks about notes from Jamestown and Virginia by 1686. Apparently, John Smith brought over cuttings from English stock of many fruits, including apples and they were not well suited to the harsh winters and hot summers of Virginia compared to the weather in England. As knowledge grew about grafting, apples varieties that were more climate suited became the mainstay of every home and plantation . Cider was used to replace water at meals because water was easily contaminated from lack of understanding about human and animal waste disposal.

I also read that the French trappers , who were on the new continent ahead of the English, in New York, Canada, and northern parts of New England also brought apples over. Unbeknown to the Jamestown settlers, there were apples from France arriving. These apple trees grew from the seeds of the fruit and produced various varieties of apples. Apparently crabapple trees existed in both northern and southern areas of the territory we now know as the US. The local crabapple trees cross pollinated with the seedling trees and produced new varieties. Some were successful and useful and others were not. It wasn't until people began to understand that the key to apples that were both edible and good for cider came best from proper grafting. Through grafting, they could consistently grow apples that had adapted to the climate and were successful producers.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2021 :  09:56:55 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, she didn't mention any apple by name.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2021 :  10:18:11 AM  Show Profile
The apple festival here coincides with the our apple festival here. We will be going. Not sure what I am making for apple pie Sunday. Will get input from my farmboy for that one.
Awesome that we can watch our mascot each year to see how it changes!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2021 :  5:48:14 PM  Show Profile
Pickled crab apples --Yum! You used to get them in restaurants you ordered pork chops but I haven't seen any in ages.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
Go to Top of Page

wildflower17
True Blue Farmgirl

3043 Posts

Judy
KY
USA
3043 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2021 :  09:37:27 AM  Show Profile

I love the pictures you posted Winnie!!! I can't wait to see what everyone will make for Apple Pie Sunday!!! Please share some pictures and a recipe if you get a chance!!!

Hugs!

Judy

God Has Been So Good To Me!!!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"...

"Country Girl at Heart...Blessed Beyond Measure"!!!

Farm Girl #5440
Farm Girl of The Month September 2013
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4848 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4848 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2021 :  10:46:15 AM  Show Profile

Picking Apples back in the Day!

Connie #3392
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2021 :  2:39:29 PM  Show Profile
I love this old photo!! If you look closely, the apple ladders get very narrow at the top so that they can fit up into the limbs at the top and access the many apples. I also noticed that the women all have long dresses on so I am thinking it must be chelate 1890s and early 1900s? Anyone have a good guess as to when this photo might have been taken?

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2021 :  1:22:12 PM  Show Profile
It looks like it could e anytime up to 1910 or so; possibly even slaves? That is one big apple tree!

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2021 :  2:30:47 PM  Show Profile
Wouldn't that many people in one tree be a sight to see?

It's finally raining here today. Our rain average is 21 inches Jan. to Dec. So to date, we should have had 13.13. We've received 2.90 inches, two of those last Jan. and Dec.

Knowing/hoping some rain was coming I harvested most of my peaches last night (to let them ripen inside). A few minutes ago I went "grocery shopping" again, but this time in the rain (fabulous feeling), six different kinds of pears and some seedless sweet grapes.

For our Annual Farmgirl Apple Festival this year I'm going to have three of my new B&B tent cabins ready for occupancy ... by my family. For one of the dinners I'm going to create two large apple crisps ala ice cream in one of my new round wood stove ovens (pictured below). Besides bouquets of flowers to greet everyone, I'll put bowls of apples around with ID tags on them, a selection of apples from around the farm with enough for them to take home after our weekend festivities end (and some exotic nibble cheeses). This year I have two new varieties of apples, pink lady and honey crisp, and of course, some of our mascot apples, Duchess of Odenburg.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2021 :  4:39:06 PM  Show Profile
MaryJane,
That sounds and looks like a wonderful place to relax and enjoy some time. I haven't had a chance to get out to see what apples are available at the farms here yet. Hoping to find some variety at the apple festival on Saturday next.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2021 :  7:10:33 PM  Show Profile
Love your tent cabins! Enjoy that rain, too. We sure need more of it. Apple crisp with vanilla ice cream is probably our fave dessert.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic 7th Annual September Apple Festival 2021! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page