152 Posts

Candy
Oakley CA
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2022 :  7:21:48 PM  Show Profile
Each Other – Civic Heritage - Intermediate
Knightsen, California
In the early 1800’s, Knightsen California was growing dry crops such as Almonds, Apricots, Grapes, Alfalfa and many Dairy Cattle farms.
In 1898 the Santa Fe Railroad surveyed the area to have the railroad tracks go through towards Stockton. The plan was to have the first train active on the tracks by 1900.
The dairy farms milk and cream were shipped on boats from Babbes Landing, a part of Dutch Slough located at the north end of Sellers Ave. 2,500 gallons of milk went to the Bay Area each day.
In 1920, Knightsen was the biggest producer of milk in the whole state of California.
I live on Sellers Ave. in Oakley, close to the town of Knightse, so I looked up Edwin Sellers in the local town history and did not find much, so I am writing about George Knight, who the town of Knightsen is named after.
Local townsman, George Knight formed a committee to expand irrigation needs for the town of Knightsen. There were 7 local men who comprised this board. Irrigation would mean they could grow more diversified crops. Before they could get irrigation started, the local East Bay Water board got involved. George Knight, petitioned the Federal Government for a Post Office, to become a recognized town so they could remain in control of their area. George Knight became the postmaster for Knightsen for the first 13 years.
Candy Hoga #8283

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2022 :  1:23:50 PM  Show Profile
Great work Candy. Thank you for sharing some history about California.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Civic Heritage Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page