Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 7th Annual September Apple Festival 2021!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Holidays: Previous Topic 7th Annual September Apple Festival 2021! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2021 :  09:06:14 AM  Show Profile
Wow, MaryJane, your new cabins are fantastic!! And I am curious about the new round wood stove and how it works? Is the flat top where you put the coffee to perk? Next weekend sounds like it is going to be a terrific family event and I do hope there will be photos to share here with us. By the way, what do you think is the best way to enjoy our Mascot apple, the Duchess of Oldenburg? I know what I can read from John Bunker's book, but in real time and real experience with this particular tree, what have you discovered? Inquiring minds want to know all the delicious details!

I am happy to hear that you are finally seeing a bit of rain relief! Your bowl of fruits from your garden looks beautiful and there is nothing like fresh picked at the right time to maximize flavor.

Things are getting exciting out Idaho way for the Apple Pie Sunday weekend!

Speaking of Apple Pie Sunday, I just want to remind everyone that next Sunday, September 26 is our official Apple Pie Sunday celebration. I hope many Farmgirls are planning a new way to enjoy their favorite apples. Will it be sweet or savory? Just make what you find is best for you.. If you can, please drop a note here about what you decided to make and any other tidbits about the celebration or apples used that you would like to share.

I have this image in my mind that on our Apple Pie Sunday, all across this Nation and maybe Canada and Australia, wonderful apple based dish smells are filling up homes and perhaps wafting out windows. A perfect ending to a fun tradition we all enjoy every September.

I will be making some sort of apple pie but not sure exactly which one. Apple pie is a favorite of mine and since I don't eat it that often, I always enjoy it when I make one.

A few years back when I was visiting my older sister in northern Virginia, we went by a little local bakery in late September and they had these apple pies for sale. We bought one and it was wonderful with a perfect crust and sweetness. YUM!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1119 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1119 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2021 :  12:08:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh Winnie, my mouth is watering at those beautiful pies! One year on my birthday as a teenager, my mom asked what type of birthday cake I wanted. I told her what I really wanted was an apple pie. My birthday is in February, so not the the typical time of year for them, but she made a very yummy pie just the same. Since that time I have discovered apple dumplings, so that is what I will probably make next Sunday.

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2021 :  07:24:34 AM  Show Profile
Good morning! Winnie, our wood stove oven has a temperature gauge and holds two racks. The heat/smoke from the wood fire circulates around the outside and then up and out the chimney. I had their earlier version and cooked a lemon meringue pie in it!

The apples on our Duchess are up high, the result of her having to reach for the sun during the years she was almost crowded out from the overrun, neglected orchard planted here in 1905. I leave my fruit ladders in my newer orchard during the summer so I can't easily pick her fruits. However, she drops some every day. I walk by at least once, sometimes twice/day, so I pick one up, rub it off on my sleeve to make it shine and dive in. They are delicious eaten fresh. I've made the occasional crisp and pie but haven't canned or frozen any. I let the deer eat them for the most part. I think I sent you some once.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2021 :  05:26:30 AM  Show Profile
MaryJane, thanks for getting back with us and filling in the details of this modern wood stove. I am absolutely fascinated by it. Will you be baking anything in it for Apple Pie Sunday celebration? If it makes a delicious and delicate lemon meringue pie, I am imagining it would bake anything well. I first thought about bread baking in it when I saw your photo. You sure did send me a few of our Mascot apples one year but I forget if you actually had it I officially identified as the Duchess of Oldenburg. I do remember the apples you sent were good . In my mind, I think walking to my apple orchard and picking a fresh apple and then eating it would be the best. Next time you pass by our girl the Duchess and find one ready for eating, send out some happy vibes over here to me in the Swamp!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16272 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16272 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2021 :  05:32:46 AM  Show Profile

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2021 :  1:07:58 PM  Show Profile
MaryJane, your tent cabin is gorgeous! One of these days I’ll have to get there to see them in person!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2021 :  06:28:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks MaryJane! It makes my mouth water just looking at the Duchess of Oldenburg and thinking about it being all crisp and juicy!!!! A cold front is passing down the state at the moment so our Masccot got a swift ride down her to the Swamp . YUM!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9244 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9244 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2021 :  08:48:42 AM  Show Profile
My goodness that apple looks tasty. Im imagining it is crispy, crunchy and juicy. Yum!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic 7th Annual September Apple Festival 2021! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page