MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2022 :  2:37:14 PM  Show Profile
My father in law gave me a bunch of apples off of his tree. They are to soft to eat as is for my liking. I thought I could make apple butter or applesauce with them. I haven’t made either of them before. What would you make with the extra apples? Is one better than the other? Any tried and true recipes?

Krista

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2022 :  3:25:42 PM  Show Profile
Apple butter is thick applesauce; you have to watch it a bit closer to make sure it doesn't scorch on the bottom of the pan. Usually apple butter is to put on bread and toast. Applesauce is easier and faster. They are both good. I have never used a recipe; just cooked them down to the desired consistency and added cinnamon to taste.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2022 :  5:24:21 PM  Show Profile
My hubby and I did applesauce for the first time last year. It was fun and easy. If you aren’t really applesauce fans, there are lots of recipes out there for applesauce bread. :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2022 :  02:31:34 AM  Show Profile
If you don't know how the apples will cook down, do a few at first for apple sauce. Peel, core, cut up and add a little water. Cook down to the consistency you like. Then if they cook down nice, do a bigger batch. Apple butter can be cooked down in the oven too. No burning that way. Never say never, but it does go alot easier. You also add more spices to apple butter. You can also just peel, and slice and put the apples in the freezer. Then pull a bag out and partially thaw an cook down for apple sauce or pie or whatever.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2022 :  06:27:21 AM  Show Profile
Love both. Haven't made either for such a long time. Now I want to make some LOL

There is never a road so long that there isn't a curve in it.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2022 :  4:00:14 PM  Show Profile
I am doing both with my apples.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2022 :  08:25:15 AM  Show Profile
Krista, you can't go wrong doing both or one or the other. I came from a big family and my mother would take a bunch of gifted apples and make applesauce which we all devoured pretty quickly. Depending on how much you end up with, you can also put applesauce in jars and can for later if you think it won't be eaten in a reasonable amount of time.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2022 :  12:02:47 PM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies for the help. It sounds like applesauce is the best one to start with. I’ll make some of that first and if it’s a success I’ll try some apple butter.

Karen, applesauce bread sounds good. Thank you. I’ll look for a recipe.

Michele, thanks for the tip. I’ll start with a couple apples first.

Winnie, I don’t really know how to can yet. So for now I’ll do smaller batches. I’ll have to learn to can soon.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2022 :  03:11:41 AM  Show Profile
Krista, once you learn to can you will love it and starting with applesauce is easy. You can do that in a water bath canner instead of a pressure canner. I'd recommend getting a Ball canning book to get you started when you are ready. I cook my applesauce and apple butter in the crockpot.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

Edited by - levisgrammy on Nov 01 2022 03:12:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2022 :  1:33:12 PM  Show Profile
Denise, I still haven’t had a chance to try yet this week. It’s been super busy. But I was thinking of using my crockpot as well. I’m glad it works just as good. Thank you for the other information. I inherited something from my mom awhile ago. I believe it’s water bath canner. I’ll have to ask her.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2022 :  3:54:24 PM  Show Profile
Applesauce over applebutter. I like mine a little chunky. I peel & core the apples. Put them in a pot with a little water, just enough to cover the bottom of the pot. I turn the heat on once I have a few apples in the pot and I just keep adding more. Shake some cinnamon on. Stir often. I use a wooden spoon & chop the pieces up. If your apples are soft you might not need to chop then. Sprinkle some sugar on top once all the apples are cooked down. Mix the sugar in good & taste. Add more sugar if needed. I don't measure anything. You can make applesauce without sugar. It just depends on how sweet the apples are & how sweet you like your applesauce.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2022 :  12:53:14 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the tips Andrea. I have been babysitting extra kids and tomorrow I won’t have any. So my plan is to make the applesauce tomorrow. I’m super excited. These apples are kind of sweet so I will start out with just a tiny bit of sugar and then go from there.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2022 :  03:08:33 AM  Show Profile
Let us know how it comes out Krista! I love making my applesauce and apple butter without the sugar. I have made it using honey but really prefer the unsweetened. Apples are so good for us. I save the peels and cores, throw them in a big pot with water and cook them getting all that juicy goodness out. Then I strain them in a jelly bag and use the juice to make apple jelly. Mom always used as much of the parts of everything that she could.I have never made my apple jelly any other way.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Edited by - levisgrammy on Nov 08 2022 03:11:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2022 :  11:57:59 AM  Show Profile
I do the same as Andrea for applesauce. It all depends on the kind of apple for the sugar - some have none some have some. Once I put too much cinnamon in and had to add some more sugar LOL! I hope yours turns out well!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2022 :  1:40:51 PM  Show Profile
That is so neat Denise. Your mom was very smart to use every bit she could. I always find myself wishing I had a way to use my left over peels and such of all fruits and veggies. That is a great idea.

Thanks Heather. The apples are in the crockpot now. I will report back here later. I’m getting excited!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2022 :  4:06:44 PM  Show Profile
I have read that you can use the peels to make pectin for jam making.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2022 :  08:55:09 AM  Show Profile
Judith that is why it is easy to make apple jelly from the peels. All the pectin gets in there too.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2022 :  11:05:14 AM  Show Profile
The article I read involved boiling the peels down with water to make a liquid pectin to use in making other kinds of jam and jelly., like berries, plum, etc. I wanted to try it but missed out on apple season this year. Maybe next year I'll try a little bit. I used to make 50-60 pints of jam a yer when I had growing kids but don't need much anymore; just a couple jars a year is enough anymore.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2022 :  4:20:29 PM  Show Profile
The applesauce turned out great! All my kids love it. At the very last second I chose to leave out the sugar. I'm glad I did because it very sweet as is. But I did add cinnamon. Thanks for all the help. Now to try some apple butter!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2022 :  6:50:39 PM  Show Profile
It looks so good Krista. I don't think it will last long :-)

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2022 :  6:40:42 PM  Show Profile
Yum, Krista!! Looks so good!!

You can use apple peels to make apple cider vinegar too. :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2022 :  1:23:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks!

It’s amazing all the things you can make with apples!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2022 :  2:00:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi Krista,

Looks good! I would add that applesauce is good, too, because you can bake with it. You can add 1/2 the amount of applesauce to oil as a healthier choice when baking. Makes things like quick breads and cakes very moist.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2022 :  2:07:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Nicole! I like the idea of using applesauce instead. I will have to try it. I would assume it’s applesauce without cinnamon correct?

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Apple butter or applesauce? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page