Allison Clark
Chapter Guru / Farmgirl Guide / Sharpshooter

76 Posts

Allie
Nacona Texas
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2021 :  11:21:24 PM  Show Profile
I am sharing what I discovered about decorating your home green here in Merit Badge Chit Chat. In the beginner part of the merit badge, I shared ways to decorate my home. One of the ways was to recycle things such as your table. If you don't want your table anymore as opposed to chopping it up and throw it in the trash you put it on a freecycle website and someone will come pick it up. Or you could sand it down and refinish it and make it a new product for your own home. Also if you got a smart meter you could save energy on your home which I did. You can make your own cleaners so that you don't put bad things back into our environment. I buy recycled toilet paper recycled paper plates recycled paper for my crafts and recycled cups they even have recycled paper Eating utensils. If you buy plants for your home also that helps too, that is another way of decorating your home and make it look beautiful by using fresh plants.

Allison Clark

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2021 :  1:34:01 PM  Show Profile
Have you ever tried the recycled paper eating utensils? I have never tried them so I wonder how they work. I have made my own ant spray to help with some of the ants we have. So far I think it’s working and it helped eliminate chemicals from my home. Great work on your badge.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2021 :  05:34:57 AM  Show Profile
All great ideas Allison! Thank you for sharing then with. Best of luck with your Merit Badge journey.

Dawn in IL

"Every leaf speaks bliss to me, fluttering from the autumn tree." Emily Bronte
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

345 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
345 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2021 :  6:11:50 PM  Show Profile
For my intermediate "Build it Green" merit badge, I am sharing some of the "green" ideas that we have incorporated into the renovating & decorating of our home.

During the renovation process of our old Queenslander home, we used a number of "green" alternatives when renovating and decorating our home. Some of these included: energy-saving lightbulbs through the entire house, solar lights outdoors, indoor pot plants, black-out curtains for their cooling properties in the hot summer months, second-hand furniture and old furniture that we chose to up-cycle, and use of non-toxic paints. We also pulled all of the old carpet up to reveal beautiful timber floors. We had these professionally polished throughout the main living areas with an environmentally sustainable floor polish and then I painted the floor in our walk-in closet and sleep-out with a low VOC white floor paint. When we fixed up the casement windows, we reused the old casements but replaced the glass, sanded the timber window frames back and finished them with a clear polish. Reusing as many of the old fixtures as possible was not only a cost-saving exercise, but it also meant that we could maintain the heritage features of the house specific to the era in which it was built.

One of my most recent projects was to create a photo wall in our hallway. I had a lot of old frames in various shapes, sizes and colours. After much thought, I decided to recycle them. I painted them all black and scattered them in a display of black and white photos. I was really happy with the end result and I didn't have to buy any new frames.”

Farmgirl #6058
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2021

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  05:43:22 AM  Show Profile
beautiful picture wall, and great ideas ladies.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2021 :  11:39:57 AM  Show Profile
I have been using more "Bamboo" made products over regular products,,,, a bit more pricey but Bamboo is a sustainable abundant, easy to grow natural product..
Every thing from TP and straws to sheets and t-shirts and so much more. I would buy my TP and paper towels at the ALDIs store in California,,, but we don't have any up here in Washington... yet... so it is hit and miss at Trader Joes..
And yes you can buy Bamboo jersery and fabric on line....

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2021 :  10:03:38 AM  Show Profile
Allison, thanks for sharing all of the things you have been learning about in your Build it green badge. I enjoy hearing about the new projects the badge has inspired.

Cindy, your photo wall turned out great with all those up- cycled picture frames! Great idea that adds such a nice touch to your home as well.

Grace, bamboo grows like a weed down here in Florida, but it is popular for some gardens around here as well. I have used some kitchen utensils that are bamboo and they work well.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2021 :  4:45:17 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, We have a little 'snack shack by the botanical gardens,, and they use bamboo utencils, plates and straws. Awesome!

In SO Cal,, some home owners would plant bamboo on their property edges if it is on a hill or slop,, the root system of bamboo is very fiberous and massive so it sort of holds the dirt/soil together from eroding/washing away.
We grew it as earth quake prevention, again keeping the ground together.. that being said,, that was back in the 1960-70's.. I don't know if anyone does that anymore.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Build it green Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page